The best. request. ever.

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

gatorgal

#76 Post by gatorgal » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:16 pm

Wow, Serg... if the gentlemen in question is who I think it is, well, he's just gained couple of points in my book. It may not have ended the way he wanted, but it was gutsy of him to ask.

Tina 8)

Larry

#77 Post by Larry » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:42 am

You know sometimes the requests are funny and good too.

I have stories in NY (and was hoping to hear some more) since we cater to a large club, newbie and tourist crowd. The good thing is that the DJ booths here are much more secluded and private - so that seriously cuts down the contact with an uneducated public.

Anyway, one time late night at the Supper Club, I noticed One Skirt Wonder was cautiously coming up... I figured either a request of some sort was coming. She asked for Laverne Butler's "This Bitter Earth". Luckily, I had that CD right on top of my console along with a few others I was possibly going to play. So, I immediately flashed her a smile and the CD, and said "Sure! It's already in the works. You'll hear it in about 2 songs... find a good lead.". Yes, I was almost psychic in her mind.

I think I even danced with her by the booth too. Anyway, moments like these make individuals really happy and I'm glad I got the opportunity.

One day I hope to actually have the actual CD queued up when someone requests something.

Larry

Serendipity Swing

#78 Post by Larry » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:55 am

This is not actually a music request... but IMO this request story is the king.

Last night in the Springs, Jesse was DJing. Crazy snowstorm, turned my 60 minute drive into 3.5 hrs of annoyance eased only by the stack of mix CDs. I was looking for a nice magical night.

And so was Ronnie (LilLindyHopper). She had just had some serious surgery about two weeks ago and sadly was expecting to just listen and socialize for Jesse's visit.

I think they had told her to give it like 6 weeks - but remarkedbly she was able to do so and was havin a great night. She was in fine form and was having a blast. (Someone to definitely meet if you ever have the chance).

Anyway, she sits down next to me and we chat about the night... how great it was, the dances and the music. And her only caveat was that she really wanted to dance with Jesse tonight.

As these words are just out of her mouth, Jesse is walking over (about 20 ft) and extends his hand and with a tilt of the head and smile, ASKS HER TO DANCE.

So either Jesse is psychic or he has super-human hearing. I told John Dyer next to me and confirmed later that there was no pre-planning reservations or anything like that. Serendipity.

kbuxton

#79 Post by kbuxton » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:54 pm

Larry wrote:One day I hope to actually have the actual CD queued up when someone requests something.
I actually managed that once. :)

mousethief

#80 Post by mousethief » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:00 pm

While I was chilling during a lesson Saturday, Jerry asked me for "Moten Swing" by Oscar Peterson. Happened to be the same song I was listening to.

BONG.

Kalman

Lawrence

#81 Post by Lawrence » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:35 pm

kbuxton wrote:
Larry wrote:One day I hope to actually have the actual CD queued up when someone requests something.
I actually managed that once. :)
I vaguely recall a request for something from a particular musician happening to me once just seconds before the previous song ended. I had that musician cued up.

[Big smile] "You mean something like this...?" [press play]
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Shanabanana

#82 Post by Shanabanana » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:09 pm

Lawrence wrote:I vaguely recall a request for something from a particular musician happening to me once just seconds before the previous song ended. I had that musician cued up.

[Big smile] "You mean something like this...?" [press play]
That is beautiful.

When they request an artist when he/she is *currently* playing, that is just annoying.

mark0tz

#83 Post by mark0tz » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:46 am

OK, this isn't the best request ever, but tonight I was playing a big mix for this college's ballroom lindy hop dance since it attracted all types.

This guy walks up about 30mins into my set, verifies my name, and asks if I could play some really good swing music. He asked if I Had any Jive Aces. I said, "No, I don't actually, sorry." Then he asks, "Hmm, What about Runaround Sue? or Casey McGill? or Santana?!? or the stuff that Tom plays?!?"

I respond, "hmm, I might have some casey mcgill.. Lemme check ok?"

He walks away.. hopeful.

Two songs later, he comes back. "It's about time you start mixing new swing in." The dance floor is packed right now, mind you, and he's bossing me around. A Charlie Shavers version of Rose Room (from the disc w/ Maxine Sullivan) was playing currently.

"New swing? What do you mean? Like..."

"Like stuff recorded after 1940, 1950."

"Hmm, that last song was recorded in 1990." (Don't Get Around Much Anymore - Gene Harris). Up to this point, I had played one or two, some Shaw and some Ellington from pre-1950.

"Niiiiiiice... That's awesome!" I actually thought he was genuinely satisfied. "But it sounded retro."

I was done trying to reason. "I'll fit something in..." I said. And I did, I played Regular Joe by someone with Bill Elliott sitting on piano I think. A live performance off of some mix I got.

The night went great overall. But like 20mins later the same guy comes back and starts examining my Django Proper box set. opening it up... then leaves it all outa place on the piano where I had my CD's. For a second I thought he was one of the guys helping to put it on, but they quickly told me he wasn't... just some guy. Ha oh well had to get that out.
Mike Marcotte

mark0tz

#84 Post by mark0tz » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:57 am

oh yea, and then someone requested a polka at 11:50. they were being 112% serious.
Mike Marcotte

GemZombie

#85 Post by GemZombie » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:45 am

I end all my nights with "After the dance" by Dion. It's a really hokey and cheesy song that I get a kick out of. It ends the night on a bizarre and funny note.

Unfortunatley my wife started doing the polka to the song one night, and now *that* has become a tradition. So much so that I even get requests (usually from my wife as well) for a different polka song to end the evening.

There's worse ways to end the evening I suppose... plus it's generally the only non swing-dance tune I play all night. :)

mark0tz

#86 Post by mark0tz » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:48 am

Yea, haha, Dorry mentioned that some DJ used to play "Viva Los Vegas!" in Boston to close out their sets, and he remarked at how it's so perfect for polka.
Mike Marcotte

wheresmygravy

#87 Post by wheresmygravy » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:18 pm

When I was in college in 1978, the C&W dance hall used to shutdown with "Goodnight Irene". I have always thought about getting that song. I just went on AMG and there are over 400 versions of that song. Damn! I wonder if there is a jazzy one, hmmmmmmm.

julius

#88 Post by julius » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:45 pm

depending on what you mean by 'jazzy' nat king cole or doctor john or jo stafford or frank sinatra's versions might do.

as i recall though the song itself is kind of square ... might be hard finding a version that isn't sweet (as opposed to hot).

12bars

#89 Post by 12bars » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:06 pm

djstarr wrote:
julius wrote:I think categorization would be a good idea, and funny too.
I might do ok if there was a "vocals only" category ;-) I really suck at recognizing songs, especially instrumentals, unless I know them really really well. I'm starting to get better though by practicing when other folks DJ - I can usually get the artist and album, but the title often escapes me.
dont stress it. its an abstract thinker trait.

Yakov

#90 Post by Yakov » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:25 pm

mark0tz wrote:OK, this isn't the best request ever, but tonight I was playing a big mix for this college's ballroom lindy hop dance since it attracted all types.

This guy walks up about 30mins into my set, verifies my name, and asks if I could play some really good swing music. He asked if I Had any Jive Aces. I said, "No, I don't actually, sorry." Then he asks, "Hmm, What about Runaround Sue? or Casey McGill? or Santana?!? or the stuff that Tom plays?!?"

I respond, "hmm, I might have some casey mcgill.. Lemme check ok?"

He walks away.. hopeful.

Two songs later, he comes back. "It's about time you start mixing new swing in." The dance floor is packed right now, mind you, and he's bossing me around. A Charlie Shavers version of Rose Room (from the disc w/ Maxine Sullivan) was playing currently.

"New swing? What do you mean? Like..."

"Like stuff recorded after 1940, 1950."

"Hmm, that last song was recorded in 1990." (Don't Get Around Much Anymore - Gene Harris). Up to this point, I had played one or two, some Shaw and some Ellington from pre-1950.

"Niiiiiiice... That's awesome!" I actually thought he was genuinely satisfied. "But it sounded retro."

I was done trying to reason. "I'll fit something in..." I said. And I did, I played Regular Joe by someone with Bill Elliott sitting on piano I think. A live performance off of some mix I got.

The night went great overall. But like 20mins later the same guy comes back and starts examining my Django Proper box set. opening it up... then leaves it all outa place on the piano where I had my CD's. For a second I thought he was one of the guys helping to put it on, but they quickly told me he wasn't... just some guy. Ha oh well had to get that out.
that is when you break out your DJ KUNG FU