Lindy exchanges local or national DJ's

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

djstarr

#46 Post by djstarr » Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:09 pm

julius wrote:My feeling is that if you go to something billed as a lindy exchange, you, as a dancer, should be prepared to hear almost anything under the sun. You will probably have more fun that way. Open ears, open mind, maximal fun.
Amen brother!

djstarr

#47 Post by djstarr » Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:17 pm

Roy wrote:I think that if there is going to be a fast set at late night and there are no other options (i.e. multiple rooms) in our current dance enviornment some dancers will get upset. The only exception I can see to this is cities known for faster tempos, LA & DC, people go there expecting fast music.
well maybe Seattle is trying to be known for fast music now too :D

And I made friends with a guy from Chicago when I was at LindyBinge this year (he was staying at the same house with me) - he complained the whole weekend that the music was too fast....but maybe he hadn't heard they play fast music in LA? (at least at the Binge).

julius

#48 Post by julius » Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:29 pm

Yes, I agree that too often people take it too personally when something they like is attacked. But all it means is that they don't just like it, they LOVE it. I appreciate passion about music.

At any rate, I still think that there are shades of gray all over the issue. You don't have to play ALL fast music or ALL bluesy music at a late night. A good DJ or group of DJs can gradually shade the music in one direction or another ... but that requires coordination between the DJs. A better solution is just for the organizers to set their own agenda for late night and schedule DJs in such a way that their musical vision occurs.

Lawrence

#49 Post by Lawrence » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:17 pm

julius wrote:Yes, I agree that too often people take it too personally when something they like is attacked. But all it means is that they don't just like it, they LOVE it. I appreciate passion about music.
Exactly. Were I to ramble on from where I left off, that would have been the next thing I would have noted.

I dig the passion, and I understand it getting personal because I fall into the same trap, myself. :oops: But it still need not get personal. Keep it about encouraging others with enthusiasm, not condemning them with condescention.
julius wrote:At any rate, I still think that there are shades of gray all over the issue. You don't have to play ALL fast music or ALL bluesy music at a late night. A good DJ or group of DJs can gradually shade the music in one direction or another ... but that requires coordination between the DJs.
Agreed, again, and we are already planning to do that in Austin. But the shades of grey do not belie that the distinct poles at either end do actually exist, nor that there are a substantial number of people who stand at either end. I also do understand and respect the "LindyBingers" wanting to have a whole weekend to themselves.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Lawrence

#50 Post by Lawrence » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:40 pm

main_stem wrote:The thing is there is much more to blues than just slow mournful music. It is a musical form that has been an invaluable [influence on] jazz since it's inception, be it slow testemant or an uptempo stomp. Would Basie be Basie without the blues? Too often people, DJs and dancers, just seem to think of it in one dimentional terms of tempo and never try to understand the idiom fully.
I will say this though there were defnitely people who were just interested in grinding on each other all night. I recomend that they just go play spin the bottle. They'll probably have more fun.
I agree wholeheartedly, and have been making the same point for years. I do just want to add that there are plenty of "blues dancers" who enjoy more than just grinding and dry humping complete strangers and who appreciate the finer "art" of riding that razor's edge between independently wiggling ahead of the beat and overtly humping each other way behind (and even off) the beat. Most good blues dancers enjoy manifesting the rich, romantic sensuality of the music without turning it into an orgy.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

falty411

#51 Post by falty411 » Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:08 am

Lawrence wrote:I agree wholeheartedly, and have been making the same point for years. I do just want to add that there are plenty of "blues dancers" who enjoy more than just grinding and dry humping complete strangers and who appreciate the finer "art" of riding that razor's edge between independently wiggling ahead of the beat and overtly humping each other way behind (and even off) the beat. Most good blues dancers enjoy manifesting the rich, romantic sensuality of the music without turning it into an orgy.
I would say the percentage of those is far too small. real blues dancing is incredible. but when the room starts to smell like sex.......thats when i leave.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

main_stem

#52 Post by main_stem » Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:09 am

Lawrence wrote: I agree wholeheartedly, and have been making the same point for years. I do just want to add that there are plenty of "blues dancers" who enjoy more than just grinding and dry humping complete strangers and who appreciate the finer "art" of riding that razor's edge between independently wiggling ahead of the beat and overtly humping each other way behind (and even off) the beat. Most good blues dancers enjoy manifesting the rich, romantic sensuality of the music without turning it into an orgy.
So true. I love a good blues dance. It's like Argentin Tango to me. When it's good it's good, but when it's bad it's painful.

-Kevin
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

main_stem

#53 Post by main_stem » Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:14 am

djstarr wrote:
well maybe Seattle is trying to be known for fast music now too :D
Gawd no. If anything Seattle does not fit any of the conveient labels peoepl use to describe us or other scenes.

-Kevin
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

falty411

#54 Post by falty411 » Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:48 am

main_stem wrote: Gawd no. If anything Seattle does not fit any of the conveient labels peoepl use to describe us or other scenes.

-Kevin
funny, i think the term "Crap Town" accurately describes it

hee hee
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Roy

#55 Post by Roy » Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:22 am

I think you should write a book "how to make friends and influence people."

falty411

#56 Post by falty411 » Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:26 am

Roy wrote:I think you should write a book "how to make friends and influence people."
"How to loose friends and kill people"
-mikey faltesek

falty411

#57 Post by falty411 » Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:28 am

funkyfreak wrote:It's even worse when the "Blues Room" plays more swinging music than the "Lindy Room"...

-FF
TOO TRUE!!! HAHHAHA!
-mikey faltesek

Lawrence

#58 Post by Lawrence » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:55 am

Roy wrote:[To Falty:] I think you should write a book "how to make friends and influence people."
Didn't you mean "read" instead of "write?" :wink:
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

Nate Dogg

#59 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:16 pm

Principles from the best-selling classics - "How to Win Friends and Influence People" - Dale Carnegie

Become a Friendlier Person
1. Don't criticize, condemn or complain.

2. Give honest, sincere appreciation.

3. Arouse in the person an eager want.

4. Become genuinely interested in other people.

5. Smile.

6. Remember that a person's name is to that person the sweetest and most important sound in any language.

7. Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves.

8. Talk in terms of other person's interests.

9. Make the other person feel important - and do it sincerely.

Win People to Your Way of Thinking

10. The only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it.

11. Show respect for the other person's opinion. Never say, " you're wrong."

12. If you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically.

13. Begin in a friendly way.

14. Get the other person saying, "yes, yes" immediately.

15. Let the other person do a great deal of talking.

16. Let the other person feel that the idea is his or hers.

17. Try honestly to see things from the other person's point of view.

18. Be sympathetic with the other person's ideas or desires.

19. Appeal to the nobler motives.

20. Dramatize your ideas.

21. Throw down a challenge.

Be a Leader

22. Begin with praise and honest appreciation.

23. Call attention to people's mistakes indirectly.

24. Talk about your own mistakes before criticizing the other person.

25. Let the other person save face.

26. Ask questions instead of giving direct orders.

27. Praise the slightest improvement and praise every improvement. Be "hearty in your approbation and lavish in your praise."

28. Give the person a fine reputation to live up to.

29. Use encouragement. Make the fault seem easy to correct.

30. Make the other person happy about doing the thing you suggest.

Swifty

#60 Post by Swifty » Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:29 pm

31(?). Post early, post often