Contrast vs. Blending

Contrast
47%
Blending
53%

Total votes: 17

Mr Awesomer

#31 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:49 pm

falty411 wrote:Very true. I always play what I want to hear at that particular moment.
Exactly... which is why you are so respected as a DJ and others... aren't.

Now make love to me you sexy beast.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

falty411

#32 Post by falty411 » Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:52 pm

Lawrence wrote: Exactly... which is why you are so respected as a DJ and others... aren't.
i think you have some brown stuff on your nose you might want to get off....

i know tons of people who dont respect greg's djing. I know just as many who dont respect mine.

Greg will never be asked to DJ ULHS or the Lindy Binge

I will never be asked to DJ the Austin Exchange or ALHC
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Lawrence

#33 Post by Lawrence » Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:56 pm

GuruReuben wrote:
falty411 wrote:Very true. I always play what I want to hear at that particular moment.
Exactly... which is why you are so respected as a DJ and others... aren't.
As a former prosecutor, I LOVED it when the defense proved my ultimate case for me under the guise of being clever on a motion.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

djstarr

#34 Post by djstarr » Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:59 pm

Soupbone wrote:Another Atlanta DJ has implied that in his mind there are only two effective ways to deal with tempo: going from slow to fast or going from fast to slow over the course of rather lengthy sets.

I find this to be a crock. But, I'm curious if others out there feel the same way. If so, what's the logic?
my two cents on this thread:

I was given some advise to try not to play more than 3 songs at the same bpm (within 10 - 20 bpm or so). To me this makes sense, helps keep your set more varied.

I tend to work up to fast songs, and then if it's really fast (over 220) I'll play a slower popular song (since even though folks dance fast in Seattle there are still people sitting out when it gets real fast). To me this lets the people who like to dance fast warm up (since they don't seem to get tired), and people who can't dance too fast yet can take a break.

I also like the concept of mini-sets - but I do sets more on genre rather than tempo (i.e. a set of swing era, a set of jump blues, a set of soul-groove etc.).

and I've heard Reuben DJ Nora Jones 'Cold Cold Heart' (in the middle of a set at the Century, which I thought was pretty cool), and 'Cocaine' (at lindy binge late night).

and while I'm rambling, I think it's cool that most people on this board work hard not to stereotype themselves; at SLE this weekend, a DJ who is known for her "blues" sets played a very nice set of vintage music and succeeded in freaking some people out (and having the hard core blues folks setup an alternate room in the back to get their stank on ;-) ).

Nate Dogg

#35 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:21 pm

falty411 wrote: I will never be asked to DJ the Austin Exchange
Says who?

Last I heard there was not a "Banned from Austin" list floating around. Lawrence may disagree, but I feel that the primary mandate for DJs is to keep the audience happy. In my book, any DJ who is qualified and shares this philosophy is welcome, assuming we have room in the schedule. Slots are not guaranteed, but we are not looking for only so called "groove" DJs.

Historically, a certain type of sound has been popular at the Austin Exchange. However, if the demographics of the audience for a particular event inspired more diversity, it would most likely be encouraged.

In reality, the crowd this year will probably favor music similar to ALX 1-3, but we don't know that till the Exchange happens and the dancers start dancing. If the floor is packed and everybody is happy, all is well. If the room is half full because a DJ is only playing what he or she wants to hear or he or she is only focusing on a small minority, that would be a problem.

A lot of people who have never been to Austin sure have a lot of opinions about it. Those folks should come to ALX this year.

Nathan

Nate Dogg

#36 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:30 pm

djstarr wrote: I think it's cool that most people on this board work hard not to stereotype themselves; at SLE this weekend, a DJ who is known for her "blues" sets played a very nice set of vintage music and succeeded in freaking some people out (and having the hard core blues folks setup an alternate room in the back to get their stank on ;-) ).
Exactly, in the end of the day, we are playing records. I never understood the "I can only play one style" mentality that some people have.

We are not musicians who spent years studying a limited number of styles and instruments. We have the power to be much more flexible and operate under a different set of rules.

My style varies depending on the venue and the situation.

Mr Awesomer

#37 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:12 pm

Lawrence wrote:As a former prosecutor, I LOVED it when the defense proved my ultimate case for me under the guise of being clever on a motion.
I'm sorry; I was unaware that a prosecution was taking place. After all we were talking about "respect" and "Swing DJ" within the same parameters, so I figured it was all just a joke. Again, I'm sorry. ::snorts::
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Yakov

#38 Post by Yakov » Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:30 pm

while we're off-topic: by the way, i can't stand "theme" lindy exchange web sites. they're completely annoying.

ok, carry on.

sonofvu

#39 Post by sonofvu » Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:54 pm

Yakov wrote:while we're off-topic: by the way, i can't stand "theme" lindy exchange web sites. they're completely annoying.

ok, carry on.
BWAAAAAA!!!!

I'm a nice guy. Please sleep with me

Ron

#40 Post by Ron » Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:02 pm

When I'm djing Lindy by the Bay, I like the taste of a Mai Tai followed by a Pina Colada. Would that be contrasting or blending?

lindyholic

#41 Post by lindyholic » Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:39 am

One thing I did this weekend is I didn't give two shits about what I played...in that, I didn't try to build, I just kinda went all over the place. And I was told by a lot of people how they liked my set so much, just because the next song wasn't something they would expect. I'm gonna see how this works from now on. One of these people who told me this was someone who I would have never expected to hear this from. So in regards to contrast and all...I dunno, I guess surprise can in fact be your greatest ally instead of giving people what they would expect to hear next.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

(geek)

#42 Post by (geek) » Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:32 am

lindyholic wrote:One thing I did this weekend is I didn't give two shits about what I played...in that, I didn't try to build, I just kinda went all over the place. And I was told by a lot of people how they liked my set so much, just because the next song wasn't something they would expect. I'm gonna see how this works from now on.
I believe your set was at the outdoor, afternoon venue, no?

I think random wandering might work better there.. dancers aren't as focused on nor sensitive to the flow of the music.

I would have been less pleased with, say, a latenight DJ who used the same methodology.

There's something to be said for planned surprises, keeping the crowd guessing, and leading them to places they wouldn't otherwise feel comfortable. You don't get that with randomness.

Lawrence

#43 Post by Lawrence » Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:45 pm

falty411 wrote:
Lawrence wrote: Exactly... which is why you are so respected as a DJ and others... aren't.
i think you have some brown stuff on your nose you might want to get off....
I understand how a sycophant can confuse honest compliments for ass-kissing, but... ::sniff, sniff:: ... no matter. Greg's shit (Greg at his worst) is still better than the best from those... other DJs.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

falty411

#44 Post by falty411 » Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:35 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:
falty411 wrote: I will never be asked to DJ the Austin Exchange
Says who?
no one, but I know the events I get asked to DJ at.

Seattle Exchange, DCLX, ULHS, Herrang, HJDF, tributes to the Savoy, stuff like that.

I dont DJ as my thing, so I dont care about expanding my DJing selection so I can play more places. I am more than content DJing at the events I do spin at. I am first and foremost concerned about dancing to the music i love, playing it, myself, secondary.

I think people would be weirded out if they saw my name on the ALX or STLBX DJ roster. I know I would be.
Last edited by falty411 on Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

falty411

#45 Post by falty411 » Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:39 pm

Lawrence wrote:I understand how a sycophant can confuse honest compliments for ass-kissing,
Who am i trying to butter up? No one. It seems like you are the only one making random compliments to someone. I would like to see you call me anything to my face.

Lawrence wrote:but... ::sniff, sniff:: ... no matter. Greg's shit (Greg at his worst) is still better than the best from those... other DJs.
maybe I havent heard greg at his best, but a few of his sets have been amongst the worst I have ever heard.
Last edited by falty411 on Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
-mikey faltesek