Weaning a scene away from Neo Swing

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Joninho22

Weaning a scene away from Neo Swing

#1 Post by Joninho22 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:49 am

I am in a dilemma. I have recently become the standard DJ/teacher for a university scene, which I thought would be great fun. The problem is that whoever was there before me loved (and I mean really just loved) Neo Swing and novelty songs. I'm slowly trying to pull people away from this depressing and frustrating trend, but when they request songs like "never had a friend like me" from Aladdin, I'm beginning to lose faith.

Most of them also like to dance east coast because they can do it faster... its a very twisted world. I've been playing alot of faster, easier songs to dance to, such as "three to get Ready" and "leap frog," and they seem to really enjoy those, but I tried some Cats and the Fiddle last week, and i was the only one dancing.

Any suggestions?

Haydn

#2 Post by Haydn » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:55 am

You could try some late 30s/40s popular swing/RnB hits like Louis Jordan's Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens, Keep a-knockin', Choo choo ch'boogie ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKxj3KbSiYk

or others in a similar vein.

Joninho22

#3 Post by Joninho22 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:34 am

for a while i have gone for novelty songs from big names, like ain't nobody here but us chickens. I also had a playlist of all food swing music, and that got to be kind of a trademark. (the new food song of the week)

I've thrown in some gene krupa, louis jordan (beans and cornbread, aka "that song from dinner and a movie") and a few swingin' remakes of not swing tunes (a pretty good version of stand by me)

But they just keep asking for zuit suit riot and go daddio... it kind of kills my soul most tuesday nights.

Haydn

#4 Post by Haydn » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:17 pm

Joninho22 wrote:they just keep asking for zuit suit riot and go daddio... it kind of kills my soul most tuesday nights.
Ultimately, if that's what they want, perhaps you either have to play it for them or find some new students who are more open to older swing.

But most people will enjoy dancing to classic 30s and 40s swing. I would just ease them in gently, rather than go straight to 'The Cats And The Fiddle'. You don't have to play 'novelty songs' as you call them, but just keep it simple, mid-tempo, say 140bpm - 170bpm. Try different songs and see what works :). And go to other dances where they play classic swing and see what works there.

lipi

#5 Post by lipi » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:34 pm

Joninho22 wrote: But they just keep asking for zuit suit riot and go daddio... it kind of kills my soul most tuesday nights.
"zoot suit riot" and "go daddy-o".

like haydn suggested, jump blues sounds like the way to go: louis prima, louis jordan, wynonie harris, calvin boze, indigo swing, ...

penguin

#6 Post by penguin » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:01 am

I agree with the others about Jump Blues - but you could also try throwing into the mix some Cab Calloway, some Allstars Louis Armstrong or maybe a bit of Jimmy Witherspoon.

If it's the phat sound of neo that they like try using some contemporary swingin' stuff like George Gee or Solomon Douglas (or maybe a little Barbara Morrison), or go for the Rat Pack revival stuff like Michael Buble.

But it sounds like what they like is the simple rhythm and the driving beat (as you say they're doing a lot of 6 beat) so jump blues is probably the best bet.

fredo

#7 Post by fredo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:21 am

I've found that the New Orleans Jazz Vipers have a few tracks that can get some of the crowd you seem to be describing. Try out their version of "Zonky" for a high energy faster tune. They'll never know it's a cover of an old 1920's tune. :)

tornredcarpet

#8 Post by tornredcarpet » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:53 am

vintage swing videos man....
Jesse (Los Angeles, CA/Hampton Roads, VA)

gilliam

#9 Post by gilliam » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:45 pm

We play for the dancers...and they are requesting what they know, so, I say just mix it up and have fun.