Anybody Shuffle?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Haydn

Anybody Shuffle?

#1 Post by Haydn » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:19 am

Sometimes when I play swing songs on my iPod with random Shuffle, the iPod comes up with some great song sequences - fresh, fun, surprising.

Which made me think about DJing this way. Ever tried this?

J-h:n

Re: Anybody Shuffle?

#2 Post by J-h:n » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:04 am

Haydn wrote:Sometimes when I play swing songs on my iPod with random Shuffle, the iPod comes up with some great song sequences - fresh, fun, surprising.

I've had the exact same experience, but then I've also had the exact opposite experience. A better idea would probably be to write down the surprisingly great sequences and use them. Also more boring , I know.

SoundInMotionDJ

#3 Post by SoundInMotionDJ » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:38 am

I often use random when I'm listening to music. Sometimes the combinations are interesting, thought provoking, and lead to inspiration to use when crafting a set.

BUT...I would never use random/shuffle when I was at an event. The day I think random will pick better songs that I can, is the day I hang up my headphones.

Surreal

#4 Post by Surreal » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:31 pm

I think my brother has a shirt that says "DJ Party Shuffle"...

Haydn

Re: Anybody Shuffle?

#5 Post by Haydn » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:43 am

J-h:n wrote:
Haydn wrote:Sometimes when I play swing songs on my iPod with random Shuffle, the iPod comes up with some great song sequences - fresh, fun, surprising.

I've had the exact same experience, but then I've also had the exact opposite experience. A better idea would probably be to write down the surprisingly great sequences and use them. Also more boring , I know.
Another related thing I've noticed when using my iPod. When I look at the name of a song before playing it, the pleasure disappears, but when I hide the screen and just press the button to go to the next song, either on a list or using Shuffle, it's exciting. Somehow, when my brain sees the name of a song, it makes an instantaneous judgement and the pleasure disappears. Whereas if I've got no idea what's coming next, it's fun fun fun. What's going on there ... ?

J-h:n

#6 Post by J-h:n » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:26 am

I like to play "Guess the tune" with myself when on shuffle - see if I can recognize the tune without looking. If I were more competitive I might have started counting scores too, but I can't really be bothered.

penguin

#7 Post by penguin » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:42 am

If shuffle could do as good or better job than we could then well...

There would be no swing djs.

Haydn

#8 Post by Haydn » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:21 am

J-h:n wrote:I like to play "Guess the tune" with myself when on shuffle - see if I can recognize the tune without looking. If I were more competitive I might have started counting scores too, but I can't really be bothered.
Have you tried the 'Music Quiz' game on the iPod?

Mr Awesomer

#9 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:16 pm

penguin wrote:If shuffle could do as good or better job than we could then well...

There would be no swing djs.
Isn't that all we're doing... shuffling our music? haha
Reuben Brown
Southern California

fredo

#10 Post by fredo » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:02 pm

yeah, let's hope those mad scientists don't create the first AI DJ computer that can pass the Turing test for dancer requests! haha

<below is a dramatization>

DJ Shuffle: Hello, my name is Dee Jay and I am a swing DJ.

dancer: hey, can you play some 'real' swing music?

DJ Shuffle: I am a swing DJ.

dancer: huh?

DJ Shuffle: Don't worry, I'll keep it swinging.

dancer: Do you have any Sinatra?

DJ Shuffle: Let's move on from that basis.

dancer: Why?

DJ Shuffle: Why? I like swing music.

dancer: Are you going to play my request?

DJ Shuffle: What is the my request? I know that it's good to play swing music. Let's keep it swinging.

dancer: nevermind.

Toon Town Dave

#11 Post by Toon Town Dave » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:55 pm

How about a slot machine-like device. Want to make a request? Stuff money in and try your luck.

penguin

#12 Post by penguin » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:04 pm

fredo wrote:yeah, let's hope those mad scientists don't create the first AI DJ computer that can pass the Turing test for dancer requests! haha

<below is a dramatization>

DJ Shuffle: Hello, my name is Dee Jay and I am a swing DJ.

dancer: hey, can you play some 'real' swing music?

DJ Shuffle: I am a swing DJ.

dancer: huh?

DJ Shuffle: Don't worry, I'll keep it swinging.

dancer: Do you have any Sinatra?

DJ Shuffle: Let's move on from that basis.

dancer: Why?

DJ Shuffle: Why? I like swing music.

dancer: Are you going to play my request?

DJ Shuffle: What is the my request? I know that it's good to play swing music. Let's keep it swinging.

dancer: nevermind.
Sounds pretty accurate. :D

mr. e

Use it for inspiration

#13 Post by mr. e » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:03 am

Use shuffle on your preview headphones. If it comes up with a good song, try to find some transition songs to it.

I like using randomness to pull up some songs I don't play too often. But I wouldn't blindly throw them at the audience, they still have to fit the mood. Sometimes songs come up that I really want to play, so I put them on my shortlist and try to find some transition. Some usually remain sitting there until the end of the set, because they're great songs but just didn't fit in.
Sometimes the random songs that come up don't fit at all, but give me an idea on what to play next. Then I'll dig out the other song and put it in the shortlist instead.

djstarr

#14 Post by djstarr » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:08 pm

fredo wrote:.....dancer: Are you going to play my request?

Open the pod bay doors Hal.