It's the smaller things in life

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

omsuperhoops

It's the smaller things in life

#1 Post by omsuperhoops » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:58 pm

Hey fellow Djs,

I was talking to fellow Dj's about other fellow Dj's and we got on the topic about how other fellows play a weird moment every now and again when they DJ.

I call this Guilty Pleasure songs sometimes, other times, I would call it songs you play just to mess with the crowd...

For Example: I did the hack bit and played Posin and paused it for an extended period of time-- at THAT part. Just to get a laugh in...(it's melancholy all the way up in the Dj booth sometimes...I needed a few chucks)
Or I would play a TERRIBLE Neo-swing just to get the glares of death from the experienced dancers we have....

Just to mention, I would only do this with my local scene, because my attitude and demeanor is relatively known and it's all in good fun. I dont think I have the cajones to do this in a foriegn scene or at an event...AND I do not do this every time I DJ but sparingly, maybe 4 or 5 times a year...

How do you guys play with your dancers? if at all...(maybe...I am on an island...)

Surreal

#2 Post by Surreal » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:37 am

I played these as jokes once... and now they get requested :roll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg_DA6DQkJo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ3OLswKKAw

omsuperhoops

#3 Post by omsuperhoops » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:34 pm

that's what I am talking about, I thought I was on an island...I can't believe they get requested...LOL

Surreal

#4 Post by Surreal » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:50 am

My home crowd is pretty good for dancing to just about anything. Classic rock, neo swing, rockabilly, top40 with a danceable beat or sometimes not; it's all fair game. I typically stick to "standard" fare, but later in the night is usually when the more eclectic music pops up.

I actually played the jazzy pokemon song at an out-of-town event last year. I was worried about the reaction, but the funny thing is that maybe only half the room noticed. A few of the kids were thrilled that they danced to the pokemon song and ran up to me asking who sang it. Another guy was really enjoying the song and grooving to it *until* he realized what it was, then got really mad :roll: That same night I also played a gypsy jazz version of the Mario Bros 2 theme song. Those were the best WTF looks I've ever gotten.

I love those moments where I'm watching the dancers really getting into a song, then when the familiar refrain hits the dance literally stops and they just stare at me in bewilderment. This is usually followed by me shouting "Dance you monkeys dance!" and all returns to normal. 8)

omsuperhoops

#5 Post by omsuperhoops » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:01 am

LOVE IT!! I haven't had the courage to play the gypsy mario song i have....you might've just inspired for more late shenanigans...:)

Surreal

#6 Post by Surreal » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:26 pm

Is it the version by Adrian Holovaty?

The other best WTF moment I've had was not at a swing event, but a salsa/tango one. I played a tango version of Smells Like Teen Spirit :lol:

omsuperhoops

#7 Post by omsuperhoops » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:35 pm

I actually dont know who the creator of it, I only have it as MArio Theme song...I went through a phase where I was looking for a BUNCH of video game themes to throw out when I dj, but even though I collected quite a few...i never actually used any....

Surreal

#8 Post by Surreal » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:06 pm

I've got a few that I collected for that purpose too, but gypsy Mario 2 song is the best of the bunch. I did play a Donkey Kong Jungle song one time, though that was late at night and people were just goofing around by then. Actually, we did a whole video game theme night once. It wasn't video game music the whole night, but sprinkled every couple songs or so.

penguin

#9 Post by penguin » Thu May 02, 2013 6:34 am

Didn't Morgan Day use the gypsy version of Mario 2 theme in his showcase? I imagine that the wika wika wika southern californian correspondent would know the artist.

omsuperhoops

#10 Post by omsuperhoops » Thu May 02, 2013 6:45 am

He talks about the songs in his blog, http://ickeroo.blogspot.com/2012/07/bui ... how-i.html