The impossible request

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Kiddimes

#16 Post by Kiddimes » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:56 pm

J-h:n wrote:Loved Sweet & Lowdown, one of Woody Allen's better films of recent years and one of Sean Penn's better performances period, and of course the music is excellent. No critics seemed to notice that the plot was a complete ripoff of (or let's be generous and call it an homage to) Fellini's La Strada, though.
I agree 100% I honestly did not care at all for Sean Penn until I saw this movie. It is such an amazing performance! The film is just great, not a typical Woody Allen film. Yes it's funny but by the end it's so sad as well.

The confusion is that the film plays almost as a docu-drama with interviews at the beginning with real Jazz experts talking about the fictional characters life and music as if he were real.

Go get the Soundtrack, it's absolutely amazing. And FYI the group that is actually performing is the Dick Hyman Group, featuring Howard Alden.

Kiddimes

#17 Post by Kiddimes » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:58 pm

Nate Dogg wrote: Night Train - Marvin Berry & The Starlighters -- (from Back To The Future)
<---- "Chuck! Chuck! this is your cousin Marvin!....MARVIN BERRY!" Such a great scene. hahaha

dogpossum

#18 Post by dogpossum » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:12 pm

Kiddimes wrote:
J-h:n wrote:Loved Sweet & Lowdown, one of Woody Allen's better films of recent years and one of Sean Penn's better performances period, and of course the music is excellent. No critics seemed to notice that the plot was a complete ripoff of (or let's be generous and call it an homage to) Fellini's La Strada, though.
I agree 100% I honestly did not care at all for Sean Penn until I saw this movie. It is such an amazing performance! The film is just great, not a typical Woody Allen film. Yes it's funny but by the end it's so sad as well.

The confusion is that the film plays almost as a docu-drama with interviews at the beginning with real Jazz experts talking about the fictional characters life and music as if he were real.

Go get the Soundtrack, it's absolutely amazing. And FYI the group that is actually performing is the Dick Hyman Group, featuring Howard Alden.
[completely off-topic]Woody Allen has made other 'docu drama' type films. Zelig (1983) is my favourite. It's presented as a very 'Ken Burns' type documentary (lots of 'zooming in' on still photos, use of archival footage etc) of a fictional man, with interviews with all sorts of _real_ famous people. In typical Allen style, there're lots of references to the 20s and 30s, from music to 'period' photos and stereotypically 'jazz era' themes. Allen is probably an even bigger swing era nerd than we SwingDJs types. You can watch the first five minutes of Zelig on Youtube here.[/]

Travis

#19 Post by Travis » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:00 pm

dogpossum wrote:Allen is probably an even bigger swing era nerd than we SwingDJs types.
Most folks probably know this but Woody plays clarinet and occasionally tours with a New Orleans style jazz band. The documentary "Wild Man Blues" follows Woody along as he and his band play a variety of gigs. The soundtrack is available for download on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Man-Blues-19 ... B00000FDHA

remysun

#20 Post by remysun » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:59 pm

Someone has clearly requested The soundtrack from Sweet and Lowdown. Get it, and play some Django for now.