Calming a crazy floor

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Haydn

Calming a crazy floor

#1 Post by Haydn » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:30 am

A few dances I go to are held in small bars and attract a majority of inexperienced partner dancers. The resulting dance floor is often crazy with drinks everywhere and kicks and elbows. It's frustrating for more experienced dancers, who can't dance without being kicked.

I wonder if a DJ can control a crazy floor by the music played or in some other way, preferably without losing that vital 'energy'? How would you approach this?

Surreal

#2 Post by Surreal » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:46 pm

Do the dancers make up the majority of the bar? If so, you can just yell at people not to spill drinks and see if they take the hint.

chrisbe

#3 Post by chrisbe » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:59 am

From my point of view this is an issue for the dance teachers and not for the DJs!

Haydn

#4 Post by Haydn » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:04 am

chrisbe wrote:From my point of view this is an issue for the dance teachers and not for the DJs!
Unfortunately, at the dance, it's also a problem for everyone else. I wondered if the DJ can help in some way?

Toon Town Dave

#5 Post by Toon Town Dave » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:34 am

I think it's an issue that should first be brought up with management, at least with respect to drinks on the dance floor. I've been to meat-market night clubs that prohibit drinks on the dance floor and the bouncers do a good job enforcing it.

As far as inebriated people being out of control, again it should be up to management to decide what's out of control and have the bouncers enforce it. If what's happening is what I think, then there's nothing you can do with the music short of silence that will stop them.

Really, it's up to management to determine the policy (maybe they don't see it as a problem or maybe they are unaware and you can alert them to the issue). If there's a policy in place you, as the DJ can always make friendly reminders but that's about it.

fredo

#6 Post by fredo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:56 am

I'd suggest playing slightly faster tunes with a smoother touch to the rhythm, maybe get people balboa dancing, but you can't control that as the DJ -- new dancers will dance how they dance. I agree with others, this is an issue for local instructors and management.

Haydn

#7 Post by Haydn » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:01 am

Hmm ... maybe I exagerrated the 'drinks' problem. The biggest problem is actually people bumping into each other on the dance floor (not because they're drunk) - I'm sure you've experienced this sort of thing - think of a group of enthusiastic inexperienced dancers in a small room with too many collisions for comfort.

chrisbe

#8 Post by chrisbe » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:32 am

I know this problem very well, especially as a regular social dancer and as a dance teacher. That's why I've written it's an issue for the dance teachers, they can show dance technical stuff (e.g. how to kick) and also how to behave on a dance floor. Of course you always will have unexperienced dancers who have to learn that practically on the dance floor. As a DJ, I have not really a possibility to solve this problem.

trev

#9 Post by trev » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:46 pm

Haydn wrote:Hmm ... maybe I exagerrated the 'drinks' problem. The biggest problem is actually people bumping into each other on the dance floor (not because they're drunk) - I'm sure you've experienced this sort of thing - think of a group of enthusiastic inexperienced dancers in a small room with too many collisions for comfort.
If, over time, you continuously play music that sucks... eventually bumping won't be a problem. :P

dogpossum

#10 Post by dogpossum » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:39 pm

Trev's right - stop playing excellent, fun-dancing high-energy music. Then they'll all sit down. You have only yourself to blame. :P

CafeSavoy

Re: Calming a crazy floor

#11 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:12 am

Haydn wrote:I wonder if a DJ can control a crazy floor by the music played or in some other way, preferably without losing that vital 'energy'? How would you approach this?
If you create a modulated standing wave through the judicious use harmonic couplets, you can modulate the oscillations of the dancers and reduce the total volume of their perturbations. It’s in the DJ manual, Jedi Section.

Mr Awesomer

#12 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:50 pm

Teachers: Most people don't take the useless lessons offered at the beginning of most dances anyway... so trying to pawn this off on the teachers is going to do any good.

DJs: You have the ability to call people out on this. It's called that microphone that sits there in front of your face all night. Use it for once.

Now, the real solution is the experienced people on the floor taking it upon themselves to either 1) make room for themselves or 2) call people out on their crap dancing and tell 'em to watch it. There are several strategies to doing both of these things, and they all work pretty well... and they are all very entertaining.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

dogpossum

#13 Post by dogpossum » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:02 pm

CafeSavoy wrote: It’s in the DJ manual, Jedi Section.
Wait - there's a manual? Isn't there a how-to film on youtube I can watch instead?

djstarr

#14 Post by djstarr » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:52 pm

Haydn wrote:A few dances I go to are held in small bars and attract a majority of inexperienced partner dancers. The resulting dance floor is often crazy with drinks everywhere and kicks and elbows. It's frustrating for more experienced dancers, who can't dance without being kicked.

I wonder if a DJ can control a crazy floor by the music played or in some other way, preferably without losing that vital 'energy'? How would you approach this?
I'd suggest putting on Jump Jive 'n Wail or Sing Sing Sing..... :P

Eyeball

#15 Post by Eyeball » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:00 pm

Perhaps a bright spotlight on the offending dancers and a laugh track?

Or ruminate about your philosophies of life on mic using a George Melly voice.