No DJs during band breaks?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

yedancer

No DJs during band breaks?

#1 Post by yedancer » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:41 pm

I've noticed that at some local venues (not run by dancers but where people regularly swing dance), the band breaks are never DJ'd. People don't dance, but instead take the time to have some drinks and hang out. It doesn't seem to affect attendance, which started me thinking about the whole DJ'd band breaks thing.

Is it really necessary? If lindy venues and exchanges did away with DJ'd breaks, would it be bad or good, or would it not matter at all? I know people want to get "their money's worth" and all, but wouldn't 15 minutes of cool-down time be a good thing? Of course, the venues I've noticed this at all serve alcohol, so maybe that has something to do with it.

What would be the pro's and con's of having no DJ'd band breaks?
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Nate Dogg

Re: No DJs during band breaks?

#2 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:46 pm

yedancer wrote:I've noticed that at some local venues (not run by dancers but where people regularly swing dance), the band breaks are never DJ'd. People don't dance, but instead take the time to have some drinks and hang out. It doesn't seem to affect attendance, which started me thinking about the whole DJ'd band breaks thing.

Is it really necessary? If lindy venues and exchanges did away with DJ'd breaks, would it be bad or good, or would it not matter at all? I know people want to get "their money's worth" and all, but wouldn't 15 minutes of cool-down time be a good thing? Of course, the venues I've noticed this at all serve alcohol, so maybe that has something to do with it.

What would be the pro's and con's of having no DJ'd band breaks?
Our club venues are like that (Antones, Mother Egan's).

My take is that if you surveyed the dancers, they would much rather dance during the breaks. However, rarely is the music played during the breaks danceable, it is also not very loud.

People hang out because they have nothing else to do. For the most part, most of them came to dance (with the exception of the lounge folks who rarely dance anyway, those folks spend most of their time socializing whether there is a band or not).

Roy

#3 Post by Roy » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:47 pm

For a dance venue I think it is needed iregardless if there are drinks served or not. If it's a bar atmosphere and more people are there to drink then to dance you can do it.

Lawrence

#4 Post by Lawrence » Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:08 pm

I can't imagine anyone PREFERRING no music during band breaks.

The Hothouse in Chicago played random, undanceable CDs between band breaks. So I started bringing my minidisc player, patching it into the sound board, and "DJing" the band breaks for free. The dancers were thrilled, and the non-dancers only noticed it because they could continue watching the dancers.

Although I certainly understand why they happen, I do not like strategies that artificially encourage people to purchase more than they otherwise are willing. I also don't like infomercials or dance venues that refuse to serve tap water for similar reasons. I would prefer the venue charge a buck or two more at the door than try to squeeze a few extra drinks out of a few people. Nonetheless, even if the purpose is to increase drink revenue, it's not the worst thing that can happen.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

kbuxton

#5 Post by kbuxton » Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:52 pm

Not that we have a regular live music night anymore but... in Portland that would have been a disaster since we've got a couple of local bands known for taking 45 minute band breaks.

cianna

#6 Post by cianna » Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:47 pm

I'd say that the big con from an event producer's standpoint is killing the mood of the night. When there's no music, that's when people start to realize that they're tired and then take off...

On the other hand, I believe that a DJ must balance keeping the mood going without trying to compete with the band. Something that feels appropriate to taking a break while still keeping the energy going.

I can't think of a "pro"...

yedancer

#7 Post by yedancer » Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:56 am

The pro that I can think of would be the build-up of expectation for the band. When you don't hear any good music during the break, it makes it that much more exciting when the band starts up again.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Mr Awesomer

#8 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:01 am

People who stop dancing for 15 minutes or so are more likely to actually support the venue. Cover charges usually just barely cover the band, if at all.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

mark0tz

#9 Post by mark0tz » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:13 am

Ya, what they said. And it allows you to socialize a bit more with the people you dance with, but never get a chance to have a conversation with (since they don't go out afterwards or whatever). Allows the establishment, should they sell alcohol, to make some money there. Gives you an excuse to rest, change, chill... My preference is still to keep the music going, though, in some way shape or form.
Mike Marcotte

yedancer

#10 Post by yedancer » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:32 pm

The reason I brought this up is because I was thinking of suggesting something like this for our weekly live music venue. It's at a bar, and I, too, think that giving people a break makes them more likely to buy some drinks. Of course, another down side is that if the band really, really sucks, then the regular dancers are likely to leave out of frustration.
-Jeremy

mark0tz

#11 Post by mark0tz » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:39 am

hrmm, yea, and if dancers want to get a drink at the bar, i don't think having music or not having music during a band break will have too much affect on them getting their fix. Perhaps a variety of music during band-break, though, would mix things up (kinda like the recordings you hear at the Savoy) to make all-dancer-types feel more inclined to take a break and get a drink.
Mike Marcotte

falty411

#12 Post by falty411 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:19 am

At this Jazz bar we dance at in Minneapolis, The Times, they set the radio station during the band breaks to a channel that plays all swing and the volume is kinda low . Its not loud enough that youd want to dance to it, but you can still hear it. Makes for nice ambiance and keeps your soul moving. I like getting the chance to sit down and talk with all my friends and drink during the break. Plus we are actually there for the band's music.....not just for the dancing, so we are ok with waiting for them to come back on.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

JohnDyer

#13 Post by JohnDyer » Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:48 pm

If the band really is awful or if they tend to play all one style or one tempo, then DJing the breaks gives the dancers some much needed variety, assuming the DJ is paying attention.
John Dyer, Denver CO

Ron

#14 Post by Ron » Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:57 am

Yeah, I really think you need dance music during band breaks. Besides the reasons mentioned by others, a lot of dancers are such die-hards they don't know what to do with themselves when there isn't dance music on.

JesseMiner

#15 Post by JesseMiner » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:19 am

When it is a swing night being put on for dancers, there is always swinging music played during band breaks. It would seem weird to me not to have it. When it is just a great band playing at a random bar/club, not necessarily put on for dancers, then I'm used to and perfectly cool with not hearing swinging music during band breaks.

In Minneapolis for a long time we had both of these situations. The Quest put on a huge swing night where they had a house band AND a headlining band (local or national), and I would DJ the band breaks. People would dance non-stop all night long. On the other hand we regularly went out to dance to a wonderful jump blues band The Senders at Famous Dave's BBQ. We were dancing on concrete in the space between the dining tables and the stage and were perfectly fine just hanging out between sets.

So I guess it's all about expectations.

Jesse