Who are better: younger DJs or older DJs?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

What age group are you in?

Under 20
3%
20-24
25%
25-29
31%
30-39
31%
40-49
11%
50+
No votes

Total votes: 36

Toon Town Dave

#16 Post by Toon Town Dave » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:20 pm

Us crusty old farts are way better, we had to haul 45's on our backs through 10 feet of snow, up hill both ways. :roll:

For the most part, I can't really vote for age making a difference unless we're talking someone who was intimately involved with the dance and the music back in the day and continued with it ... however since Frankie is not a DJ ...

I think knowledge of the genre (both music and dance), experience DJing, and quality/quantity of music really matter. Especially the experience part.

djstarr

#17 Post by djstarr » Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:43 am

lindyholic wrote:I agree.

Harrison
this smells like a DJ battle to me. You and me head to head (and perhaps a couple more PAC NW DJ's who want to straddle the under 30/over 30 line)?

yedancer

#18 Post by yedancer » Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:16 am

Maybe a more appropriate question would be who is more likely to want to become a DJ. From the poll so far, it appears as though a larger percentage of us are under 30.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Lawrence

#19 Post by Lawrence » Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:14 am

yedancer wrote:Maybe a more appropriate question would be who is more likely to want to become a DJ. From the poll so far, it appears as though a larger percentage of us are under 30.
...or that a slightly larger percentage of those who answered the poll question are under 30, and the rest don't consider it relevant enough to answer.... :wink:
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

lindyholic

#20 Post by lindyholic » Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:12 pm

djstarr wrote:

Harrison
this smells like a DJ battle to me. You and me head to head (and perhaps a couple more PAC NW DJ's who want to straddle the under 30/over 30 line)?
Bring it, name the time and place, and I'll be there. It should be a OOJ night I think. Something like Boo and Brenda vs. Harrison and Leigh! :).

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

djstarr

#21 Post by djstarr » Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:16 am

lindyholic wrote:
djstarr wrote:

Harrison
Bring it, name the time and place, and I'll be there. It should be a OOJ night I think. Something like Boo and Brenda vs. Harrison and Leigh! :).

Harrison
not to narc anybody out here on the board, but Travis belongs on *my* side.......i'm not sure about Kevin T - he is straddling the line as is his partner in crime. - yeah, let's talk with the OOJ organizers - sounds like fun.

main_stem

#22 Post by main_stem » Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:44 am

djstarr wrote: not to narc anybody out here on the board, but Travis belongs on *my* side.......i'm not sure about Kevin T - he is straddling the line as is his partner in crime. - yeah, let's talk with the OOJ organizers - sounds like fun.
Yeah I'm riding the line at 29 but if any of you want to go to school then I'm willing to learn ya'. Just don't cry too hard at the end of the night (LOL)

Okay ego aside, a good DJ is a good DJ regadless of age. They play for the audience and keep them dancing. A good DJ also can push dancers out of their comfort zone and make them feel good about it. It's risky but damn rewarding.

Recently I have seen some djs that have been around the block a while completly atrophy. They completley loose the crowd and don't seem to get it.

Like wise I have seen some new DJ come in play just for their friends. Again they loose the majority of the crowd and seem to be clueless to the fact.

I relized I have just been rambling so I am going to end it here.

-K
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon