It really is too darn hot... too hot to DJ?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

dogpossum

It really is too darn hot... too hot to DJ?

#1 Post by dogpossum » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:05 am

We're having the sort of heat wave that makes for scary bush fires and power outages. But people still want to dance. It was 46*C in Melbourne today :shock:, and I'm DJing for a crowd in Sydney after a day in the (comparatively cool but incredibly humid) mid 30s. Airconditioning? On our budget? Pft.

Anyone have any tips for playing under these sorts of conditions? I'm thinking moving up and down the tempos quickly will be important, but I'm not sure whether to keep the energy up, or to let people mellow out (and sit down at the bar with beer and never move again...).

I'll be DJing before I see your replies, but this heat wave isn't going anywhere any time soon: tips please!

[Also, how about sending us some of your snow, northern hemispherers?]

Haydn

#2 Post by Haydn » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:09 am

Sitting shivering in London with snow, ice and chilly east winds, I wouldn't mind swapping climates for a few days ... The only suggestion I'd make from experience is to check the equipment is as cool as you can get it, and is well ventilated. A lot of electronic equipment doesn't like it when things get too hot. Maybe dancing before you DJ would help give you a real feel of just how unbearable things are and give you a feel for the appropriate mood and tempos.

Eyeball

#3 Post by Eyeball » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:24 am

That's 114 degrees F.

Hot kinda.

No A/C?

Ow!
Will big bands ever come back?

trev

#4 Post by trev » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:47 am

We get really hot weather quite often and I find it works best to vary the styles and tempos more quickly than otherwise. Whilst the average BPM might end up a little bit lower, don't over do it. I once made the mistake of assuming that because it was very hot, everyone would want to dance much slower, and consequently the night developed a lethargic feel to it. Mix the high-energy and cruisey songs in there, but don't go exclusive on either.