The last 5 songs of the night - managing the ending

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Haydn

The last 5 songs of the night - managing the ending

#1 Post by Haydn » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:53 am

I've just been thinking about how to end the night ... say the last 5 songs.

I usually have one or two songs lined up to end on. Typically a slowish popular number like 'Yes Indeed' by Sly Oliver or 'Be Careful If You Can't Be Good' by Buddy Johnson. I've found this sort of song normally works well as a last song :)

But I'm not sure how to lead up to the ending. I think I put most of my focus into getting the energy going and I tend to forget about managing the ending.

How do you manage the ending of the night? I'm thinking about things like energy and tempo. I'm sure it's something to do with the energy, but I can't put my finger on it somehow.

trev

#2 Post by trev » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:49 pm

I finish with One O'clock Jump and then play Girl From Impanema on low volume to get everyone to go home.

Well at least 50% of the time anyway ;)

Haydn

#3 Post by Haydn » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:30 am

Thanks for the post Trev.

I was thinking more about the lead up to the last song, say the last 5.

dogpossum

#4 Post by dogpossum » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:16 pm

I usually play a song that everyone knows and likes for the last song, something at a moderate tempo, because I find everyone tries to dance that last song. That's if I'm finishing the night.
If I'm followed by another DJ I try to play something high energy that'll fill the floor so the next DJ has something to work with, and so that people are left with good memories of my set :D

RE the 5 or so songs before I end... ummm... I don't usually have a plan. Often the last three or so are spent sorting out the next DJ, organising birthday/welcome dances (which I like to do between sets), etc etc. That's if I'm going first, which I prefer to do at usual weekly gigs, as I like to dance the last part of the night.
If I'm the last DJ I'm usually just working the wave, and generally trying to see just how manic I can make the dancers, playing crazy high energy music. If it's a slightly longer set, I've usually spent the penultimate block of songs easing off a bit so dancers get a rest (emotionally if not physically - I play less high energy or less intense music), so I go a bit harder in the final block.

To be honest, I don't plan my sets that carefully, and I very rarely plan any part of my set beyond the first few songs before I begin. And even then, I'm picking songs in the five minutes before my set starts, working on what the DJ before or the class before has been doing. So I really don't know what I usually do in the last part of my sets, and I find the crowd/heat (especially in summer)/venue/event will dictate what's going to happen.

Eyeball

#5 Post by Eyeball » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:22 am

trev wrote:I finish with One O'clock Jump and then play Girl From Impanema on low volume to get everyone to go home.

Well at least 50% of the time anyway ;)
The Girl From Ipanema - What? No like? Masterpiece with Stan Getz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Z11obllEQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJkxFhFRFDA
Will big bands ever come back?

Haydn

#6 Post by Haydn » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:28 pm

dogpossum wrote:I usually play a song that everyone knows and likes for the last song, something at a moderate tempo, because I find everyone tries to dance that last song. That's if I'm finishing the night.
I try to do that too :)
dogpossum wrote:RE the 5 or so songs before I end... ummm... I don't usually have a plan. If I'm the last DJ I'm usually just working the wave, and generally trying to see just how manic I can make the dancers, playing crazy high energy music. If it's a slightly longer set, I've usually spent the penultimate block of songs easing off a bit so dancers get a rest (emotionally if not physically - I play less high energy or less intense music), so I go a bit harder in the final block.

To be honest, I don't plan my sets that carefully, and I very rarely plan any part of my set beyond the first few songs before I begin. And even then, I'm picking songs in the five minutes before my set starts, working on what the DJ before or the class before has been doing. So I really don't know what I usually do in the last part of my sets, and I find the crowd/heat (especially in summer)/venue/event will dictate what's going to happen.
I know what you mean about planning. So often, I plan a lot of 'new' lesser-known high-tempo numbers which I think experienced dancers might like, only to find the crowd are mainly beginners who want slow and steady. And I think it's important for the energy that it feels 'fresh', which is more likely if the DJ is responding spontaneously to the crowd. I do shortlist songs that I think might be new for the crowd at a particular venue.

I suppose it's a bit different when it comes to the end of the night though. You can't respond to the crowd if they want to carry on dancing for another hour but the promoter said you have to finish by 12 ;). I normally find I shortlist a few possible 'last songs'. And then when it gets to 20 minutes before the 'last song' I start to think about how I am going to get there, but it's never a smooth journey - if that makes sense.

Gong-Oh

#7 Post by Gong-Oh » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:44 pm

Haydn wrote: I suppose it's a bit different when it comes to the end of the night though. You can't respond to the crowd if they want to carry on dancing for another hour but the promoter said you have to finish by 12 ;). I normally find I shortlist a few possible 'last songs'. And then when it gets to 20 minutes before the 'last song' I start to think about how I am going to get there, but it's never a smooth journey - if that makes sense.
My 2 pennies are that maybe you don't need to plan a 'closing path' so early as 20 minutes before your last song. You could play whatever you think fit for the crowd till the last 10 minutes, then pick 1 or 2 tunes to transition to your last song.

I don't really plan much about my endings. If I am playing to a mostly advanced crowd, I pick the tempo of last song based on how much energy I think the dancers still have in their legs. It could vary from above 200bpm to below 150bpm. I stick below 175bpm, if there is a relevant bulk of beginner/intermediate dancers.
Last edited by Gong-Oh on Mon May 02, 2011 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Juzz

#8 Post by Juzz » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:32 pm

I start thinking about it about 10-15 mins before my set ends (approx 3-4 songs to go). Much like DP, I like to finish my sets on a high with high energy, well known songs or different versions of well known songs. If they involve clapping, shouting or ukuleles even better! :wink:

I can think of 2 sets I've done recently where I was dissatisfied with the endings - it felt like I didnt provide resolution. However I wonder if its just me thats conscious of that and the dancers are really none the wiser.

It depends where I am in the wave too - if I've kicked their asses with lotsa stuff I might make my final track a winddown whereas if I've been coasting along I might rev things up towards the end of finish with a bang.
and so that people are left with good memories of my set
...and I might do a bit of that too :lol:

meadtastic

#9 Post by meadtastic » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:12 am

This is a great topic.

I guess I tend to lead up to the end differently depending on the mood of the night. Sometimes it's high-energy, sometimes it's not. It's good to let things develop organically.

For a very last song, I like to play something funny or out of the ordinary. Like a Tom Waits song or a goofy old school jazz number with kazoo. Or that odd version of Blue Drag by Django. This leaves room for an encore song that's a popular one with mid-level energy.

Second to last, I like to play something that feels satisfying.

As for 3-5, I don't know much. I'll see what I do next set I play, then get back.

trev

#10 Post by trev » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:11 pm

Eyeball wrote: The Girl From Ipanema - What? No like? Masterpiece with Stan Getz.
Never said I didn't like it, I think it's brilliant. I use as the perfect come-down song after a night of crazy swing dancing action. You play this at low volume and it's clear that it's time to go home, yet without the stark contrast of silence.

MikeGuzzo

#11 Post by MikeGuzzo » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:26 pm

A new favorite of mine is 'Undecided' by Ella Fitzgerald from the Live at the Savoy album, because at the end it's got a radio style announcement stating that that's it for the night. I don't use it always, but it's fun when I start using Tommy Dorsey's 'Dry Bones or Artie Shaw's 'Man from Mars' since they start with radio intros. It works for themes, but I do my best to not overplay the idea.