Set starters - what works and why?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Haydn

Set starters - what works and why?

#1 Post by Haydn » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:50 am

I couldn't find another thread on this. I think the first song you play in a DJ set is important. I am trying to work out what works and why.

Some questions are:
  • • What Tempo/BPM?
    • Length of song?
    • A well-known or little-known track?
    • A song that has a dynamic start or one that starts quietly and gradually builds?
Can you give examples of songs you have started with, or heard other DJs start with - what worked and what didn't work? What is it that makes some songs works and others not?

Lawrence

#2 Post by Lawrence » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:45 pm

Like many of these questions, it all depends on the situation. And I'm not just copping out on answering.

If I am the first DJ of the night and the venue is empty and I am playing as people slowly arrive, I'm not going to start with a bang with my best stuff as I would if the venue was full and ready to go. I'll wait until a critical mass arrives to kick it up a notch.

If I am the last DJ and the other DJs have already worn the crowd out with hyperactive fast stuff, I'll play something easier and slower to keep the crowd moving while they recharge.

If I am following a DJ that put the crowd to sleep or a DJ that played mostly novelty crap, I'll start with one of my best songs with a punchy opening to announce the change.

If I am following a DJ who has really set the vibe and mood fantastically and has everyone smiling and dancing, I'll try to transition smoothly and play something rather similar.

If I am DJing a vintage crowd, I would pick a vintage song. If a crowd with more modern tastes, I might even start with Robert Cray.

If it is a daytime outdoor dance, I'll be more likely to play up-beat Jump Blues. If it is a late-night, softer venue, I wouldn't play Jump Blues except in an emergency, and I'll start with some mainstream small group jazz.

If it is a big venue with sprawling space, I'll probably start with an explosive, hi-fi, Duke Ellington Big Band song necessary to fill the room with sound and take advantage of the acoustics. If it is a small, intimate room, I might start with Corner Pocket (Solomon's band, not the song)
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Haydn

#3 Post by Haydn » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:25 am

OK - let's take a specific example.

It's a regular DJ-d social dance on a weekday evening at 9pm after a class. You're the DJ for the night. There's a mix of beginners and advanced dancers.

What sort of song would you start with. What would work and what wouldn't?

fredo

#4 Post by fredo » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:55 am

Haydn wrote:What would work and what wouldn't?
Pushing the "Shuffle" button and forgetting your music, respectively.

*I understand what you are really asking for, but I find that as long as I start with something I would want to dance to with the people at that dance, then it's all good.*

kitkat

#5 Post by kitkat » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:43 am

fredo wrote:as long as I start with something I would want to dance to with the people at that dance, then it's all good.*
BINGO. That's one of the ways I pick back up a dying set, too. If I'm tormented that I can't get out on the floor because my songs are matching the way I love to dance with people out on the floor (but I'm too busy in the booth to do so), I usually happen to be doing a great job right then, too.

djstarr

#6 Post by djstarr » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:09 pm

Haydn wrote:OK - let's take a specific example.

It's a regular DJ-d social dance on a weekday evening at 9pm after a class. You're the DJ for the night. There's a mix of beginners and advanced dancers.

What sort of song would you start with. What would work and what wouldn't?
I will actually answer your question ;-) Our Sunday night dance here in Seattle is very similar; mostly beginners, but there are some advanced dancers at the start of the dance and they drift in through the first hour.

I will play mid-tempo strong beat songs for the first 30 minutes to get everybody up and moving. Favorites are Opus One (Anita O'Day/Gene Krupa), Goody Goody (Ella Fitzgerald), One O'Clock Jump (Count Basie), It's DeLovely (Boilermakers).

I've found anything too complicated [either bad sound, too slow, too fast, tempo changes somewhere, long intro, etc.] doesn't work that well in the first 10 songs or so of a set.

Greg Avakian

#7 Post by Greg Avakian » Thu May 03, 2007 7:54 pm

I think the advice thus far is very good so I'll just add this...

If you're the first DJ after a class:
Whip out the stop watch that you keep in your DJ bag and get the BPM of the last song that the class danced to -or the teacher's count if they don't have music. The first song should be an upbeat feeling song at that tempo. I'll slighty increase the tempo for next two songs and come back to the 'end of class' tempo for those who are still unsure of themselves. Nothing will revert a budding Lindy Hopper back to East Coast Swing faster than a a song s/he can't triple step to.
I've had many, many students mention to me that I was the first teacher they had who actually played music at the tempo of the lesson.

I like something with a clear rhythm, well-recorded and not organ, flute or vibe based (Yes, I have seen DJs start with a flute tune!). I want to want to snap my fingers and tap my toes.
Hey, my e-mail's changed, here's the new one:
SwingDJ@gmail.com
About me: www.geocities.com/swingboypa

kitkat

#8 Post by kitkat » Fri May 04, 2007 10:09 am

Greg Avakian wrote:I think the advice thus far is very good so I'll just add this...

If you're the first DJ after a class:
Whip out the stop watch that you keep in your DJ bag and get the BPM of the last song that the class danced to -or the teacher's count if they don't have music. The first song should be an upbeat feeling song at that tempo. I'll slighty increase the tempo for next two songs and come back to the 'end of class' tempo for those who are still unsure of themselves.
I do the same thing! Good to know someone else thinks that's a successful approach, too.

I'll add that in addition to "upbeat feeling," I try to make my higher-tempo songs that I'm playing between those "class-tempo" numbers songs that the general public recognizes. If I'm really afraid that the type of students still around for the dance might not totally dig my music for the rest of the set, this is one of the points at which I whip out "In the Mood" (everyone), "Boogie-Woogie Bugle Boy" (older folks), "Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen" (college students), etc.

(If there are already experienced lindy hoppers ready to dance, I'll make sure I play versions of those songs that they won't 100% groan at but will only 50% groan at. Usually, they're not there yet, though, so I don't have to worry about getting a bad reputation with them.

If they are there--for instance, it's Midwest Lindyfest but there was a beginner's lesson--I play the most recognizeable songs I can find in my usual / their usual canon. "Shout, Sister, Shout" and "Honeysuckle Rose" and "Ain't Misbehavin," for example.)

Mr Awesomer

#9 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri May 04, 2007 10:37 am

Greg Avakian wrote:Whip out the stop watch that you keep in your DJ bag and get the BPM of the last song that the class danced to -or the teacher's count if they don't have music.
You need a stop watch to tempo match? Newb! :D
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Greg Avakian

#10 Post by Greg Avakian » Sat May 05, 2007 12:16 pm

GuruReuben wrote:
Greg Avakian wrote:Whip out the stop watch that you keep in your DJ bag and get the BPM of the last song that the class danced to -or the teacher's count if they don't have music.
You need a stop watch to tempo match? Newb! :D
Hehehe.

Seriously though; it's surprising how many DJs, teachers and musicians insist that they know where the tempo is in a song -until you force them to check.
SwingDJ@gmail.com

Haydn

#11 Post by Haydn » Sun May 06, 2007 1:49 pm

Greg Avakian wrote:If you're the first DJ after a class:
Whip out the stop watch that you keep in your DJ bag and get the BPM of the last song that the class danced to -or the teacher's count if they don't have music. The first song should be an upbeat feeling song at that tempo. I'll slighty increase the tempo for next two songs and come back to the 'end of class' tempo for those who are still unsure of themselves.I like something with a clear rhythm
What about starting with one of the mid-tempo songs used in the class?

Greg Avakian

#12 Post by Greg Avakian » Sun May 06, 2007 3:04 pm

I'd say 'no'; unless the teacher just didn't get very far with it (lousy teacher), then maybe it could be fun.

But my basic strategy is to bust the balls of the teacher by playing better music then they did (if possible). It makes me really happy when the energy level goes up when I DJ. I'm not trying to be arrogant by saying this, but some teachers/bands/DJs need inspiration and a "competitive" attitude keeps everyone on their toes.

Of course this is my strategy for sucky bands too. :)

I basically try to stay aware of what's going on around me and get a feel for what happened in the class. For example, there's a teacher who hires me to DJ her dance and she has an elaborate means of partnering everyone up where they get in lines and walk in a circle to find their partner. During this process, I play something that has to do with walking (like "I'm walkin'") -it just makes people smile if they are paying attention. The first time I did this the teacher looked up in surprise and made a point to introduce me as her "new favorite DJ".
SwingDJ@gmail.com