The best. request. ever.

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

mousethief

#91 Post by mousethief » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:05 am

Man, I would kick that guy's ass. When I go to a dance, I don't reach across the table to make my own change from the till, so why should feel entitled to rummage through a DJs collection?

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

ScottieK

#92 Post by ScottieK » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:11 am

mousethief wrote:Man, I would kick that guy's ass. When I go to a dance, I don't reach across the table to make my own change from the till, so why should feel entitled to rummage through a DJs collection?
Yeah a butt whoopin' is definately the way I would have gone.

julius

#93 Post by julius » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:27 pm

I started to walk off carrying one of Rayned's books (like 1 billion CDs) and he just laughed because he knew I was kidding.

I only palmed five or six. he'll never notice.

gatorgal

#94 Post by gatorgal » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:56 pm

julius wrote:I started to walk off carrying one of Rayned's books (like 1 billion CDs) and he just laughed because he knew I was kidding.

I only palmed five or six. he'll never notice.
Is that all? Amateur.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

julius

#95 Post by julius » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:40 pm

well i don't have as much cleavage to hide crap in.

mark0tz

#96 Post by mark0tz » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:56 am

ha, after k2 one night, i walked off with greg avakian's book and he left with mine. I didn't notice nor answer my phone for much of the next day and I think he was getting a bit anxious as he was going back to Philly later that day. Anyways since then I've just been putting stickers on my shtuff.
Mike Marcotte

mousethief

#97 Post by mousethief » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:09 am

julius wrote:well i don't have as much cleavage to hide crap in.
I use Jen's.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

gatorgal

#98 Post by gatorgal » Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:26 pm

mark0tz wrote:ha, after k2 one night, i walked off with greg avakian's book and he left with mine. I didn't notice nor answer my phone for much of the next day and I think he was getting a bit anxious as he was going back to Philly later that day. Anyways since then I've just been putting stickers on my shtuff.
Serg and I accidentally took each other's books once, right before I had one of my first paying gigs for the West Coast crowd. It was on a Tuesday, and I didn't realize the mistake until Tuesday afternoon. Luckily one of my friends and fellow dancers was able to get the book to me.

But I was real anxious for several hours. :)

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

scowl

#99 Post by scowl » Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:02 pm

I'm surprised none of my local DJ's have mentioned any of the corkers I've requested over the years. I think the best one was:

:D Me. I heard a great and I mean great Sidney Bechet song over the weekend! Do you think you might have it?
:) DJ: Maybe. What's the title?
:) Me: Well, I don't remember exactly, but at the end of the song, the singer starts yodeling.
:? DJ: Yodeling?
:o Me: He sorta goes.. "Yodeleeeee ho! Yodeleeeeee ho!" And it's just great! Do you think you have that song?
:shock: DJ: Uh, I don't think so Scott.
:cry: Me: Well do you have any songs with yodelling in them?
:evil: DJ: No!
:oops: Me: Well OK uh I'll uh let you know if I remember the name of that Sidney Bechet song.

nightowl

#100 Post by nightowl » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:49 am

I bet it was Shag by Tommy Ladnier and Sidney Bechet.... While I might call it scatting, I wouldn't go so far as to say yodelling though. He may have heard it at the Denver Exchange where I played it in the fast room.

I think it was mathew who recommended the song to me... I ordered the CD, waited for like 6 weeks for it, and turns out I already had the song on a Bechet compilation. Don't you hate it when that happens?

main_stem

#101 Post by main_stem » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:27 am

LAst night I was asked to play something from the Basie Does Bond CD. Now all I need is a request for something from Basie's Beatles Bag and I will have requests for the two worse Basie albums.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Jerry_Jelinek

#102 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:49 am

main_stem wrote:LAst night I was asked to play something from the Basie Does Bond CD. Now all I need is a request for something from Basie's Beatles Bag and I will have requests for the two worse Basie albums.
I'm glad you brought this up. Again this is obviously personal taste.

I recently got a copy of Basie's Beatles Bag. I really enjoyed it. There is even a Freddy Green guitar solo on it. Albeit a short solo.

What is so wrong with the LP? There is a lot of great hard swinging arranging by Chico O'Farrell on that. Chico was one of Basie's favorites in the mid to late 60s. I think Chico arranged one of the Mills Bros with Basie LPs.

Anyway, after reading such negative comments of the Basie things on this list, I was really expecting a dog of a LP. It is very good. I'm going to use 1 or 2 tracks in my upcoming Basie Centennial B'Day show.

For my taste, I just heard the Sinatra at the Sands with Basie. That to me is much worse than the Beattles Bag recording. Sinatra would have been better served to keep his mouth shut and let the Basie band blow. :)

mousethief

#103 Post by mousethief » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:24 am

The Bond and Beatles CDs blow so hard that I could sail around the world with them as a power source. Again, this is because I'm a dancer first and a DJ second and everything gets filtered that way when I discuss swing music.

I would offer to sell my Bond and Beatles CDs but I used them to take down squirrels outside my apartment.

Kalman

Kyle

#104 Post by Kyle » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:32 pm

Jerry_Jelinek wrote:For my taste, I just heard the Sinatra at the Sands with Basie. That to me is much worse than the Beattles Bag recording. Sinatra would have been better served to keep his mouth shut and let the Basie band blow. :)
Then just go buy Basie Live at the Sands......before Frank. It's the Basie orchestra before Frank went on stage. Good stuff. Once you get that CD, you can stop bad mouthing Frank. :)

Ryan

#105 Post by Ryan » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:56 pm

I actually got a request for "Wade in the Water" AND "Fever" at the same time the other night.