last night's playlist, take 2

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

lipi

last night's playlist, take 2

#1 Post by lipi » Thu May 15, 2008 10:30 am

this thread may seem familiar. i thought two separate ones would be clearer, but mods, feel free to merge.

St James Infirmary; Turk Murphy; 112; New Orleans Stomp
Perdido Street Blues; Louis Armstrong; 144; The Complete Decca Studio Master Takes 1940-1949
Sing Me a Swing Song (and Let Me Dance); Ella Fitzgerald; 162; Ella Fitzgerald --The Early Years -- Part 1
Too Darn Hot; Ella Fitzgerald; 162; The Cole Porter Song Book

(mixer) I Get a Kick out of You; Dinah Washington; 134; The Complete Dinah Washington on Mercury Vol.4 1954-1956
Drop Me Off in New Orleans; Kermit Ruffins; 169; 1533 St. Philip Street
I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate; Eddie Condon; 178; The Town Hall Concerts, Volume 10
St. Louis Blues; Frank "Big Boy" Goudie; 137; Django Reinhardt: The Classic Early Recordings
I Like Pie, I Like Cake; The Four Clefs; 166; The Jive Is Jumpin': RCA and Victor Vocal Groups 1939-52
Joshua Fit de Battle o' Jericho; Sidney Bechet and his Blue Note Jazzmen; 180; Complete 1939-1951 Blue Note Master Takes

(announcement)

(request) Cole Slaw; Jesse Stone; 144; Original Swingers
Safronia B; Calvin Boze; 169; Jumpin' Like Mad
Blue Suit Boogie; Indigo Swing; 174; All Aboard!
Roll 'em Pete; Count Basie; 178; Complete Clef/Verve Count Basie Fifties Studio Recordings
Cow Cow Boogie; Freddie Slack; 108; Mosaic Select 18: Freddie Slack

(birthday jam) This Little Light of Mine; Gene Harris; 144; The Best of the Concord Years
(shim sham) 't Ain't What You Do; Jimmie Lunceford; 160; Lunceford Special 1939-40
On Revival Day; LaVern Baker; 142; Precious Memories / LaVern Sings Bessie Smith
Dear Old Southland; Noble Sissle and his Orchestra; 144; Portrait
Fine Brown Frame; Nellie Lutcher; 121; Nellie Lutcher and Her Rhythm
Massachusetts; Maxine Sullivan; 145; A Tribute to Andy Razaf
Look-a There; Slim Gaillard & Slam Stewart; 179; Complete Columbia Master Takes
Hit That Jive Jack; Nat King Cole; 199; Dope & Glory: Reefer Songs der 30er & 40er Jahre
Don't Falter at the Alter; Cab Calloway; 142; Are You Hep to the Jive?
Ol' Man Mose; Ella Fitzgerald; 168; Jukebox Ella (The Complete Verve Singles, Volume 1)
Ham and Eggs; Titan Hot Seven; 146; At Home with the Titan Hot Seven

(mixer) Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives to Me; Sidney Bechet and his Hot Six; 136; Complete 1939-1951 Blue Note Master Takes
Flying Home, No. 2; Lionel Hampton; 163; Lionel Hampton Story 2: Flying Home
Sweet and Slow; Harlem Hot Shots; 175; The Complete Brunswick & Vocalion Recordings of Louis Prima and Wingy Manone (1924-1937)
Take My Love with You; Eli "Paperboy" Reed & The True Loves; (Am I Just) Fooling Myself? / Take My Love With You - Single
Twistin' the Night Away; Sam Cooke; The Best of Sam Cooke
I Like It Like That (part 1); Chris Kenner; Land of 1000 Dances
Oh Mary, Don't You Weep; The Soul Stirrers; Sam Cooke's SAR Records Story: 1959 - 1965
South of the Border; 4 Beat 6; 141; The Band That Plays the Music of Benny Goodman, Volume 1
Rose Room; Sidney Bechet and his New Orleans Feetwarmers; 163; RCA-Victor Master Takes
I'm Coming, Virginia; Sidney Bechet and his New Orleans Feetwarmers; 191; RCA-Victor Master Takes
Did You See Jackie Robinson Hit That Ball?; Buddy Johnson & His Orchestra; 144; Walk 'Em
Jolting Joe DiMaggio; The National Pastime Orchestra; 185; A Century of Baseball in Song
Shout and Feel It; Count Basie; 240; Jazz Archives 73: The Golden Years Vol. 1 1937
Sent for You Yesterday; Count Basie; 166; The Complete Decca Recordings
(request) Shoo Fly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy; June Christy; 126; HopSpot Cologne Presents: Let's Do da Hop, Vol. 1
My Home Is in a Southern Town; Don Ewell; 147; Man Here Plays Fine Piano!
Coal Cart Blues; Louis Armstrong; 132; The Complete Decca Studio Master Takes 1940-1949
I Love Being Here with You Barbara Morrison; 155; Live at the 9:20 Special
(request) Nature Boy; Johnny Hartman; 141; For Trane
(request) Solid As a Rock; Ella Fitzgerald; 151; 1950
(o.k., people, time to leave...) Sweet Soul Music; Arthur Conley; The Golden Age of Black Music (1960-1970)
(get out!) Billie Jean; Michael Jackson; History
(beat it!) Beat It; Michael Jackson; History
(for real) Never Gonna Give You Up; Rick Astley; Whenever You Need Somebody

three things i tried to do:
1) the class before the dance used some very slow music, so i picked a first song that was slow, but energetic. except for that first song, i tried to keep my first set a little faster than last time. i think it worked fine.
2) i tried to play little blocks of three or so songs that fit together in style. i think that worked well, too.
3) it was sidney bechet's birthday, so i played a huge amount of his stuff. also because he's The Man. but the birthday was a nice excuse.

several people came to ask about specific songs, and two (or three?) just to say they liked the music in general. yay! :o)

and...the things that did not go stellarly:

condon's "sister kate". dunno. will try again.

basie's "roll 'em pete" -- were people tired from the previous two? they weren't terribly fast, but everyone was dancing, and it was hot.
"cow cow boogie" -- lost 'em on the previous one, and this was too slow to get them right back. oops.

"this little light of mine" felt long for the birthday jam. there were three people being jammed, all leads. should have picked something shorter.

nellie lutcher, "fine brown frame" -- too low-energy. i didn't preview, because "i know this song...". actually, i didn't preview much at all. would have benefitted here.

i lost a lot of people with "hit that jive jack" (though one came up to say he really liked it). this was not unexpected. but then i had trouble building the energy back up the next three songs and kinda jumped around trying to find something that would get people excited.

"mary don't you weep" is a little slow. would probably play something else there if i had a do-over.

from "rose room" on, the crowd had thinned down to a dozen people or so, and it became hard to judge what worked and what didn't. there were a few couples dancing on every song, but also lots of chatting and watching. people requested some songs (then promptly didn't dance them--but of course), etc. it seemed a happy wind-down. i wish i'd counted how many people there were throughout the night, but i didn't. perhaps 50 or so at the beginning? i have a hard time estimating.

lipi

#2 Post by lipi » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:25 pm

another month. it was crowded last night, but i had a hard time finding what people wanted to hear, so my set was all over the place. :o(

Dr. Jazz; Louis Armstrong; 147; Satchmo Plays King Oliver
Michigander Blues; Jabbo Smith; 142; 1929 - The Complete Set
All Right, Okay, You Win; Count Basie; 146; Count Basie at Newport
Esquire Bounce; Coleman Hawkins with Loenard Feather's Esquire All Stars (1943); 168; Summit Meetings 1939-1950
720 in the Book; Jan Savitt & his Top Hatters; 175; The Uncollected Jan Savitt, 1939
Ol' Man Mose; Ella Fitzgerald; 168; Jukebox Ella (The Complete Verve Singles, Volume 1)

(mixer) Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives to Me; Sidney Bechet and his Hot Six; 136; Complete 1939-1951 Blue Note Master Takes
Gimme a Pigfoot LaVern Baker; 120; Precious Memories / LaVern Sings Bessie Smith
Love Me or Leave Me; Sammy Davis Jr.; 149
The Jumpin' Blues; Jimmy Witherspoon with Jay McShann and His Band; 150; Goin' to Kansas City Blues
Fine Brown Frame; Lou Rawls; 125; The Legendary
Shufflin' and Rollin'; Buddy Johnson & His Orchestra; 150; Walk 'Em
When My Sugar Walks down the Street; The Original Memphis Five; 170; Connee Boswell and the Original Memphis Five in Hi-Fi
Shake That Thing; Turk Murphy's Jazz Band; 180; Jazz Band Ball
My Baby's Sweet; The Swing Session; 160; The Swing Session
Boogie Woogie; Tommy Dorsey; 149; The Fabulous Swing Collection
Caldonia Boogie; Louis Jordan and his Tympany Five; 160; Louis Jordan and his Tympany Five

(performances)

Things Ain't What They Used to Be; Duke Ellington; 125; The Ella Fitzgerald and Duke Ellington Côte d'Azur Concerts on Verve
Jones (diff take); Duke Ellington; 145; The Cosmic Scene
Back Bay Shuffle; Artie Shaw & His Orchestra; 175; Self Portrait

(birthday jam) Corner Pocket; Count Basie; 152; Count Basie: Live at the Sands
(shim sham) 't Ain't What You Do; Jimmie Lunceford; 160; Lunceford Special 1939-40
Who Ya Hunchin; Chick Webb; 184; Strictly Jive
Look-a There; Slim Gaillard & Slam Stewart; 179; Complete Columbia Master Takes
Swing This; The Hot Club of San Francisco; 210; Swing This
Sweethearts on Parade; Cozy Cole's Big Seven; 160; Coleman Hawkins in the '50's: "Body and Soul" Revisited
Lullaby of Birdland; Ella Fitzgerald; 129; The Ella Fitzgerald and Duke Ellington Côte d'Azur Concerts on Verve
Swing, Brother, Swing (live); Billie Holiday; 154; Complete Columbia Golden Years Recordings
Rhythm in My Nursery Rhymes; Count Basie; 170; Jazz Archives 73: The Golden Years Vol. 1 1937
(oops--slip of the mouse. i meant to play basie's "easy does it"!) Rockin in Rhythm; Duke Ellington; 186; An Anthology of Big Band Swing 1930-1955
Oo Poppa Do; Little Esther Phillips; 134; Original Swingers
I Got You (I Feel Good); James Brown; 20 All Time Greatest Hits!
Frankie and Johnny; Sam Cooke
Yeah Man; Sam Cooke; Keep Movin' On
Sympathique; Pink Martini; 130; Sympathique
Tuxedo Junction; Erskine Hawkins; 150; The Original Tuxedo Junction
Kentucky Avenue, A.C.; Duke Ellington Small Bands; 135; The Intimacy of the Blues
Shadrack; Louis Armstrong; 164; Louis and the Good Book
Fly Me to the Moon; Frank Sinatra; 119; My Way: The Best of Frank Sinatra
(another mistake! this version is hard to dance to and not the one i thought i'd dragged into the playlist.) It's Only a Paper Moon; Nat King Cole Trio; 142; The Complete Capitol Recordings
Keepin' Out of Mischief Now; Don Ewell; 129; Man Here Plays Fine Piano!
Hey Spo-Dee-O-Dee; Wild Bill Moore; 160; The Big Horn: The History of the Honkin' & Screamin' Saxophone
Summit Ridge Drive; Artie Shaw and His Gramercy 5; 129; Self Portrait
(request) Bei Mir Bist Du Schön; Janis Siegel; Swing Kids
On Revival Day; LaVern Baker; 142; Precious Memories / LaVern Sings Bessie Smith
Snake Rag; Louis Armstrong; 181; Satchmo Plays King Oliver
West End Blues; Louis Armstrong; 83; Hot Fives & Sevens
(request) Jumpin' at the Woodside; Count Basie; 260; 1944 -- Count Basie and His Orchestra with Artie Shaw, Jimmy Rushing and Thelma Carpenter
Diggin' on James Brown; Tower of Power; Soul Vaccination
Kiss; Prince; The Hits/The B-Sides (Disc 2)

(leave already, people!) Schoolhouse Rocky (Original Theme Music); Bob Dorough & Friends; School House Rock! Rocks
Tiger Rag; Louis Armstrong; 415; In Chicago Aug. 1, 1962
Cavantina (Largo al factotum): La ran la le ra la ran la la; Maria Callas, Luigi Alva, Tito Gobbi, Alceo Galliera, Philharmonia Orchestra & Chorus; Il Barbiere di Siviglia
In the Mood; Glenn Miller; The Fabulous Swing Collection

Haydn

#3 Post by Haydn » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:30 pm

Thanks for posting that. So was your June set more or less successful than your May one? You didn't give as many comments this month, so it's not clear. Also, what do you use for DJing - iTunes?

Toon Town Dave

#4 Post by Toon Town Dave » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:47 pm

Definitely all over the place compared to what I would normally play. It could be that the group (or the scene/venue) is just hard to DJ for and is maybe just used to something that sounds like a music library on random shuffle. If you kept the floor crowded and everyone a chance to dance to what they liked, I'd call it successful.

lipi

#5 Post by lipi » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:51 pm

may was more successful than june in that it flowed better and i enjoyed myself more. everything seemed to click.

this month there happened to be a special party the night i dj'ed (grad night), and lots of people that usually don't come out were there. i don't really know what the non-regulars were expecting, music-wise. the regulars are used to less classic swing and more jump blues and groovy modern things, so when i felt that people weren't really "getting into it" or i felt lots of people were sitting instead of dancing i tried to play some things i would not play normally or very rarely (e.g., "fly me to the moon" or "sympathique"). perhaps that was foolish, because it broke the set up something crazy, but it did get people dancing.

i think i need to work on getting some less-swingy, more-vocally things to play at this place. (o.k., that's a crappy description. i don't really know what i need to look for yet. once i figure it out, i'll ask for suggestions here, no doubt.)

yes, i use itunes for the live playlist and library and vlc for previewing. i have a turtle beach micro hooked up to the sound system and the internal audio jack to my headphones.

CountBasi

#6 Post by CountBasi » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:26 am

How did West End Blues do in terms of dancers... number of them dancing to it, comfort level, etc?
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

lipi

#7 Post by lipi » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:21 pm

CountBasi wrote:How did West End Blues do in terms of dancers... number of them dancing to it, comfort level, etc?
by that time the evening was winding down, and most people had left. i think there were three or four couples dancing to it, which was half the people there at that point. several had their coats on or had alraedy changed their shoes and were chatting or helping eat the remainder of the snacks.

i guess the sample size is too small to say for sure, but it seemed to get most everybody who still wanted to dance dancing. in fact, it got more people up than either "bei mir...", "summit ridge drive", or "snake rag".

lipi

#8 Post by lipi » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:36 pm

last week's playlist. a smaller crowd. i felt like i played more big band and more favourites. there were a lot of announcements breaking up the flow of the night and in the middle we did a speed shim-sham contest which was rather amusing to watch, but broke up the evening even more. near the end, when it had cleared out a lot, i played a lot of fast songs, and they went over fine. perhaps i ought not be so cautious with faster things earlier on. that's something to try next time.

Keepin' out of Mischief Now; 124; Carling Family; 20th Jubilee
My Bucket's Got a Hole in It ; 142; Louis Armstrong; The California Concerts
Joshua Fit de Battle of Jericho; 158; Kid Ory & his Creole Jazz Band; 1944/1946
I Get a Kick out of You; 134; Dinah Washington; The Complete Dinah Washington on Mercury Vol.4 1954-1956
(pregnancy jam) Baby's Boogie Woogie; 165; The Swing Session; The Swing Session
Oomph Fa Fa; 130; Jonathan Stout and his Campus Five; Jammin' the Blues
Bouncin' at the Beacon; 160; Lionel Hampton and his Sextette; The Complete Lionel Hampton Victor Sessions 1937-1941
Switchin' in the Kitchen; 158; Asleep at the Wheel; Asleep at the Wheel
For Dancers Only; 148; Jimmie Lunceford; Rhythm Is Our Business
Bicycle Bounce; 134; Erskine Hawkins; Swinging at the Savoy: the Home of Happy Feet! 1937-45, Jazz Archives #6
Satan Takes a Holiday; 147; Tommy Dorsey; Tommy & Jimmy Dorsey: The Ultimate Collection
Tuxedo Junction; 160; Erskine Hawkins and his Orchestra; The Best of AFRS Jubilee Vol 14: No. 358 & 107
Bli-Blip; 133; Ella Fitzgerald; The Duke Ellington Song Book
All That Meat and No Potatoes; 128; Will Bradley & Ray McKinley; Will Bradley & Ray McKinley: Best of the Big Bands
Everybody Eats When They Come to My House; 154; Cab Calloway; Are You Hep to the Jive?

shim sham contest:
't Ain't What You Do; 160; Jimmie Lunceford; Lunceford Special 1939-40
Flying Home; 197; Lionel Hampton; Lionel Hampton Story 2: Flying Home
Man from Mars; 228; Artie Shaw & His Orchestra; Self Portrait
Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie; 304; Charlie Barnet and his Orchestra; Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie
Tiger Rar; 415; Louis Armstrong; In Chicago Aug. 1, 1962

(birthday jam) Bits and Pieces; 149; Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown; Gate Swings
Easy Does It; 145; Count Basie; America's #1 Band!: The Columbia Years
Now You Has Jazz; 168; Louis Armstrong; Mack the Knife
Jazz Me Blues; 176; Sidney Bechet and his Blue Note Jazzmen; Complete 1939-1951 Blue Note Master Takes
The Heebie Jeebies Are Rockin' the Town; 137; Lionel Hampton; The Complete Lionel Hampton Victor Sessions 1937-1941
Streamliner; 155; Bill Elliott; Introducing Dorothy Dandridge (TV Movie Soundtrack)
Out West; 168; The Swing Session; The Swing Session
Trippin Along; 120; Barry Big B Brenner; Blues, Rags & Stomps!
Froggy Bottom; 152; Jimmy Witherspoon with Jay McShann and His Band; Goin' to Kansas City Blues
Good Rockin' Tonight; 152; Curley Bridges; Keys To The Blues
Chain Gang; ; Sam Cooke; The Best of Sam Cooke
The Love You Save; ; The Jackson 5; The Best of Motown 1970s
Think; ; Aretha Franklin; Queen of Soul: The Atlantic Recordings
Sˆderhamn Blues; 156; Jan Johansson; Blues
Splanky; 156; Count Basie; Count Basie: Live at the Sands
Here We Go Again; 166; Glenn Miller; The Lost Recordings
Sneaky Pete; 130; Bull Moose Jackson; Bad Man Jackson
I'll Chase the Blues Away; 167; Ella Fitzgerald; Ella Fitzgerald --The Early Years -- Part 1
Four or Five Times; 190; The Loose Marbles;
Miss Brown to You; 161; Billie Holiday; Complete Columbia Golden Years Recordings
Sweet Georgia Brown; 196; Eddie South; Django Reinhardt & His American Friends: Complete Sessions
Love Me or Leave Me; 160; Nina Simone; Four Women: The Nina Simone Philips Recordings
Lindyhopper's Delight; 195; Chick Webb; Strictly Jive
Ain't She Sweet; 144; Jimmie Lunceford; Lunceford Special 1939-40
I've Found a New Baby; 217; Frank "Big Boy" Goudie; Django Reinhardt: The Classic Early Recordings
Mama Don't Allow It; 233; Julia Lee; Julia Lee: That's What I Like (Proper Introduction)
Swing This; 210; The Hot Club of San Francisco; Swing This
My Handy Man Ain't Handy No More; ; Alberta Hunter; Amtrak Blues
Hit the Road Jack (Peña Estrada); ; Mo' Horizons; Remember Tomorrow

Toon Town Dave

#9 Post by Toon Town Dave » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:50 pm

5 tunes for the Shim Sham is a wee bit much mid-evening. Historically I've found the obligatory line dance break mid evening becomes the marker for the early birds to go home, usually sneaking out during.

Now, I try to reserve the line dances as a tool when too many people are on the side-lines engaged in conversations instead of dancing. It interrupts the conversations and people usually are back to partner dancing right after. I've seen the same thing happen after birthday jams at our Tuesday night dance.

Other than the long interruption, looks like a decent set.

lipi

#10 Post by lipi » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:54 pm

Toon Town Dave wrote:5 tunes for the Shim Sham is a wee bit much mid-evening.
yeah, you're quite right. i should have mentioned that a) i had no say in when this happened (or that it happened at all)--i just got to pick the music and b) we didn't play the whole songs--just enough of each to get people twice through, without partner dancing at the end. that's still a lot, of course. i wish we could have done it much later in the night, but this is traditionally a place where people leave fairly early.

amusing side note: one guy did the dean collins shim sham, which messed all the other contestants up something marvelous.

jflanger

Previewing

#11 Post by jflanger » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:29 am

Proto--
Instead of VLC, you might be interested in using a nifty little Mac program called DJay. Let me know if you want it--it even does live slowdowns without changing pitch!

jflanger

Playlists

#12 Post by jflanger » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:23 am

Also, I'm flattered that you'd want to see my playlists! Let me post July's, as well as some commentary on how I think about my playlists.

General thoughts:
1. I arrange my songs by feel rather than tempo, hence the weird tagging on these songs. Alas, I don't have album information for them.
2. I arrange my sets to have regular ebb and flow, with assumptions on when people would normally get tired and need something slower. So...I build up to fast songs and then usually play something slow but energetic afterwards to keep people engaged while they catch their breath.
3. I'm just as scared about the 10:30pm mass exodus as you are! The less people, the less I play to the crowd, and start bustin' out stuff I think will be fun.
4. I usually emulate Trevor when I'm DJing. :)
5. I lock into big band, big dynamic stuff with lots of breaks (tagged as "dynamic"), mostly because that's what I love dancing myself.
6. I usually prep a library of songs and a rough order beforehand, and then mostly adjust song order or throw stuff out over the course of the dance. Saves me cognitive effort during the dance, because I've heard everything I've thrown into the mix just a few hours before. Plus, if something particular comes to mind, I can always just dig into my library and grab it. :) I basically comb my library for stuff I haven't heard recently or think would go over well, and throw 'em all into the prospective playlist. Usually end up playing about 80% of the stuff I throw in.

Preceding lesson:
Slow-ish, got asked to switch up and not start too fast. So I went for something nice and easy, but still enough of a tease to let people know more's coming. Kept tempo around the same regular sweet spot range to get people comfortable.

Regular Joe (live) The Bill Elliott Swing Orchestra [swing] [lindy] [mellow]
[Faster] Corner Pocket Somers Dream Orchestra [swing] [lindy] [peppy]
Solid as a rock Ella Fitzgerald [swing] [lindy] [smooth]
Splanky (At The Sands) Count Basie [swing] [lindy] [dynamic]
All the Cats Join In George Gee [swing] [lindy] [peppy] <- The peak for this cycle. Cooldown song afterwards
If I Were a Bell (cross-step interlude) Dinah Washington [swing] [lindy] [peppy] [cross-step]

Welcoming words for the dance

Moondance Michael Buble [swing] [lindy] [dynamic] <-Energetic but midtempo song to start the next set
Moppin and Boppin [start at 0:33] Fats Waller [swing] [lindy] [peppy] <- More classic, but it has such good breaks that it makes up for the steady unwavering beat underneath.
Harlem Air Shaft Duke Ellington [swing] [lindy] [smooth] <-not much of a beat, but I eased into it with the steadiness of the previous song.

Till Tom Special Peter Davis [swing] [lindy] [dynamic] <- More of a smooth song, but keeps with the current feel
In the Mood (Chicken Cluck Version) [swing] [lindy] [mellow] <-By request. Timed it to come in the middle of the smooth set rather than kick it off :D
Christopher Columbus Dinah Washington [swing] [lindy] [dynamic] <- Ok, break from the smooth phase and go heavy with beats again
Stormy Monday Barbara Morrison [swing] [lindy] [peppy]
Take The A Train Duke Ellington Orchestra & Count Basie Orchestra [swing] [lindy] [smooth]
Grace Kelly (faster) MIKa [swing] [lindy] [50s] <-Quirky song. Heavy beat, though, and since the birthday jam was coming up anyway, I figured it'd be a reasonable gamble.
[pure silence]
Surrey with the Fringe on Top Mary Stallings [swing] [lindy] [smooth] <- Birthday jam!
Stompin' At The Savoy (Shim Sham) George Gee MBBO; Manning, Frankie [swing] [shim-sham]
[pure silence]
Globe Trotter Johnny Hodges [swing] [lindy] [peppy] <-Nice and energetic to start off. Classic-ish, but again, lots of stuff to play with
Five O'Clock Whistle Duke Ellington [swing] [lindy] [mellow]
Drop Me Off in Harlem Duke Ellington [swing] [lindy] [smooth]
Boilermaker Jazz Band / Minor Swing Boilermaker Jazz band [swing] [lindy] [peppy] <- Peak. Cooldown song afterwards.
I Love Being Here With You Denise Decaro [swing] [lindy] [mellow]
Blues In Hossflat Count Basie [swing] [lindy] [peppy]
Nicole Howard Mcghee [swing] [lindy] [peppy]
Oo Pappa Doo Lavay Smith and her Red Hot Skillet Lickers [swing] [lindy] [dynamic] <- Next buildup. Livelier than the preceding two
For Dancers Only Billy May [swing] [lindy] [dynamic]
Flying Home Lionel Hampton [swing] [lindy] [peppy] [shim-sham] <-peak. Kind of bombed.
Harry James and his Orchestra / Two O'Clock Jump Various [swing] [lindy] [dynamic] <- Trusty midtempo lively song to keep people engaged
Clementine Duke Ellington [swing] [lindy] [vintage]
Kansas City Riffs Buster Smith [swing] [lindy] [dynamic]
Smack Dab in the Middle Count Basie [swing] [lindy] [dynamic]
It's Only a Paper Moon Ella Fitzgerald [swing] [lindy] [mellow]
Posin' Jimmie Lunceford [swing] [lindy] [dynamic]
Love Me or Leave Me Sammy Davis Jr [swing] [lindy] [dynamic]
And Her Tears Flowed Like Wine Stan Kenton & His Orchestra [swing] [lindy] [dynamic]
Straighten Up And Fly Right Nat King Cole [swing] [lindy] [dynamic]
Blues for Stephanie (live) George Gee [swing] [lindy] [dynamic]
Too Close For Comfort Frank Sinatra [swing] [lindy] [smooth]
Bei Mir Bist Du Schon Swing Kids [swing] [lindy] [dynamic]
Lollipop (mp3) Mika [swing] [lindy] [50s] <- Totally just messin' with the crowd. Charleston clownin'.
Plenty Guru [swing] [groove]
Perdido Duke Ellington [swing] [lindy] [mellow]
A Viper's Moan Mora's Modern Rhythmists [swing] [lindy] [dynamic]
Illiterate City (Jackson 5 vs. Guns N' Roses) Bootie <-Closer.

(Reserves)
Magic Count Basie [swing] [lindy] [peppy]
Sent for You Yesterday Count Basie [swing] [lindy] [peppy]
My Baby Just Cares For Me Kim Nalley [swing] [lindy] [smooth]
Moten Swing Elliot Lawrence [swing] [lindy] [smooth]
Swing Brother Swing Swing! Soundtrack [swing] [lindy] [dynamic]
[Groove] Flying Home Lionel Hampton [swing] [groove]

lipi

Re: Previewing

#13 Post by lipi » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:30 pm

thanks for posting your playlist, jason. it's very helpful to me to see how others think about the exact same venue. you certainly have your music categorised more than i do. i rely on memory and previewing for the feel of most tracks. i've considered making custom playlists that hold certain type songs. maybe i'll do that this month.
jflanger wrote:Proto--
Instead of VLC, you might be interested in using a nifty little Mac program called DJay. Let me know if you want it--it even does live slowdowns without changing pitch!
i actually tried the free trial of djay 2.0. i think that's the one with the two turntables at the top of the playlists, right? i didn't like the interface, so i went back to itunes + vlc. :o)

lipi

#14 Post by lipi » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:00 pm

I haven't posted one of these in a while. Yesterday was a very slow night (both in number of people at the dance, and in the tempi they were interested in dancing).

No one commented on the many Sunny Sides.

My Bucket's Got a Hole in It ; Jim Robinson's Band; The Atlantic New Orleans Jazz Sessions; 127
Dr. Jazz; Louis Armstrong; Satchmo Plays King Oliver; 147
The Apple Jump; Count Basie and His Orchestra; Classic Columbia, Okeh and Vocalion Lester Young with Count Basie (1936-1940); 176
On the Sunny Side of the Street; Ella Fitzgerald & The Duke Ellington Orchestra; The Concert Years; 127
Kansas City; Jay McShann; Confessin the Blues; 140
My Blue Heaven; Sammy Price; Boogie & jazz classics (Bern, Switzerland 1975); 172
Shout, Sister, Shout; Lucky Millinder; Apollo Jump ; 141
Tippin' In; Erskine Hawkins; The Original Tuxedo Junction; 145
Who Ya Hunchin' ; Chick Webb & His Orchestra; Chrono Classics: Complementary Tracks; 178
D.A. Blues (District Attorney); Eddie Condon; The Town Hall Concerts, Volume 8; 133
Smooth Sailin'; Ella Fitzgerald and her Quartet; J.A.T.P. in Tokyo 1953; 132
Easy Does It; Count Basie and His Orchestra; Classic Columbia, Okeh and Vocalion Lester Young with Count Basie (1936-1940); 149
Flying Home; Benny Goodman Sextet; The Genius of the Electric Guitar; 167
Minor Riff; Fletcher Henderson & His Orchestra; Chrono Classics: Complementary Tracks; 171
Jump Through the Window; Roy Eldridge & His Orchestra; Roy Eldridge: Little Jazz Trumpet Giant, Disc 2: The Gasser; 151
On the Sunny Side of the Street; The Dizzy Gillespie Sextet; The Champ; 137
Swing, Brother, Swing (live); Billie Holiday; Complete Columbia Golden Years Recordings; 154
Banana Split for My Baby; Louis Prima; The Capitol Recordings; 137
Boogie Woogie on St. Louis Blues; Earl Hines and His Orchestra; Piano Man: 1928-1955; 138
Keep the Rhythm Going; Mills Blue Rhythm Band; Mills Blue Rhythm Band: 1933-1936; 173
Blues in the Groove; Jan Savitt; An Anthology of Big Band Swing 1930-1955; 190
On the Sunny Side of the Street; Nellie Lutcher; Nellie Lutcher and Her Rhythm; 157
There'll Be a Jubilee; Dinah Washington; The Complete Dinah Washington on Mercury Vol.4 1954-1956; 162
Love for Sale (-4); Sidney Bechet Quartet; Mosaic Select 22: Sidney Bechet; 102
B-Sharp Boston; Duke Ellington; Duke Ellington et son orchestre: 1949-1950; 128
School Days; Dizzy Gillespie Quintet; School Days; 144
Oo-Shoo-Be-Doo-Be; The Dizzy Gillespie Quintet; The Champ; 145
Then You're Drunk; Jimmie Noone Trio; Complete Recordings; 140
Loch Lomond; Wingy Manone and his Orchestra; Classic Chu Berry Columbia and Victor Sessions; 153
Birk's Works; The Dizzy Gillespie Sextet; The Champ; 142
Mr. Ghost Goes to Town; Hudson - DeLange Orchestra; Swing Time! The Fabulous Big Band Era 1925 - 1955; 160
Queen Isabelle; Cab Calloway & his Orchestra; The Chronological Cab Calloway, Volume 2 (1935-1940); 183
I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate; Wingy Manone's Dixieland Band; Classic Capitol Jazz Sessions; 167
Look Out; Slim Gaillard and His Flat Foot Floogie Boys; Complete Columbia Master Takes; 199
The Back Room Romp (A Contrapuntal Stomp); Rex Stewart and His 52nd Street Stompers; Duke Ellington: The Complete 1936-1940 Variety, Vocalion and Okeh Small Group Sessions; 151
Cole Slaw; Jesse Stone; Original Swingers; 144
Church; Lyle Lovett; Joshua Judges Ruth;
On the Sunny Side of the Street; Billie Holiday; The Complete Commodore Recordings; 122
The Mooche; Duke Ellington; The OKeh Ellington; 123
It's Only a Shanty in Old Shanty Town; Edmond Hall; 1941-1957; 152
It Don't Mean a Thing (if It Ain't Got That Swing); Duke Ellington & His Orchestra; The Duke: The Columbia Years (1927-1962) ;
Imagination; Bennie Moten's Kansas City Orchestra; Band Box Shuffle; 129
Tutti Frutti; Joe Daniels; Drummer Goes to Town; 183

anton

#15 Post by anton » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:56 am

lipi wrote:I haven't posted one of these in a while. Yesterday was a very slow night (both in number of people at the dance, and in the tempi they were interested in dancing).
Thanks - it's always nice to see what other people play!
lipi wrote:No one commented on the many Sunny Sides.
I'm not surprised. Last week I accidentally played 'My Blue Heaven' by Artie Shaw and his Gramercy Five twice during the evening, but nobody seemed to notice!