DJ Summit in Philly: Sun, June 3rd

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Greg Avakian

DJ Summit in Philly: Sun, June 3rd

#1 Post by Greg Avakian » Sun May 27, 2007 9:28 pm

Greetings DJ Brethren (and Sistren)!
Want to spend some 'music time' with other DJs who are experienced spinning at dances, exchanges, competitions and other Swing/Blues events?

Come join PLLX DJs Jesse Miner, Rayned Wiles, David Jacoby, Greg Avakian, and Isaac Mognet as we co-host a session for DJs about improving and broadening sets, music collections and skills as a DJ.

This is meant to be a forum where we can all talk about swing, blues, gospel, trios, orchestras, pianos, saxophones, clapping hands, vintage music, groove music, cross-over music, putting together sets, flow, contrast, transition and whatever else you want to bring to the table.

Bring your laptop or your CDs and be ready to have a good time talking about your music or listening to other people talk about theirs. Turn us all on to some new sounds or find out what other DJs are playing in their scenes.

The Summit is open to *ALL* DJs whether you are a newbie or a pro, but since this is our first time doing this together, we'd really like for you to be a DJ to attend. This is a chance for us to do what we all like to do, but we never get time to do all together ...hang out and talk about Spinning for dancers!

We will host the summit Sunday afternoon on June 3rd from 3:00-6:00 at Alex and Jamie's place during the Philadelphia Lindy Exchange, so come for the exchange too and spend the whole weekend with us. A&J's apartment is a quick walk from the Sunday afternoon dance at the Art Museum.

We'd like this to be as "leaderless" as possible, but those of us who have had experience doing DJ summits will keep the conversation focused.

Post here or shoot me an e-mail and I will add you to the list of participants. We've had interest from several states, so this should be fun!

Peace,
Greg Avakian
www.geocities.com/SwingboyPA
SwingDJ@Gmail.com
215*913*7794
Hey, my e-mail's changed, here's the new one:
SwingDJ@gmail.com
About me: www.geocities.com/swingboypa

Lawrence

#2 Post by Lawrence » Mon May 28, 2007 10:49 pm

Nothing like getting a little advance notice. 8)

I had planned to do a cycling century around Lake Tahoe this weekend (paid the registration fee and bought airline tickets), for which I have trained for about three months, but I'll cancel and come to Philly, instead. Save a seat for me, and please don't start without me. :wink:
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Greg Avakian

#3 Post by Greg Avakian » Mon May 28, 2007 11:01 pm

Sorry about the late notice. I seriously thought this would be mostly local (NYC-DC) ...but I have gotten emails from Canada and California.
Hey, my e-mail's changed, here's the new one:
SwingDJ@gmail.com
About me: www.geocities.com/swingboypa

Lawrence

#4 Post by Lawrence » Mon May 28, 2007 11:11 pm

I was kidding. At least you broadcasted it for those who could go. 8)
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com