Overplayed songs

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

dogpossum

#46 Post by dogpossum » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:37 pm

I've been holding off posting this for a while, but I can't resist...

The last set I played in Melbourne before moving up to Sydney was an after party for a large competition event (17th July). This thread had been rolling along, and I was thinking a lot about overplayed stuff. I know I tend to lean on some of my favourites, and have been (and continue) trying to throw away the crutches.
By the time I played this set it was midnight on the Saturday after we'd packed and cleaned our house and the movers had taken away all our stuff. We were flying out the next Monday. So I was kind of wacky in the head.
There were enough of my close friends at the gig to prompt bad behaviour, and I figured I'd see what would happen if I played a set made up entirely of old favourites - you know, embrace the badness. So I did (with a couple of newer obsessions for my sake).
The floor was packed and people danced like crazy fools - all that sitting and watching other people compete had riled them up. Every now and then someone would yell out "I love this song!" There were a lot of interstaters and the room was absolutely heaving - it was like a moshpit. So I was kind of playing to the perfect room: crowding + endorphines + post-comp excitement = sweet DJing op.

This is what I played. The room was empty til 'Lemonade' - that's when people finally started arriving from the comp. So everything up til then was testing the sound and then just my playing songs I'm fond of in no particular order. From about 'Fiddle Diddle' there were about 20 people talking and drinking and generally catching up. By 'Lemonade' I decided I wanted them to dance a bit, so I got into the old faves).
I've added comments about when I hear a song and whether I think it's overplayed. So this is an indication of where I dance(d) in Melbourne and the exchanges I go to interstate. So it's probably not a comprehensive overview of Australian overplayed music. :D Russell, Trev, Gunther, etc could probably give a better idea of the other local scenes and what's overplayed elsewhere in Australia.
I like imagining that there are lounge rooms full of kids dancing like maniacs to Mills Blue Rhythm Band, Jimmy Noone and Fats Waller all over Australia.

Blue Skies - Peggy Lee and The Four Of A Kind 136 1998 [This was a request from the door bitch. I love this song. I never play it for dancers. It's from the Peggy Lee/June Christy Mosaic set (which is lovely, but which I rarely use for DJing). I hear other versions of this overplayed.]

Wake Up! Chill'un, Wake up! - Jimmie Noone's Apex Club Orchestra 125 1929 [Noone is my latest passion. I have a morbid, miserable version of 'Love me or leave me' of his that I'm trying to find the right crowd to play for. I love it. I never play this song for dancers and I don't hear it. But it's lovely.]

Laff, Slam, Laff - Slam Stewart 156 1945 [I love this, but never play it. I don't hear it out.]

Florida Flo - Fats Waller And His Rhythm 156 1937 [I never play this. I love it. I think I've heard it once or twice at an exchange, but not in Melbourne.]

Evenin' - Count Basie and His Orchestra with Lester Young and Jimmy Rushing 164 1940 [One of my new obsessions. Each time I've played it for dancers it's bombed. I will keep trying. It's from the newest Mosaic Basie set. I don't hear anyone else play it.]

Bearcat Shuffle - Andy Kirk and his Twelve Clouds of Joy with Mary Lou Williams 160 1936 [I am currently trying to overplay this song. I love it. Dancers love it. I hear it occasionally at exchanges but not in Melbourne.]

Algiers Stomp - The Mills Blue Rhythm Band 219 1936 [Popular with balboa dancers in Melbourne. I don't hear it anywhere else (though I'd say Perth kids were into it. I adore it.]

Fiddle Diddle - Lionel Hampton and His Orchestra with Lionel Hampton 143 1938 [This is where I started DJing properly, as a few people had arrived. I love this song and am also currently trying to overplay it. It's from the Mosaic Hamp set. I don't hear other people play it, though I'm sure people like Trev and other Perthies play it.]

Loch Lomond - Chu Berry with Wingy Mannone & His Orchestra 153 1938 [More Mosaic (Chu Berry goodness). This one goes down well with dancers. I always think of Maxine Sullivan when I play it. I don't hear this one.]

Lemonade - Louis Jordan and his Tympany Five 117 1950 [This is where I started getting serious. Blokes shouting about women and drink make people want to dance. I don't know anyone else who plays this.]

Blue Monday- Jimmy Witherspoon With Jay McShann And His Band 125 1957 [I am overplaying the Witherspoon Mosaic single I bought. It's either this or 'Froggy Bottom' that I overplay. I only hear Russell play this album in Aus.]

Every Day I Have The Blues - Count Basie and His Orchestra 116 1959 [This is massively overplayed in Melbourne, mostly by me. I've moved on a bit from this one (it's the one from 'Breakfast Dance and BBQ'), but it's still a neat song. If you can stand to hear it. Again.]

Blues For Stephanie - George Gee And His Make-Believe Ballroom Orchestra 140 [Overplayed for hundreds of years by everyone everywhere. Nostalgic sighs from the crowd.]

Massachusetts - Maxine Sullivan 147 1956 [I don't hear many other people play this, but I seem to play it every single set I do. It will always get people up on the floor. Always. It's from the Andy Razaf tribute album. I am trying to move on. But can't. Curse Hey Mr Jesse and those recommendations.]

C-Jam Blues - Lincoln Centre Jazz Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis 143 1999 [No overplayed set would be complete without it.]

Blues In Hoss's Flat - Count Basie 144 1958 [Nor this. Both of these are seriously overplayed everywhere, and are also wonderful. This version is from 'Chairmen of the Board' - another recommended on Hey Mr Jesse (or on swingdjs... I forget)].

Mr. Ghost Goes To Town - Mora's Modern Rhythmists 170 1991 [I've only recently bought this MMR CD, so I'm playing it to death. This used to get played _all_ the time everywhere, someone did a routine to it, but it's less common now. Some of the newer dancers are getting into MMR and Campus5 in Melbourne, so it's popped up a few times lately. I love it.]

Lavender Coffin - Lionel Hampton and His Orchestra with Sonny Parker and Joe James 134 1949 [Overplayed everywhere. Still an effective crowd-starter. I'm almost completely over it.]

Cole Slaw - Jesse Stone and His Orchestra 145 [Overplayed and beginning to make me feel a bit cranky when I hear it. There's a Louis Jordan version making the rounds in Melbourne and Sydney, but this one is better. Thank you Hey Mr Jesse - you rock.]

Bearcat Shuffle - Andy Kirk and his Twelve Clouds of Joy with Mary Lou Williams 160 1936 [Yes, I played this twice. Because no one heard it the first time.]

Shortnin' Bread - Fats Waller 195 2005 [I overplay this but I don't hear anyone else play it. It's awesome.]

Savoy Blues - Kid Ory 134 1945 [This version of 'Savoy Blues' is seriously overplayed in Melbourne (and everywhere else in Australia). I am currently loving a Louis Armstrong Hot Five version but I haven't played it for dancers yet.]

I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate - Muggsy Spanier and his Ragtime Band 155 1939 [This is overplayed in some towns, and is often overplayed at exchanges. I still love it, and I love the idea of shaking it like jelly on a plate. Yes, please.]

Joshua Fit De Battle Of Jericho - Kid Ory And His Creole Jazz Band 160 1946 [I play this version of 'Jericho' a LOT. I prefer it to the Bechet one - it has vocals and some really nice sauce. I found it on a cheap, dodgy 'best of' Kid Ory CD on amazon for $2.]

Blues My Naughty Sweetie - Sidney Bechet 140 1951 [This is overplayed in Melbourne. I'm sick of it.]

A Viper's Moan - Willie Bryant And His Orchestra 153 1936 ['Viper's Moan' is overplayed everywhere I've been in Aus, both the Bryant version and the MMR's version. I still love it to bits.]

Bli-Blip - Jonathan Stout And His Campus Five 140 2007 ['Blip Blip' is an old, overplayed fave (the LCJO and Ella versions), but this Campus 5 one is less common. I am overplaying it everywhere I go.]

djstarr

#47 Post by djstarr » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:26 am

Sam - I enjoyed your post! Blues in Hoss Flat used to be one of my absolute go-to songs; it had been recommended on this forum. It's a great song.

Here is my top 10 list. This is over 15 months of dj'ing off of a laptop:

28 plays - Ain't Misbehavin'|Sidney Bechet|Blues In Thirds 1940-41
24 plays - It's De-Lovely|The Boilermaker Jazz Band|Give Me Your Telephone Number
22 plays - A Good Man is Hard to Find|Fats Waller|The Very Best Of Fats Waller
20 plays - Evenin'|New Orleans Jazz Vipers|New Orleans Jazz Vipers
19 plays - Opus One|Anita O'Day, Gene Krupa|Let Me Off Uptown, The Best of Anita O'Day
18 plays - Love Me or Leave Me|Titan Hot Seven|Out of the Box
18 plays - Goody Goody|Ella Fitzgerald|75th Birthday Celebration Disc
18 plays - Cross Your Heart|Shaw Artie|The Complete Gramercy Five Sessions
18 plays - All That Meat And No Potatoes|Louis Armstrong|Satch Plays Fats
16 plays - But Not For Me|Billie Holiday|Songs for Distingue Lovers

russell

#48 Post by russell » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:22 am

Interesting discussion. I find as a DJ I have my own overplayed songs that are not necessarily overplayed in a scene. I have old favourites that I fall back to get something happening.
Just a small side discussion - I love the song Evenin as well. The version I play most is by Girls From Mars - great modern version. I also played the Count Basie live version from Newport at Melbourne Swing Festival this year - I think this live version has more energy than the studio version. Also played Froggy Bottom and Blue Monday from the Jimmy Witherspoon CD that night. (I also play Lemonade when you are not there DP as I heard it from you :D )
I think overplayed songs in Australia go in waves. DJs hear songs at major events (especially at Camp Oz) and then take them back to their local scenes and use them a lot. Songs in this category include Keep On Churnin (used in class by Steven Mitchell this year) and Idlewild Blue in a previous year.
For overplayed songs I try to find new versions of the songs that offer something a little different. I am currently using different version of Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gave Me because I think the SIdney Bechet version is overplayed at present (a version by Ian Menzies and another by Glenn Miller which is interesting).
DJStarr - a checked out some of the songs in your list - some stuff I have in my collection that I haven't used so will have to try them out - include A'int Misbehavin, A Good Man Is Hard To Find, Evenin (a bit long to use regularly??), Cross Your Heart, But Not For Me.

Haydn

#49 Post by Haydn » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:01 pm

dogpossum wrote:I figured I'd see what would happen if I played a set made up entirely of old favourites - you know, embrace the badness. So I did (with a couple of newer obsessions for my sake).
The floor was packed and people danced like crazy fools - all that sitting and watching other people compete had riled them up. Every now and then someone would yell out "I love this song!" There were a lot of interstaters and the room was absolutely heaving - it was like a moshpit. So I was kind of playing to the perfect room: crowding + endorphines + post-comp excitement = sweet DJing op.
Loved your post Sam :D. Sounds as though it was another great night.

Loch Lomond - Chu Berry with Wingy Manone & His Orchestra 153 1938 [More Mosaic (Chu Berry goodness). This one goes down well with dancers. I always think of Maxine Sullivan when I play it. I don't hear this one.]
Do you mean the earlier 1937 Maxine Sullivan version or one of the later versions? I love the 1937 one with the John Kirby Sextet. The sound's not perfect, but the music more than makes up for it, with her lilting voice, and some nice clarinet and sax action. (Wingy's got a nice version too :) )

djstarr

#50 Post by djstarr » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:06 pm

russell wrote:Songs in this category include Keep On Churnin (used in class by Steven Mitchell this year......
DJStarr - .... Evenin (a bit long to use regularly??), Cross Your Heart, But Not For Me
My brain waves are really locked in lately. I'm reading this post and just so happen to be listening to Wynonie Harris, which just showed up via UPS at noon. I assume that is the version of Keep on Churnin'? We had the Loose Marbles in town for a week, and one of the guys asked us whether we ever spun Wynonie Harris and had a note in his phone from 2006 to get Keep on Churnin'. So I ordered the CD. lol.

Evenin'. It may seem long, but it has great energy build and it's a slower tempo so I have never had any complaints. I usually have one or two people come up and ask me about the song. I think it's a good break in a lindy set especially if there have been lots of fast songs played over the night.

Cross Your Heart - never spun this until Fredo played it, and now it's on my top 10. Thanks Freddie!

But Not For Me - I love everything on those Verve sessions in '57, but this song is my favorite. The solos are especially good.

dogpossum

#51 Post by dogpossum » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:17 pm

:) to everyone.

Re 'Evenin'' - it's just new to me, but just after I decided I had to play it every single set I noticed it was in the Jam Cellar Yehoodi show and I think I remember you playing it at MSF, Russ. :D
I guess I'm one of those kids who keeps songs overplayed - I come in wanting to hear it just as everyone else is sick of it.
I have a couple of versions, but the one I love most is from the Basie/Young Mosaic.

Re that version of 'Loch Lomond'. The version I played was off the Chu Berry Mosaic (I'm still riding the Mosaic sets I bought earlier this year!). There's a version on Sullivan's 1956 Tribute to Andy Razaf
But I think it might only be on the 'remastered/extras/bells and whistles version I own on CD.

I still haven't bought any Wynonie Harris. I think I'd quite love him - I have done a few dirty Kansas/beer-drinking/jook joint type sets and I think he'd really fit in. Not exactly hard core lindy hopping action, but great for after parties where they have free beer and food.

lipi

#52 Post by lipi » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:39 pm

dogpossum wrote: I have a couple of versions, but the one I love most is from the Basie/Young Mosaic.
i love that version of evenin'. it's also on the america's #1 band set.
There's a version on Sullivan's 1956 Tribute to Andy Razaf
But I think it might only be on the 'remastered/extras/bells and whistles version I own on CD.
yup, it is. you can get just the last two tracks from emusic or amazon if you have the old release.

there's also a slower (128 bpm) 1937 sullivan version. i have it on the proper introduction. oh. haydn mentioned that one. right.

Capt Morgan

#53 Post by Capt Morgan » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:00 pm

djstarr wrote: Cross Your Heart - never spun this until Fredo played it, and now it's on my top 10. Thanks Freddie!
Should be playing the Midiri Brothers version!

Haydn

Re: Overplayed songs

#54 Post by Haydn » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:15 am

Returning to the original question from Richard: When is an over-played tune a bad tune?

I think the simple answer is: Never. Meaning, an over-played tune must be a good tune to be played a lot in the first place.

But another important question is: When should an over-played tune be avoided?

I think the answer is: When a significant proportion of the crowd will be bored rather than excited by it.

Mr Awesomer

Re: Overplayed songs

#55 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:37 pm

Haydn wrote:Returning to the original question from Richard: When is an over-played tune a bad tune?

I think the simple answer is: Never. Meaning, an over-played tune must be a good tune to be played a lot in the first place.
Not necessarily. Just look (er, listen) to the crap that's played over and over again on pop radio.

There are plenty of craptacular overplayed songs in the swing scene.

This isn't to say that there aren't also plenty of songs that are over played because they are indeed, great songs.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Toon Town Dave

#56 Post by Toon Town Dave » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:16 pm

Sadly, it's true. I don't even have to think very hard to name a few craptastic overplayed tunes. "Plenty" is actually the first one that came to my mind.

I do think the music standards of the overall Lindy Hop scene have improved a lot over the last few years. More of the overplayed tunes today are good ones.

Haydn

#57 Post by Haydn » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:32 pm

Toon Town Dave wrote:I don't even have to think very hard to name a few craptastic overplayed tunes
Care to name a few then? :wink:

Toon Town Dave

#58 Post by Toon Town Dave » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:29 pm

That Us 3 re-mix of Cantaloop, thankfully not played any more or at least not at the events, scenes and venues I go to. Still kind of fun for westie but they don't dance that fast anymore :p

Blu Cantrell's Swingin (I've even heard this one at westie event and it didn't seem very popular) Also, thankfully not played anymore.

That damn Shim Sham Song from Bill Elliott, still played by inexperienced DJs.

That damn tune from the Mercury commercials a few years ago that was (and still is in some places) popular for swing rueda. It's like dancing to a muffled air-raid siren.

Crabbuckit by K-OS was popular and frequently played in one smaller scene I've been to a few times. For the life of I can't understand how anyone could think it's suitable for swing dancing.

F'n Van Morrison's Moondance, still played, still awful for swing dancing.

Based on the music at the wedding I was at a couple weekends ago, some general purpose DJs still seem to think Jive Bunny is still a good idea (not only is it horrible for swing dancing, it's a horrible re-mix job). Thankfully I think I've only heard it once at an actual swing dance although once for Jive bunny is enough to qualify as infinitely overplayed.

Peter Gunn and the Pink Panther Theme -- showtunes, need I say more.

That's enough awfulness for now.

fredo

#59 Post by fredo » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:50 pm

i can't emphasize enough how much i dislike Jive Bunny.

It's impossible to go to a family wedding now because they always want to see you swing dance, but as you point out, most wedding DJs seem to think that Jive Bunny is the go-to song if someone requests a swing dance.

it was an excruciating 3 minutes until it was faded out.

the only saving grace is when it cuts to In the Mood. :roll:

Mr Awesomer

#60 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:53 pm

Ugh... wedding DJs... are... the... worse.

(though I think I've already said that many times)
Reuben Brown
Southern California