Critical mass?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Matthew

Critical mass?

#1 Post by Matthew » Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:41 am

Last night we had a small swing-dance for Freshmen. It wasn't very well advertised (in other words, I wasn't the one responsible for the event or the advertising), so the "crowd" was more like a "bunch."

I played some stuff because their DJ just let the CD spin. I found that I had to be very selective about what I played, otherwise nobody would dance. I think this may have been due to the fact that we didn't have the "critical mass" that we needed. Or maybe not.

What do you think about critical mass? Is there such a thing? If so, how would you define it? How do you change your selections to suit the number of dancers?

Thanks for any help.

Lawrence

#2 Post by Lawrence » Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:11 pm

Critical mass is one of the, if not THE most, essential element in putting on a successful event. What makes a critical mass depends on the group and the venue, but it is IMMENSELY important.

As a music snob, I wish the quality of music mattered more. As a dancer, I wish the quality of dancing mattered more. But both are very distant seconds to critical mass.

Moreover, if it doesn't happen in the first month or so, the buzz about a new venue goes down and likely will never recover: people unconsciously associate it with the absence of critical mass. Same thing in the club/bar scene. You don't go back to a boring place.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

yedancer

#3 Post by yedancer » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:46 am

If I understand you correctly, you're talking about the number of people at a venue or event. I personally agree with Lawrence that this is one of the single most important aspects of a venue. With a ton of people, the music can be crappy but people can still have a good time. With not enough people, the venue will suck no matter how good the music.

I don't think a DJ can do much when there's low attendance, except play to the crowd as usual. Of course, a sucky DJ can make an off-night even worse, but a good DJ can keep even a small crowd dancing. I've DJ'd nights when there's only 20-30 people in attendance. I hate those nights, but by paying attention to the "crowd" and catering to them, I've been able to keep a good number around until closing.

The responsibility in getting people to come is up to the venue promoters, not the DJ. I personally believe that the general location of the venue, the layout of the interior, the lighting, and a host of other factors all play into whether or not "critical mass" is achieved. It's a tricky game that sometimes just boils down to luck.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Greg Avakian

Re: Critical mass?

#4 Post by Greg Avakian » Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:50 am

Matthew wrote:How do you change your selections to suit the number of dancers?
One thing I learned at Summer hummer: when there is hardly anyone in the room and you have two distinct groups of slow/fast dancers, do not play a mid-tempo song.