Meet Chicago DJ James Pustejovsky

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

Meet Chicago DJ James Pustejovsky

#1 Post by Eyeball » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:11 am

http://pustoblogsky.blogspot.com/

2 play lists recent near middle of page.
Will big bands ever come back?

zipthebird

#2 Post by zipthebird » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:46 am

That's me. Actually, if you're looking for my setlists--here's a bunch more. I've posted every one of my sets from Fizz, the Monday night dance in Chicago, for the past two years. If you are looking to get a sense of the sorts of music played in the Chicago scene, this may be as good a sample as you can get--though far from perfect, since I'm not very representative of the other DJs around Chicago.

Eyeball

#3 Post by Eyeball » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:06 pm

zipthebird wrote:That's me. Actually, if you're looking for my setlists--here's a bunch more. I've posted every one of my sets from Fizz, the Monday night dance in Chicago, for the past two years. If you are looking to get a sense of the sorts of music played in the Chicago scene, this may be as good a sample as you can get--though far from perfect, since I'm not very representative of the other DJs around Chicago.
Thanks.

Your blog came up on a "Google Alert" b/c you used "Glenn Miller" in it.

What is the rest of the Chicago like? I don't know if we hear too much about events and activities there. You are *not* representative of them, you say?

zipthebird

#4 Post by zipthebird » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:23 pm

Chicago has a pretty diverse crowd of dj's, some of whom have been spinning for many years--5+, 8+ or more. And we're all pretty opinionated. On the whole, I would say that I play more pre-WWII big band, more 30's small group jazz, and more New Orleans/Dixieland-inspired jazz than most of the other DJs.

But it's a matter of degree. Compared to many of the DJs on this board, I probably play less of all that stuff, more post-1950's blues-inflected jazz (think Helen Humes Black & Blue sessions, Jimmy Witherspoon, Dinah Washington), more small-combo swingin' jazz (like Earl Grant, Oscar Peterson), and more New Testament big band stuff. The Chicago scene has a taste for that sort of jazz, for all sorts of reasons. It'd be foolish of me not to accommodate.