When a DJ kills the scene

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Lawrence

#31 Post by Lawrence » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:51 am

Roy wrote:I do not subscirbe to the theory that newbies will dance to anything. I have seen this to not be true.
True. They also tend to need a stronger, more prominent beat in order to really get in the flow.

However, first, what they find danceable somewhat depends on what the teachers play in classes. Years ago, the opposite was true from what you noted: anything outside of Neo or classic swing would confuse them, especially what you refer to as "R&B-type blues," which I assume means late Jimmy Witherspoon-type stuff.

Second, I'm constantly amazed how they will just wiggle giddily off-beat, happy to be holding hands with a girl/boy. Perhaps I should instead comment that DORKS will dance to anything, not necessarily newbies. 8)
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Drew

#32 Post by Drew » Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:39 pm

Lawrence wrote:
Roy wrote:I do not subscirbe to the theory that newbies will dance to anything. I have seen this to not be true.
True. They also tend to need a stronger, more prominent beat in order to really get in the flow.

However, first, what they find danceable somewhat depends on what the teachers play in classes. Years ago, the opposite was true from what you noted: anything outside of Neo or classic swing would confuse them, especially what you refer to as "R&B-type blues," which I assume means late Jimmy Witherspoon-type stuff.

Second, I'm constantly amazed how they will just wiggle giddily off-beat, happy to be holding hands with a girl/boy. Perhaps I should instead comment that DORKS will dance to anything, not necessarily newbies. 8)
Agree 100%. It's important to know what it is the instructors are playing for their students. I know some instructors that make students dance to the most awful stuff. I know some with great musical tastes.

Be these as they may, newbies will still not be as fickle as experienced dancers, by and large. In the beginning they like vocals with a not-subtle beat, and when they are sticking around long enough, they'll either want groove or old skool or whatever silly term they use for whatever genre.

I think that a good DJ can elevate the musical appreciation of the room and ultimately the community, if they aren't overly vigilant about it. Riley did this for a lot of North Siders in Chicago. Kevin and Ray did this at Java Jive. I do think that, if you play the right tunes, you can find things people of any persuasion and skill level can find things to like.

Roy

#33 Post by Roy » Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:54 pm

Lawrence wrote:However, first, what they find danceable somewhat depends on what the teachers play in classes. Years ago, the opposite was true from what you noted: anything outside of Neo or classic swing would confuse them, especially what you refer to as "R&B-type blues," which I assume means late Jimmy Witherspoon-type stuff.
Actually I would consider Jimmy Witherspoon blues, i was talking more about Buddy Johnson or Bill Doggett type stuff. Which some of that stuff would cross over into Jump Blues.

Matthew

#34 Post by Matthew » Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:53 pm

I've come up with a plan. I'm the president of my college swing club, and below is part of a message I sent to all of the members. We do have a group that's large enough to have an impact on whatever scene it dances in. We'll see how the plan goes. Please remember that I wouldn't be doing this if the DJ weren't so terrible.

"As some of you may know, I've been building my CD collection and filling it with music that I think we all would enjoy. I've got stacks and stacks of CDs next to me right now.

"I'm burning CDs full of songs that I think are fun and interesting, and I will be bringing these CDs to dances. I'll leave the CDs out on our table for you to browse (I'll include a sheet with a description of each song).

"Please check them out, and if you find a song you'd like to hear, bring the CD to the DJ and request the song! After you request a song, please remember to return the CD to the table so that I can bring that music to the next dance!

"If you don't see the CDs out on the table, then I'll probably have forgotten to put them out, so just ask me about them.

"I won't be giving away any CDs (highly illegal), but as long as they all are there, the "mini library" will be available!

"Also, don't feel reluctant to make a request! You're paying for the dance, so you should enjoy it!

"Questions, ideas, suggestions for songs to put in the mini library (I'll do my best) - let me know!"

dana

#35 Post by dana » Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:35 am

Matthew wrote:I've come up with a plan. I'm the president of my college swing club, and below is part of a message I sent to all of the members. We do have a group that's large enough to have an impact on whatever scene it dances in. We'll see how the plan goes. Please remember that I wouldn't be doing this if the DJ weren't so terrible.
This is what we did in Victoria to transform the neoswing venue (the only swing venue we had) into a slightly more lindy-friendly venue. We burnt cds of decent, popular lindy songs, and had all the dancers request songs. The DJ didn't care because the night was run by a commercial DJ company, so he was essentially a wedding DJ who got conned into spending every Friday night playing swing music, and we got lots of free publicity for our lindy lessons and club.

It probably would have been a big flop if the DJ had actually taken pride in knowing what swing music was about - I assume your DJ doesn't, since you say he/she is terrible!

d.

Nate Dogg

#36 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:40 am

Last edited by Nate Dogg on Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yedancer

#37 Post by yedancer » Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:16 am

Matthew wrote:I've come up with a plan. I'm the president of my college swing club, and below is part of a message I sent to all of the members. We do have a group that's large enough to have an impact on whatever scene it dances in. We'll see how the plan goes. Please remember that I wouldn't be doing this if the DJ weren't so terrible.

"As some of you may know, I've been building my CD collection and filling it with music that I think we all would enjoy. I've got stacks and stacks of CDs next to me right now.

"I'm burning CDs full of songs that I think are fun and interesting, and I will be bringing these CDs to dances. I'll leave the CDs out on our table for you to browse (I'll include a sheet with a description of each song).

"Please check them out, and if you find a song you'd like to hear, bring the CD to the DJ and request the song! After you request a song, please remember to return the CD to the table so that I can bring that music to the next dance!

"If you don't see the CDs out on the table, then I'll probably have forgotten to put them out, so just ask me about them.

"I won't be giving away any CDs (highly illegal), but as long as they all are there, the "mini library" will be available!

"Also, don't feel reluctant to make a request! You're paying for the dance, so you should enjoy it!

"Questions, ideas, suggestions for songs to put in the mini library (I'll do my best) - let me know!"
If the DJ doesn't mind, why don't you put a little CD walkman or a small CD player with headphones by the CDs, so that people who aren't very familiar with the names of songs can preview the CDs and pick something they like? After all, it's my experience than the average dancer doesn't have much clue about music, unless they're a DJ on the side.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Lawrence

#38 Post by Lawrence » Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:48 am

yedancer wrote:If the DJ doesn't mind, why don't you put a little CD walkman or a small CD player with headphones by the CDs, so that people who aren't very familiar with the names of songs can preview the CDs and pick something they like? After all, it's my experience than the average dancer doesn't have much clue about music, unless they're a DJ on the side.
I agree with Jeremy that a big problem is that you are asking a group of people who are passively interested in paying attention to the names and titles of songs to select the music. You will get a "greatest hits" night that favors the tastes of people who have less compunction about offending the DJ than the silent majority will have.

A bigger problem is political: that inspiring insurrection like that will most likely kick him into defensive mode, which could create more serious inter-personal problems for your scene than the music. I sense that these tensions are already building and will only explode if you tacitly enlist others to help you insult him.

Alternatives:

1) POLITELY talk to this allegedly-awful DJ in a polite manner about the problem.
2) Share your insights on music with him to try to inspire him to get better. ("Hey, have you heard this CD?!?!")
3) Discuss an alternative DJ with the venue owner for every other week;
4) Set up your own night/venue if you feel confident that enough people share your opinion that this DJ stinks, clarifying that it is to serve an unrepresented portion of the scene, not to steal the same portion. If your tastes in music are so different, then he might actually appreciate your siphoning off the dancers who want your style of music. (I know that I wouldn't want someone like Reuben stalking around my dances bitching and moaning about the music simply because his taste is different (and more limited) than mine).
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

falty411

#39 Post by falty411 » Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:55 am

Lawrence wrote:his taste is different (and more limited) than mine).
if by limited you mean refined then yes
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Matthew

#40 Post by Matthew » Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:40 am

I think something's going to have to change quickly. The other night, a little after 10:30 (when the party should be kicking into high gear), he played a song and had a grand total of two couples dancing. It was already a slow night, but that was just pathetic. My friends had already left, and I followed a little later.

I like the idea of a portable CD player for people to preview songs. I'm sure nobody would mind. This is a pretty relaxed scene. I'll have to look into it. At this point, though, I think we really need a new DJ. I'm going to look into that, too.

CCKitty

Guest DJ

#41 Post by CCKitty » Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:35 pm

How about having a few other DJ's offering to 'share the work load' and having each of them do a half hour set?