The best. request. ever.

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Lawrence

#31 Post by Lawrence » Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:12 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:
sonofvu wrote:Guy: Do you have September by Earth Wind and Fire?
Me: No
Yes, you are referring to Ed. He bothers every Austin DJ, same exact request, every week, like clock work. Ask Colin, Scott, Matt Jones, it is like a broken record.

He comes up at the end of the dance, asks me to play September, which I usually don't have on me. Then he wants to know if I have any latin and salsa. I always tell him that I don't have any. He then starts saying that it would be really cool if the last 10-15 minutes of the Syndicate dances.
:shock: He asked me the exact same progression of questions a couple of weeks ago!!! :lol: He's gotta be joking... requesting the SAME song every week for months at a time?!?! And not getting the hint....
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Nate Dogg

#32 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:55 pm

Lawrence wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:
sonofvu wrote:Guy: Do you have September by Earth Wind and Fire?
Me: No
Yes, you are referring to Ed. He bothers every Austin DJ, same exact request, every week, like clock work. Ask Colin, Scott, Matt Jones, it is like a broken record.

He comes up at the end of the dance, asks me to play September, which I usually don't have on me. Then he wants to know if I have any latin and salsa. I always tell him that I don't have any. He then starts saying that it would be really cool if the last 10-15 minutes of the Syndicate dances.
:shock: He asked me the exact same progression of questions a couple of weeks ago!!! :lol: He's gotta be joking... requesting the SAME song every week for months at a time?!?! And not getting the hint....
No he is not joking.

Even worse, when he goes to the West Coast/Whip dances, he does it there too.

There are a lot more opportunities to salsa in Austin than swing dance, so that makes it even more annoying.

I mean, he can drive over to Miguels at midnight if salsa is what he is in the mood for.

Ed is one thing that unifies all the Austin DJs, he can see through our music preferences and annoy us all.

Nathan

djstarr

#33 Post by djstarr » Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:20 am

I prefer "Africano" myself ;-)

Nate Dogg

#34 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:33 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:
Lawrence wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote: Yes, you are referring to Ed. He bothers every Austin DJ, same exact request, every week, like clock work. Ask Colin, Scott, Matt Jones, it is like a broken record.

No he is not joking.

Even worse, when he goes to the West Coast/Whip dances, he does it there too.

There are a lot more opportunities to salsa in Austin than swing dance, so that makes it even more annoying.

I mean, he can drive over to Miguels at midnight if salsa is what he is in the mood for.

Ed is one thing that unifies all the Austin DJs, he can see through our music preferences and annoy us all.

Nathan
Like clockwork, Matt Jones and Ed had the conversation at 11:30 last night. Ed made the same request he makes every week (see George's conversation). Matt Jones did play Earth, Wind, and Fire. Like everybody else, Matt told Ed that there will be no salsa.

djstarr

#35 Post by djstarr » Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:06 pm

somehow I find this really really funny.....you should just vary the EWF song and surprise him at the end of each night....

Lawrence

#36 Post by Lawrence » Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:14 am

djstarr wrote:somehow I find this really really funny.....you should just vary the EWF song and surprise him at the end of each night....
Exactly what I did, but funkier and less "discoey". He was lost. I'm also looking for the "Vitamin C" version of "September" that was in that Kirsten Dunst teen movie... not Bring it on or Crazy Beautiful, but the other one....
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

Nate Dogg

#37 Post by Nate Dogg » Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:45 am

djstarr wrote:somehow I find this really really funny.....you should just vary the EWF song and surprise him at the end of each night....
This guy is very specific, he wants to hear the EWF version of September song, nothing else will satisfy him. He is more vague about the salsa. He always gets turned down on that front anyway.

djstarr

#38 Post by djstarr » Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:31 pm

hmmmmm. maybe he had a signifcant moment in his life with the song......

Lawrence

#39 Post by Lawrence » Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:05 pm

djstarr wrote:hmmmmm. maybe he had a signifcant moment in his life with the song......
No, he's just a loser.... :)
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

KevinSchaper

#40 Post by KevinSchaper » Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:45 pm

you should burn a bunch of cds with just ewf's september, and print some maps with directions to a salsa dance, and have every DJ armed to hand that to him when he comes up to the booth.. before he even asks.

sonofvu

#41 Post by sonofvu » Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:38 am

KevinSchaper wrote:you should burn a bunch of cds with just ewf's september, and print some maps with directions to a salsa dance, and have every DJ armed to hand that to him when he comes up to the booth.. before he even asks.
Pre-emptive strike. I like it.

Roy

#42 Post by Roy » Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:59 pm

In Chicago there are allot of requests for slow blues.

I always find it funny when I'm playing a Blues song (not slow blues) and someone comes up and requests a blues song. I usually answer "you mean a blues song other then the song that is now playing?" I know what they really mean is a slow dirtly blues but I can't help myself if they don't ask for what they mean.

Lawrence

#43 Post by Lawrence » Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:35 pm

Roy wrote:In Chicago there are allot of requests for slow blues.

I always find it funny when I'm playing a Blues song (not slow blues) and someone comes up and requests a blues song. I usually answer "you mean a blues song other then the song that is now playing?" I know what they really mean is a slow dirtly blues but I can't help myself if they don't ask for what they mean.
This thread seems to be evolving into "annoyingly generic request patterns" because I have had the same experience, both in Chicago, Austin and elsewhere. :)
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

smunky

requests

#44 Post by smunky » Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:31 am

i had a request for uncle cracker last year...and the requester was apalled that i didn't even know who uncle cracker was. it made me sad.

Lawrence

Re: requests

#45 Post by Lawrence » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:44 pm

smunky wrote:i had a request for uncle cracker last year...and the requester was apalled that i didn't even know who uncle cracker was. it made me sad.
{ahem} :? um.... seriously... Who IS Uncle Cracker?
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop