Good place to shop in LA (Los Angeles)

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

kitkat

#16 Post by kitkat » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:45 pm

djstarr wrote:You don't really get the full LA experience unless you are driving. :P
It's not an experience I want in full. I got just the right amount (enough to have a good idea what the "full experience" would be like if I chose to have it but no more than I really wanted after seeing what it was!) by being driven around some and hiking/busing/subwaying some that Binge. :-Þ

zzzzoom

#17 Post by zzzzoom » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:26 pm

I guess I'll start saving money now. I'll be in L.A. in September . . . :)

russell

#18 Post by russell » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:36 am

Thanks for all the tips. Looks like I can keep myself busy.
I am a little reticent about driving in LA when I haven't driven on the other side of the road (Australia is on the left hand side like England).
The Pasadena market sounds interesting as well.

julius

#19 Post by julius » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:25 pm

To be honest, I never shop anywhere except Amoeba and Louisiana Music Factory (which is in New Orleans). The jazz section in Amoeba is so incredibly well-stocked (both used and new) that I always walk away with enough music to tide me over until the next time I happen to be in the neighborhood. They don't always have what I'm looking for, but they usually have something I wasn't looking for.

Haven't been to Canterbury in forever, I should try again.

I have also heard that Aron's has an extensive collection of used music, but I don't know if that extends to jazz and I have never been there. Mental note: go sometime.

http://www.scaruffi.com/music/usedrec.html#la

No idea how up-to-date that link is.

julius

#20 Post by julius » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:26 pm

Swifty wrote:You can get the Regis CD at Amoeba Hollywood for a steal.
I was bummed that you didn't have your DJ'ing laptop with you in New Orleans. Regis would have been making a guest appearance in some of your next few DJ sets.

russell

#21 Post by russell » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:02 pm

Writing this from a cafe in downtown LA. I made it out to Amoeba yesterday. Thanks for the directions Rueben. I picked up the Mosaic Select Sidney Bechet which looks great and a Fats Waller boxset plus a couple of others. As my collection gets bigger it is a law of diminishing returns as it gets harder to find the material I am looking for.
Enjoying our time in LA. Stopping at the Biltmore has been great - lots of history and great art deco feel. Went to the Cicada Club on SUnday night with Dean Mora orchestra playing. Great venue and band but not so much room to dance. Going to a Lakers game tonight to get the full LA experience. :?