A business or a hobby?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Greg Avakian

#16 Post by Greg Avakian » Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:22 am

Both. I was doing the teaching/DJing thing full time for about 3 years, but I've found that if I travel, i don't devote much time to my local scene and my classes suffer dramaticly. I can make more money as an electricain/free-lance loafer, so now I do that and teach/DJ for fun and extra cash/free travel.

gatorgal

#17 Post by gatorgal » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:28 am

Free lance loafer, huh? Makes me long for the days when I was a college student and expected to do nothing with my life.

Ahh... those were the days!

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Ron

#18 Post by Ron » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:13 am

Definitely just a hobby.

falty411

#19 Post by falty411 » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:28 pm

JesseMiner wrote:I have never understood the thinking that just because you do something for work that you will then cease to love doing it.

Jesse
its not that you cant love it still, but if it is your means of survival, then you are more willing to do things you wouldnt normally do so you can get that extra paycheck. (saying "you" as general, not meaning you).

we in the hood call this "selling out"

i look at listening to and dancing to swing music as a way of life, not a hobby. Me DJing somewhere is another opportunity for me to listen and share the music I love.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Jake

#20 Post by Jake » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:02 pm

I do it to keep my teenage fanclub happy. Plus if you are good, sometimes they'll take you to a nice restaurant or buy you drinks. But mostly I do it out of a perverse desire to be as cool as Julie, like that'll ever happen.