Scene getting busier? A reaction to the recession?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Haydn

Scene getting busier? A reaction to the recession?

#1 Post by Haydn » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:19 am

Here in London, the Lindy scene is busier than it has been for a few years. New classes, lots of new social dancing, a lot of places are busy. For a while there's been a choice of things to do on some weeknights, now there's often a choice at weekends too. One idea is the recent growth is a reaction to the recession.

Is your scene getting busier - and is it a reaction against the recession?

CountBasi

#2 Post by CountBasi » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:44 am

It should be, shouldn't it?

I semi-frequently read this is the music that took peoples' minds off the worries and strife off the Great Depression, and seeing as we're in the midst of a Mediocre Depression, I'd want to see people flocking to shuffle to Happy Feet or When Buddha Smiles en mass, but it's not the case here in Portland.

One of the two main weekly dances is the subject of discussion soon with the possibility of it being cut. I'm only speaking for my area, though. I went up to Seattle on Wednesday and unsurprisingly, that joint is jumpin.
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

fredo

#3 Post by fredo » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:34 pm

I don't think the theory works that because swing dancing was a cheap form of entertainment in the 30s, that drew more attention during hard times, that we can then see the same boost in interest now during our "great recession".

For one, there were less forms of cheap entertainment in the 30s than there are now. Back then I'm guessing people went out to dinner, clubs, sports events, movies, parties, dancing, or stayed at home and listened to the radio. We have all of those things still, plus many other forms of entertainment to choose from. For instance, one can sit at home with netflix videos mailed directly to them for $14 a month and be happy riding out the recession on the couch.

Another reason I don't think we'll see the same trend is that partner dancing was just more popular in general in the swing era than it is now. Sure, I think partner dancing is on an upward trend generally (if you include salsa and tango, and many other genres), but I don't know if or why that trend would see a spike from the recession.

If anything, I'd guess the biggest factor will be the economic health of individual cities/regions. London is an economic focal point, so people are more likely to be moving there than moving away. i'm just guessing though. That would mean the increase could be due to rise in urban population. I'd be curious to know what happens in cities with more stable populations not effected by economic booms or busts.

Toon Town Dave

#4 Post by Toon Town Dave » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:06 pm

I agree.

Where I live, our economy is chugging along and we're seeing growth, same in the Edmonton scene.

Besides, if it were about cheap entertainment, a second run movie at $4 is cheaper than dancing around here. The "free" dance options rely on patronizing a bar or restaurant so it still costs more once you factor in food and/or drinks.

The only thing that I could see maybe helping is un/under-employment allowing people recreation time. There are still more job openings than people to fill them around here so our challenge is getting people to working dancing into their schedules. Perhaps in a place with higher unemployment it's easier to get people out.

zipthebird

#5 Post by zipthebird » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:46 pm

Chicago has seen an upswing in the past few months. Hard to separate what is due to changes in the economic climate, and what is the usual post-new-years-resolution bump. I wouldn't be surprised if it keeps up over the next several months though, and at that point I'd have to think that it was something related to the economy and the cultural moment.

Either way, the question is providing the subject for a lot of dark humor in our scene--some of the DJs have taken to cracking jokes about it. Maybe we'll start to see the return of dance marathons.

penguin

#6 Post by penguin » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:30 pm

zipthebird wrote: Either way, the question is providing the subject for a lot of dark humor in our scene--some of the DJs have taken to cracking jokes about it. Maybe we'll start to see the return of dance marathons.
Or house rent parties.

Perhaps the changes noticed in London may have something to do with Swing Patrol moving to town?

dogpossum

#7 Post by dogpossum » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:37 pm

penguin wrote: Perhaps the changes noticed in London may have something to do with Swing Patrol moving to town?
That was my thought. Be interesting to see what things are like in a year's time.

Haydn

#8 Post by Haydn » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:13 am

dogpossum wrote:
penguin wrote: Perhaps the changes noticed in London may have something to do with Swing Patrol moving to town?
That was my thought. Be interesting to see what things are like in a year's time.
It's one factor, but it was getting busier before they started. It's interesting to hear that other towns round the world are busier.