Changing the pace from fast to slow

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Haydn

Changing the pace from fast to slow

#1 Post by Haydn » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:48 pm

It seems natural to start a DJ set at a slow-ish tempo and gradually build to a fast one over several numbers. I've tried this and it seems to work.

But what about changing from a fast tempo to a slow one? How do you do that?

JesseMiner

#2 Post by JesseMiner » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:05 pm

In general, after I have played several increasingly faster numbers, I will drastically decrease the tempo. I equate the increasing tempo with building tension, and the drastic change to a slower tempo that follows is a pleasurable release of that tension.

For example, I might play the following songs in a row:

Sent For You Yesterday - Jimmy Witherspoon (177 bpm)
Jubilee Swing - Chick Webb Orchestra (185 bpm)
Gang Busters - Cats & The Fiddle (195 bpm)
Blues In The Groove - Jimmie Lunceford (215 bpm)
Lullaby Of Birdland - Ella Fitzgerald (134 bpm)

Gradually decreasing the tempo has its place as well, but be careful to not do so too slowly. Your crowd might complain that you are playing too many fast songs in a row (okay, so maybe this doesn't happen in Reuben's crowd), even though that technically is not the case.

Jesse

GemZombie

#3 Post by GemZombie » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:50 pm

This Jesse agrees with the other Jesse.

Sometimes a gradual incline or decline in speed is in order, but sometimes a quick change is necessary. I completely agree with Jesse's example... I'm not a fan of the gradual decline in most cases.

Campus Five

#4 Post by Campus Five » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:34 pm

I remember distinctly dancing to some band years ago, and hearing people complain when they would follow the hot numbers with a total slow down. I remember it really killing the energy. I try not to over-shock crowds when I play by following hot tunes with really slow tunes, even though it seems like the natural response. I guess I endorse the quick change so long as its not sub 120 or so. Going from 200+ to below 120 seems like it would be too much. I think I would want to get a good 150bpm, but still high energy tune before going slow.
"I don''t dig that two beat jive the New Orleans cats play.
My boys and I have four heavy beats to the bar and no cheating!
--Count Basie
www.campusfive.com
www.myspace.com/campusfive
www.swingguitar.blogspot.com

GemZombie

#5 Post by GemZombie » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:45 pm

that is the key... if you follow with something that has no energy, you fail. there are slower tunes that have great energy. i also agree that going from 200+ to sub 130 is usually too much of a shock.

Toon Town Dave

#6 Post by Toon Town Dave » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:09 pm

Indeed, the energy makes a huge difference. A slow ballad sandwiched between to swing anthems is a disaster.

I've done the abrupt increase in tempo just to create energy and to set up the next recording so it doesn't sound so fast. 180 bpm after a 120 might seem fast but 190 after a 240 doesn't seem so fast. Sure there may be only a couple couples dancing but it quickly gets the tempo and energy. A gradual build might take 4 or 5 songs and be less exciting.

As far as starting a set it depends if I'm first off on the night or if I'm following another DJ.

If I'm first off when the dancers are starting cold, I'll usually start slow and build tempo slowly.

If I'm following another DJ, sometimes I'll keep the same groove for a few tunes, sometimes I'll change it up right away. I usually think of where I want to go style-wise and find a bridge to link the two.

I've only followed a band once, I just found a great tune that has about half way between what the band was playing and where I wanted to take my set. It worked well, kept people out on the floor.

I've done band breaks a couple of times for a local big band. I try to play stuff that fills in the blanks for tempo and style.

Lawrence

#7 Post by Lawrence » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:56 pm

JesseMiner wrote:In general, after I have played several increasingly faster numbers, I will drastically decrease the tempo. I equate the increasing tempo with building tension, and the drastic change to a slower tempo that follows is a pleasurable release of that tension.

Gradually decreasing the tempo has its place as well, but be careful to not do so too slowly. Your crowd might complain that you are playing too many fast songs in a row (okay, so maybe this doesn't happen in Reuben's crowd), even though that technically is not the case.
I used to scale up and down, but have found that it generally does not work well because it exhausts the crowd.

I liken it to workouts where you do interval sprints. After scaling up in energy to your peak, you just don't have the energy to scale down again once you reach your peak of high energy; otherwise, you really didn't reach your peak. Much better to calm down and re-build to the peak, again.

I could make another example of the lack of post-peaking energy, but you probably get the point. 8)

I also suddenly interject a peak, then play mid-tempo to "scale down." As with everything, tempo should not necessarily be the sole criteria of what you play and when you play it.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

JesseMiner

#8 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:34 pm

Campus Five wrote:I remember distinctly dancing to some band years ago, and hearing people complain when they would follow the hot numbers with a total slow down. I remember it really killing the energy.
I find the problem you mention comes from when a band spend a majority of their performance outside of the dancers' comfort range tempo-wise, mostly switching between the very fast tunes and the slow ballads. Dancers can become quite frustrated when they feel like they are struggling all evening and not getting enough tunes that really make them feel great on the dance floor. That's more of the problem than one particular drastic tempo change.

Jesse

Toon Town Dave

#9 Post by Toon Town Dave » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:17 pm

I'm not sure that I agree that it's switching out of the comfort zones. I've danced to a couple of very good bands that seemed to only have fast or slow and nothing in between. The fast and slow were both well within my comfort range. Either I dance to a bunch of fast ones and then I'm tired and need a drink/break by the time they slow it down or I'm in slow mode and it takes a tune or two to mentally get back into fast mode.

Matthew

#10 Post by Matthew » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:34 pm

<obvious-but-worth-noting>Keep in mind songs that slow down and/or mellow out between the beginning and end. Some older ones do that. I don't remember exactly which ones, but I think there are some early Basie and maybe Bennie Moten. Erskine Hawkins's songs actually do the opposite very often. They'll start off with a light energy, then build up throughout the song. Django's often increase in tempo. That's why I like to check BPM at different points in a song; you can learn about the bands that way.

Also, the pauses between songs are great for helping the dancers know where you want to take them. Often, leaving little or no space is a great way to build energy. Waiting a moment or two between songs, while playing progressively slower songs, can help people understand that you're slowing things down, and in my mind, involves thinking more like a DJ, and less like somebody who's just playing music. I wouldn't slow things down over more than two or three songs, though.

That said, always playing things back-to-back, with little or no space, can help people feel that the party's always progressing, even when the music slows down. One DJ (Paul) in our scene does this, and I love it.</obvious-but-worth-noting>

Haydn

#11 Post by Haydn » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:14 am

I like the idea of using a high-energy slower track.

kitkat

#12 Post by kitkat » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:52 am

Matthew wrote:<obvious-but-worth-noting>Keep in mind songs that slow down and/or mellow out between the beginning and end. Some older ones do that. I don't remember exactly which ones, but I think there are some early Basie and maybe Bennie Moten. Erskine Hawkins's songs actually do the opposite very often. They'll start off with a light energy, then build up throughout the song.
I HATE that about "Jumpin' at the Woodside!" Every time I hear it start up, I think, "Oh, I love this song!" only to be disappointed as it continues on. Ugh.

djstarr

Re: Changing the pace from fast to slow

#13 Post by djstarr » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:46 pm

Haydn wrote:But what about changing from a fast tempo to a slow one? How do you do that?
I often will do the same as listed above, play a slower tempo (120 - 140 bpm) song after a string of fast songs; people like the obvious tempo break [like yeah, I get to go drink water now, and the folks who didn't want to dance that fast are like, good, I can dance].

But another little trick that I like is to play a song that is fast but then has a half-time [or even quarter-time] ending; the one that immediately comes to mind is "After You've Gone", I have a version by George Wettling [part of the Condon Mob] that is at 250 bpm for most of the song then has a nice slow ending the last 10 seconds. Great way to transition to playing another slow song after it.

There are also plenty of songs that start slow then double time after the first little bit, like Darktown Strutter's Ball or Honeysuckle Rose on Satch Plays Fats.