Playing non-dance gigs

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Haydn

Playing non-dance gigs

#1 Post by Haydn » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:46 am

There's a cafe near me where they like to put on different music and arts events in the evenings, so I thought about playing some 30s music there. I rang them today and they sounded keen - they asked me to send in a CD with the sort of music I would like to play. If all goes well, I'll do it one evening in May. They provide the sound equipment, I provide CD deck/mixer and/or laptop with music, and play for 2-3 hours. I guess it would be billed as a 'Vintage sounds' evening, or something like that. It's not licensed for dancing, so I'd play slower stuff and I wouldn't worry about the dance factor. They pay a small amount as well. And it will give me a chance to present some of my favourite stuff to a new audience (I might tell a few dance friends about it, but it wouldn't be a dance night).

Maxine Sullivan's Drink to Me Only With Thine Eyes is the sort of thing I am thinking of playing. I think it's got the right vibe for this cafe in the evening.

So has anyone else done this, or looked into it? I there a new market for well-presented vintage music?

kitkat

#2 Post by kitkat » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:58 am

Herräng Dance Camp staff do it!

In Bar Bedlam, the bar downstairs, there's always music playing that 60% of the time makes me wish I had space and a partner to dance but of which only a small fraction would actually go over well in a room full of dancers (too fast too many times in a row, too tinny, too weird in other ways, etc.)

Another 35% of the music is really awesome stuff of the type that I always label "Listen" when I catalogue my music, which is shorthand for, "This is unforgettably addictive, great music to listen to, even if it's horrid to try to dance to at a dance."

The last 5% I could take or leave--it sounds like the forgettable songs I sometimes hear on old-timey radio shows or muzak streams.

I don't know who's usually responsible for the music. My presumption is that the bartenders (who are camp attendees) have the right to throw in their favorite CDs and that if they don't have any ideas themselves, permanent Herrang staff working in the office next door put something in. You could e-mail the camp and ask.

Jonas

#3 Post by Jonas » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:36 am

kitkat wrote:Herräng Dance Camp staff do it!

In Bar Bedlam, the bar downstairs, there's always music playing that 60% of the time makes me wish I had space and a partner to dance but of which only a small fraction would actually go over well in a room full of dancers (too fast too many times in a row, too tinny, too weird in other ways, etc.)

[...]

I don't know who's usually responsible for the music. My presumption is that the bartenders (who are camp attendees) have the right to throw in their favorite CDs and that if they don't have any ideas themselves, permanent Herrang staff working in the office next door put something in. You could e-mail the camp and ask.
Most of the music playing in Bar Bedlam is on compilations made by the HDC staff, last summer I think Fatima (HDC/Harlem Hot Shots) did most of them. I remember hearing a lot of Erskine Hawkins, and wanting to dance. But it's been alright for the staff to pop in some of their own as well. When working in the bar the summers of 2004 and 2005 I used some of my Billie Holiday and Bessie Smith compilations.

Upstairs in the Blue Moon Café you'll have Anne, the chef, playing her favourite music (Johnny Cash et al) around lunchtime, and most often there'll be no music in the café nighttime, since the "ballroom" is so close.

/Jonas

Lawrence

Re: Playing non-dance gigs

#4 Post by Lawrence » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:49 am

Do you not have any Starbucks over on that side of the pond?

They also sell dozens of vintage collection CDs from Basie, Ray Charles, and others. It is not at all unique to Starbucks, either.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

djstarr

#5 Post by djstarr » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:38 pm

Lawrence wrote:They also sell dozens of vintage collection CDs from Basie, Ray Charles, and others. It is not at all unique to Starbucks, either.
I know, those bastards; they've got me buying CDs as well as their coffee now. I bought a nice collection of Ella from there a couple of months ago - hits from various song books.

Jonas

#6 Post by Jonas » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:41 am

Haydn wrote:There's a cafe near me where they like to put on different music and arts events in the evenings, so I thought about playing some 30s music there. I rang them today and they sounded keen - they asked me to send in a CD with the sort of music I would like to play. If all goes well, I'll do it one evening in May. They provide the sound equipment, I provide CD deck/mixer and/or laptop with music, and play for 2-3 hours. I guess it would be billed as a 'Vintage sounds' evening, or something like that. It's not licensed for dancing, so I'd play slower stuff and I wouldn't worry about the dance factor. They pay a small amount as well. And it will give me a chance to present some of my favourite stuff to a new audience (I might tell a few dance friends about it, but it wouldn't be a dance night).

Maxine Sullivan's Drink to Me Only With Thine Eyes is the sort of thing I am thinking of playing. I think it's got the right vibe for this cafe in the evening.

So has anyone else done this, or looked into it? I there a new market for well-presented vintage music?
I have never given much thought to actually deejaying in a café setting, that is if we're talking only about non-dancers. A good compilation will do (as those Lawrence and Brenda have suggested, or those that you burn yourself).

When you have a floor of dancers (or a café with possibilities for dancing and dance-interested coffee-drinkers), you can work with the crowd, see what gets them going, changing the mood, etc. For seated, coffee-drinking people, who are not about to dance, and who want a nice background of sound for chit-chat, what is the point of actively choosing the next song, and the next?

Give me some good reasons, and I might change my view (OK, getting paid could be a factor, but apart from that). Probably it's just because I'm not used to the thought of actively choosing songs for pople who won't react by wanting to burst into dancing :)

/Jonas

Eyeball

#7 Post by Eyeball » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:28 am

You will have fun if you find one or two people that really care.

But in a place like that, be prepared for near total indifference.

It is the Jazz lovers wish-dream that people will be flocking over to you or turning their heads and going - 'what is that marvelous sound?' and how you will so want the age of enlightenment to begin right there. No no no....the eating and drinking and sociaizing will go on as if you were invisible.....and you may wish you were when you hear the comments about "cartoon music". Dig?

I've spun for non-dance crowds under many different circumstances. It's a crap shoot.

The very best you can hope for is to meet some new Jazz fans and some good looking women....also people who want to get rid of their dead relative's record collections.

BINGO!!
Will big bands ever come back?

Eyeball

#8 Post by Eyeball » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:35 am

Re-read your post - mostly 30s music, eh? Here in the USA, you would get the "cartoon music" comment over and over. Maybe it is different in the UK.

Carefully chosen 'theme' selections like your Sullivan side will be lost on most people. maybe you could post set list or have them publicize it as a them night in advance and yuo can play a lot of booze and drinking songs. Fun?

Have a tips jar. "Coins for the Cat".

What do you call tips in the UK? Nonexistent?

When is this clambake taking place? I have a friend who lives in London and liikes many types of music. he used/was/is a DJ of some alternative rock stuff. "The Late Dave Arnoff". He'd cheer you on.

Haydn

#9 Post by Haydn » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:35 am

Jonas wrote:For seated, coffee-drinking people, who are not about to dance, and who want a nice background of sound for chit-chat, what is the point of actively choosing the next song, and the next?

/Jonas
I was in there the other night. There were about 25 people, average age 40ish, drinking beer, wine and coffee and chatting and reading. Actually, I am quite interested in actively choosing the next song for background sound for chit'chat.

Haydn

#10 Post by Haydn » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:43 am

Eyeball wrote:... be prepared for near total indifference.

It is the Jazz lovers wish-dream that people will be flocking over to you or turning their heads and going - 'what is that marvelous sound?' and how you will so want the age of enlightenment to begin right there. No no no....the eating and drinking and sociaizing will go on as if you were invisible
I don't have any real expectations, and I'm certainly not looking to 'convert' people. I will play some old jazz music and try to play music that matches the mood of the people there on the evening. The worst that can happen is people tell me they don't like it or ignore it. I don't think I'll invite dancers, I might invite non-dance friends.

Eyeball

#11 Post by Eyeball » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:47 am

Based upon my experiences, it should be an interesting experience.
Will big bands ever come back?

Toon Town Dave

#12 Post by Toon Town Dave » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:38 pm

I don't think a real DJ brings any more value that a mix CD is a non-dance, non-concert social setting.

We were dancing at a gig with live music last night (invited by the band to perform). It was a schmoozefest of local business big wigs. We went on after dessert, the audience paid attention to the introduction and our first number and then basically ignored us and the band after that spending their time talking to the folks at their respective tables. I think the applause stopped after the 3rd song.

I'd expect an audience at a coffee shop to be similar, the music is just background. It's not worth investing in live or semi-live entertainment.

Haydn

#13 Post by Haydn » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:04 am

Well, the guy liked the music on the CD I sent him, and he's going to give me a date in late April. I'm looking forward to the experience :)

Toon Town Dave

#14 Post by Toon Town Dave » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:11 pm

Let us know how it goes.

russell

#15 Post by russell » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:55 pm

Last year I was DJing a gig at the Church City Blues event in Adelaide Australia. It was at a bar I was playing in the downstairs part with both dancers and normal bar patrons. The manager asked me about DJing there on a regular basis but unfortunately not my home city. The material was a mixture of "blues" material from vintage blues to modern blues to more groove blues. I suppose the sort of music fitted in with a "bar vibe".