The best. request. ever.

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Nate Dogg

#121 Post by Nate Dogg » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:30 am

For all the Fever lovers. A new version of Fever is coming out in a few weeks.

Off Ray Charles's duet album. He performs with Natalie Cole.

From track listing to "Genuis Loves Company" due out August 30th, from Concord Jazz

1. Here We Go Again - (featuring Norah Jones)
2. Sweet Potato Pie - (featuring James Taylor)
3. You Don't Know Me - (featuring Diana Krall)
4. Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word - (featuring Elton John)
5. Fever - (featuring Natalie Cole)
6. Do I Ever Cross Your Mind - (featuring Bonnie Raitt)
7. It Was A Very Good Year - (featuring Willie Nelson)
8. Hey Girl - (featuring Michael McDonald)
9. Sinner's Prayer - (featuring B.B. King)
10. Heaven Help Us All - (featuring Gladys Knight)
11. Somewhere Over The Rainbow - (featuring Johnny Mathis)
12. Crazy Love - (featuring Van Morrison)

hypr_chik

#122 Post by hypr_chik » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:11 am

Ooh I love Sinners Prayer... only have two versions, Eric Clapton & Ray Charles, I wonder if it will be any different than the one I already have. *shrugs*

Back to the request stuff. It was at a wedding and not a swing dance but the stuff that was being spun for hours before was; instrumental jazz through dinner, groovy jazz, oldies R&R, Mowtown, R&B, Funk, Soul with a few country songs and the obligatory Chicken Dance... then this fiarly aggressive "older lady" asks me if I can "play something good" and she lists off things like: Whitesnake, Def Leoppard... and the last one was Zepplin. I actually did wish I had "Stairway To Heaven" there but the list of other groups... at a wedding? WTF!?!??!

Nate Dogg

#123 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:40 am

hypr_chik wrote:Ooh I love Sinners Prayer... only have two versions, Eric Clapton & Ray Charles, I wonder if it will be any different than the one I already have. *shrugs*

Back to the request stuff. It was at a wedding and not a swing dance but the stuff that was being spun for hours before was; instrumental jazz through dinner, groovy jazz, oldies R&R, Mowtown, R&B, Funk, Soul with a few country songs and the obligatory Chicken Dance... then this fiarly aggressive "older lady" asks me if I can "play something good" and she lists off things like: Whitesnake, Def Leoppard... and the last one was Zepplin. I actually did wish I had "Stairway To Heaven" there but the list of other groups... at a wedding? WTF!?!??!
Another local DJ and I DJed a swing dancer wedding about a month ago. We got a ton of requests. So many that we had an easy excuse for not playing them all. We did play some of the disco oriented ones. The bride's sorority sister friends were going to town on that stuff.

The weirdest request was this kid who wanted Linkin Park, I told his mom that we only had a few songs left and could not get to it (she came to the stand with him). Funny how people just assume that the DJ is some sort of jukebox.

djstarr

#124 Post by djstarr » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:25 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:For all the Fever lovers. A new version of Fever is coming out in a few weeks.

Off Ray Charles's duet album. He performs with Natalie Cole.

From track listing to "Genuis Loves Company" due out August 30th, from Concord Jazz

1. Here We Go Again - (featuring Norah Jones)
2. Sweet Potato Pie - (featuring James Taylor)
3. You Don't Know Me - (featuring Diana Krall)
4. Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word - (featuring Elton John)
5. Fever - (featuring Natalie Cole)
6. Do I Ever Cross Your Mind - (featuring Bonnie Raitt)
7. It Was A Very Good Year - (featuring Willie Nelson)
8. Hey Girl - (featuring Michael McDonald)
9. Sinner's Prayer - (featuring B.B. King)
10. Heaven Help Us All - (featuring Gladys Knight)
11. Somewhere Over The Rainbow - (featuring Johnny Mathis)
12. Crazy Love - (featuring Van Morrison)
Picked this up at the local Starbucks last week. Excellent version of Fever, I've dj'ed it a couple of times and people like dancing to it. Unfortunately, I'm a little disappointed with the rest of the album - Ray definitely sounds like he is sick; his duet with Willie Nelson made me cry - it's done very sadly, and some of the arrangements on the other songs are just odd.

djstarr

#125 Post by djstarr » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:38 pm

A little story from the Century Ballroom last night.

A young man (19? 18?) who often comes up to request "Sing, Sing, Sing" came up at the end of the night and requested "Jump Jive and Wail". So I obliged, then decided to give him another shot of Neo with "Indigo Swing" from the All-Aboard CD.

He runs ups to the DJ booth after the song is over:
"What's the name of that band"?
"Indigo Swing"
"Who?"
"Indigo Swing"
"Wow that's awesome thanks!"

It's time for Indigo Swing to put on their reunion tour obviously, and I really got a kick out of this since the track has their band name in it about 20 times... "If you feel like dancing...."

Nate Dogg

#126 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:52 pm

djstarr wrote:A little story from the Century Ballroom last night.

A young man (19? 18?) who often comes up to request "Sing, Sing, Sing" came up at the end of the night and requested "Jump Jive and Wail". So I obliged, then decided to give him another shot of Neo with "Indigo Swing" from the All-Aboard CD.

He runs ups to the DJ booth after the song is over:
"What's the name of that band"?
"Indigo Swing"
"Who?"
"Indigo Swing"
"Wow that's awesome thanks!"

It's time for Indigo Swing to put on their reunion tour obviously, and I really got a kick out of this since the track has their band name in it about 20 times... "If you feel like dancing...."
Tonight at our big Thursday dance. We had a technical issue switching DJs (CD DJ to laptop DJ), after a minute or so of listening to the dancers clap and make a scene, etc... I grabbed the first CD I could find and threw it in, it was the Indigo Swing song for All Aboard.

I was not DJing, but I was the only up there not consumed with the laptop, wires, etc...

Anyway, we laughed that nobody has played that song at an Austin dance in five years or so.

GemZombie

#127 Post by GemZombie » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:01 am

i like to pull an old stale song from the neo era out once a month or so and watch the reaction.

lindyholic

#128 Post by lindyholic » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:31 am

Or try having a scene that is largely of East Coasters. They are all wanting the crappy guitar driven neo-swing. I got like 20 requests for neo-swing on Tuesday night! They said that they wanted "Big Band music and something fast" (this is after I played Traffic Jam), and I would have to say I was playing pretty fast stuff, apparently 240 BPM is not a fast enough average for the night....

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

GemZombie

#129 Post by GemZombie » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:58 am

lindyholic wrote:Or try having a scene that is largely of East Coasters. They are all wanting the crappy guitar driven neo-swing. I got like 20 requests for neo-swing on Tuesday night! They said that they wanted "Big Band music and something fast" (this is after I played Traffic Jam), and I would have to say I was playing pretty fast stuff, apparently 240 BPM is not a fast enough average for the night....

Harrison
I took over DJing at a time when our scene was a lot like that (this was about 4 years ago). It took about a year of slowly changing the music, now they mostly prefer more classic stuff.

It can be done.

lindyholic

#130 Post by lindyholic » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:29 am

GemZombie wrote:
lindyholic wrote:Or try having a scene that is largely of East Coasters. They are all wanting the crappy guitar driven neo-swing. I got like 20 requests for neo-swing on Tuesday night! They said that they wanted "Big Band music and something fast" (this is after I played Traffic Jam), and I would have to say I was playing pretty fast stuff, apparently 240 BPM is not a fast enough average for the night....

Harrison
I took over DJing at a time when our scene was a lot like that (this was about 4 years ago). It took about a year of slowly changing the music, now they mostly prefer more classic stuff.

It can be done.
Yeah, I know, once they start learning lindy hop they'll WANT to dance slower hehe.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

GemZombie

#131 Post by GemZombie » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:57 am

Not what I meant at all.

Actually I'm quite amazed that when I go to LA now, the music is decidedly slower than what I play. I don't get many complaints about what I play either.

When some of our follows started making regular treks to LA, they came back and mentioned how they thought the tempos could use some upping down SoCal way :)

I'm so proud of them... hehe

sonofvu

#132 Post by sonofvu » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:02 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:
Tonight at our big Thursday dance. We had a technical issue switching DJs (CD DJ to laptop DJ), after a minute or so of listening to the dancers clap and make a scene, etc... I grabbed the first CD I could find and threw it in, it was the Indigo Swing song for All Aboard.
Nathan, you have like 200 cds with you at all times and that was the only thing you could find?
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

Nate Dogg

#133 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:14 pm

sonofvu wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:
Nathan, you have like 200 cds with you at all times and that was the only thing you could find?
My CDs were not around, Colin's CDs were the only I could find. I opened his book and saw Indigo Swing, I did not even think about what the first track since you can dance to almost everything on it.

Turns out, I should have scanned the track list for 5 seconds.

But, you were there, the wolves were howling.

Andy Reid

#134 Post by Andy Reid » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:39 am

I thought I'd share this with you all.

Last night, at DC9, our monthly Sunday venue that's at a little club in DC, our DJ Jerry Almonte got a pretty awesome request. This girl comes up to Jerry and asks if he'll do a request. Jerry nods. Both of us automatically assume she's going to ask for something questionable, because we are jaded old bastards and she was a little drunk. A pleasant surprise: she asks for Ella Fitzgerald. She wanted her doing a Cole Porter song that she couldn't remember the name of. Jerry talked with her for a minute trying to figure out what she wanted. He told her he'd play something that he thinks she'll like and she wanders off.

A few minutes later, he plays a later-era Ella tune that was "pretty". I can't remember the tune. It was a nice tune, but admittedly it was a little "sing-songy" - seemed perfect for her Cole Porter request. The girl comes back and says something to the effect of "This is nice, but it's something my dad would listen to. Could you play something with some punch? Something that makes you want to jump around?" So, the next song, Jerry queues Ella playing "I'm Just a Jitterbug" with Chick's band, of course. She girl looks incredibly overjoyed when she hears it. She thanks him and walks away.

We were both pretty impressed.

Jerry continued with a set of Ella songs.

main_stem

#135 Post by main_stem » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:25 am

I got a request a couple of months ago for Artie Shaw's The Glider: what made this stand out to me is that the girl asking for it couldn't have been more than a sophmore in highschool. I was dumbfounded that she even knew who Shaw was, let alone that song.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon