outdoors vs. indoors?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

falty411

#31 Post by falty411 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:30 pm

Im always down for any kind of battle. Of course, I can actually back up what i say online, on or off the dance floor.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

KevinSchaper

#32 Post by KevinSchaper » Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:36 pm

falty411 wrote:Im always down for any kind of battle. Of course, I can actually back up what i say online, on or off the dance floor.
haha, unless it's "I'm coming to seattle"

CafeSavoy

#33 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:50 pm

GuruReuben wrote:Even better!
You can have it at the LA Binge and call it The Measure Off.

lindyholic

#34 Post by lindyholic » Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:10 pm

Yes, that would be awesome...

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

falty411

#35 Post by falty411 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:35 pm

KevinSchaper wrote:
haha, unless it's "I'm coming to seattle"
see you in september! ;)
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

lindyholic

#36 Post by lindyholic » Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:39 pm

Battle it up in Seattle DJ style I say...it seems a lot of people from this board will be there anyways...My Chick Webb will take you any day, any time.

Harrison

main_stem

#37 Post by main_stem » Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:02 am

lindyholic wrote:Battle it up in Seattle DJ style I say...it seems a lot of people from this board will be there anyways...My Chick Webb will take you any day, any time.

Harrison
You mean the one CD you own? :wink:
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

main_stem

#38 Post by main_stem » Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:04 am

falty411 wrote:
KevinSchaper wrote:
see you in september! ;)
Please don't be like the WMDs. Actually I'm glad you canceled this last time because I was in a plane coming back to Seattle that night.

-Kevin
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

lindyholic

#39 Post by lindyholic » Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:26 am

main_stem wrote:
lindyholic wrote:Battle it up in Seattle DJ style I say...it seems a lot of people from this board will be there anyways...My Chick Webb will take you any day, any time.

Harrison
You mean the one CD you own? :wink:
It's 4 now!

Harrison

yedancer

#40 Post by yedancer » Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:54 am

Relating to the initial question, one of our most popular venues in San Diego is an outdoor venue. At least, I'm told it's popular, I rarely make it there. It is an awesome location right on the bay, behind a resort, with a restaraunt and bar just seconds away. Sand is put on the conrcrete to make it easier to dance on. I personally hate dancing on concrete, but apparently it doesn't bother most people.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Lawrence

#41 Post by Lawrence » Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:27 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:Maybe a dj battle and dance-off, you trade songs and you each have to dance to every song.
That would raise an interesting conflict of interest: playing good music to win the DJ battle or play bad (or exhausting or boring) music to intentionally throw the other contestant off in the dance-off.

A more interesting battle would be to play the OTHER DJ's preference: I play my "classic" music from before 1945, and he plays his "groove" music from after 1960. Then again, he might object to this alternative to boxing at the flagpole because it might only get us to appreciate the other's tastes and preferences a bit more.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

falty411

#42 Post by falty411 » Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:37 pm

Lawrence wrote: A more interesting battle would be to play the OTHER DJ's preference: I play my "classic" music from before 1945, and he plays his "groove" music from after 1960. .
that would make for an interesting battle.

but why would i own music I dont like?
-mikey faltesek

lindyholic

#43 Post by lindyholic » Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:41 pm

The losers would be the audience because the DJ is playing music he doesn't know or like.

Harrison

Lawrence

#44 Post by Lawrence » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:28 pm

lindyholic wrote:The losers would be the audience because the DJ is playing music he doesn't know or like.
Only during his set. :) ... which is kinda my point (and Ron's a few month's ago).... He might actually benefit from losing the shades and dropping the attitude so he can see WHY so many people dig different kinds of swing music, not just the classic stuff: outdoors AND indoors. (Obthread reference).

The reason I play classic stuff is not because I resentfully want to please a stupid crowd of unenlightened classic freaks who don't agree with my ultimate preference for more modern music, as he has implied several times. I play the classic stuff because it's also great stuff and provides not only a history lesson but also some different flavor/rhythm for everyone to enjoy.

If he learned to enjoy more than just ham and cheese sandwiches, he might enjoy lunchtime a bit more and not try to fight everyone after school.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

falty411

#45 Post by falty411 » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:54 pm

Lawrence wrote:He might actually benefit from losing the shades

the sun never sets on cool
Lawrence wrote: so he can see WHY so many people dig different kinds of swing music, not just the classic stuff: outdoors AND indoors. (Obthread reference).

I understand why everyone enjoys different types of music. It comes down to personal preference. There is just a lack of a particular style of music at most of "our" events. If people truly dont enjoy that style of music outdoors or indoors than thats fine. But if they dont enjoy it simply because they lack the skills required to dance to it, thats a whole other story.
Lawrence wrote:If he learned to enjoy more than just ham and cheese sandwiches, he might enjoy lunchtime a bit more and not try to fight everyone after school.
you have to taste a little bit of everything before you can truly refine your tastes. I have tasted it all and found only one thing really satisfies my appetite.
-mikey faltesek