Reading the floor

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Bob the Builder

Reading the floor

#1 Post by Bob the Builder » Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:37 pm

I was DJing a small event last Week. And it seemed to be going very well. I was playing some new stuff, and from what I could see the dancers were looking happy. The dance floor had its usual number of people on it.
However I discovered later on that some people found some of the stuff I DJed not very interesting songs to dance to.
As a DJ what do you do here? How can you tell if people are not really digging the charts you are DJing if they are all dancing to them.
Has anyone got tips on reading the floor?

Bob :D

julius

#2 Post by julius » Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:53 pm

ask someone who is dancing (that you know) what the floor thinks.

also, if dancers aren't telling you they are dissatisfied and the floor looks OK to you, then you aren't under much obligation to change things up.

gatorgal

#3 Post by gatorgal » Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:26 pm

Yeah, I always love people who come to me after I've stopped playing to tell me that that they didn't like this or they liked that. I always remind them that's information I would like in the moment, you know.

There's no way to tell if you're hitting the right chord so to speak...the only way you know is by looking on the floor... if there are bodies there you must be doing something right. You're a DJ, not a mindreader. Take heart that you've done the best you can and go home happy.

Now, if I could only follow my own advice...

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Platypus

#4 Post by Platypus » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:04 pm

I have a group of people whom I trust and who give me the straight up scoop. If I have an off-night, I usually know that night.

JesseMiner

#5 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:41 am

If you have complete confidence in your skills and ability to introduce quality new material, then usually you just know if people are digging the selections. I know quite quickly myself if I've spun a dud and have made a mental note about it well before anyone comments on it. If you are ever unsure, definitely ask for feedback. That is of course as long as you are prepared for what you might hear and are willing to take it as constructive criticism - don't go getting too defensive! We want our crowds to be thoroughly enjoying themselves, not just grinning and bearing it.

Jesse

Lawrence

#6 Post by Lawrence » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:04 pm

gatorgal wrote:Yeah, I always love people who come to me after I've stopped playing to tell me that that they didn't like this or they liked that. I always remind them that's information I would like in the moment, you know.
That's what "he" said.... :wink:
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Lawrence

Re: Reading the floor

#7 Post by Lawrence » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:10 pm

Bob the Builder wrote:As a DJ what do you do here? How can you tell if people are not really digging the charts you are DJing if they are all dancing to them.
Has anyone got tips on reading the floor?

Bob :D
I try dancing to my own material, but sometimes that only reveals either my limitations/biases as a dancer or the limitations/biases of the other people at the dance. As a result, trying to learn what other people like in "other" music helps me understand what "they" want so that I can provide it, and perhaps broaden my own horizons, as well.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com