Are dancers musical tastes changing?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Swifty

#16 Post by Swifty » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:42 pm

GuruReuben wrote:
CafeSavoy wrote:Could it be a reaction to the hot jazz trend?
What "hot jazz trend" is that?
Has there been any "Hot Jazz Lindy Exchange" 's?
...and I'm being serious. I'm quite out of the loop.
It's possible. I've had the same thought. There may not have been hot jazz exchanges but there has been a definite rise in the popularity in the solo Charleston, Blackbottom, Cakewalk, etc.
"Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work when people are watching."

russell

#17 Post by russell » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:55 pm

Just back from a dance camp here in Australia where Peter was one of the teachers. We have a day off in the middle of the camp where we head to the beach and have a dance at night. Peter played soul all night. :shock:
Some people loved it and others hated it. I myself don't mind some soul in moderation but would have preferred to have the music for the night more of a mix.

Swifty

#18 Post by Swifty » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:47 am

Peter is pretty much known for his soul sets these days. He did the same at RAF.

Haydn

#19 Post by Haydn » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:21 pm

Swifty wrote:Peter is pretty much known for his soul sets these days. He did the same at RAF.
He was in the bar at Herrang last year where they played soul/disco for at least one night. That worked because there was still swing upstairs.

Eyeball

#20 Post by Eyeball » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:00 pm

Haydn wrote:
Swifty wrote:Peter is pretty much known for his soul sets these days. He did the same at RAF.
He was in the bar at Herrang last year where they played soul/disco for at least one night. That worked because there was still swing upstairs.
Disgusting. It's like bringing your wife and your whore to the same place and trotting out your whore for part of the night. No respect for the wife who is the corner stone of the relationship. In this instance the wife is Swing music.

"Peter & Caitlin bring a unique brand of instruction, at once articulate and fun-loving, pushing students to always improve their skills, while never abandoning the joyful spirit of the dance."

"A uniqure brand of instruction"

Peter teaches all over the world. Does he bring his soul and disco library with him?

No wonder 'dancer's musical tastes are changing'.

It's a shame. You just can't separate Swing music and Lindy Hop and expect the best. Most everything else is simply an ersatz substitute.
Last edited by Eyeball on Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tornredcarpet

#21 Post by tornredcarpet » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:00 pm

the coffeeshop in RAF is the "blues" side of late night.

I don't think there's anything wrong with djing soul (or any kind of music) as long as you don't totally destroy the lindy part of it, especially when it's a lindy event.

i.e. US Open 2 years ago. Room completely cleared of lindy hoppers once Peter got on except for his friends.
I think that totally goes against any ethics of DJing.
Jesse (Los Angeles, CA/Hampton Roads, VA)

Swifty

#22 Post by Swifty » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:22 pm

Eyeball wrote:
Haydn wrote:
Disgusting. It's like bringing your wife and your whore to the same place and trotting out your whore for part of the night. No respect for the wife who is the corner stone of the relationship. In this instance the wife is Swing music.

"Peter & Caitlin bring a unique brand of instruction, at once articulate and fun-loving, pushing students to always improve their skills, while never abandoning the joyful spirit of the dance."

Peter teaches all over the world. Does he bring his soul and disco library with him?

It's a shame. You just can't separate Swing music and Lindy Hop and expect the best.Most everything else is simply an ersatz substitute.
Disgusting? Melodramatic much? I think Peter & Caitlin are two of the better Lindy Hop teachers out there. And I know that Peter makes a definite distinction between how he dances to Count Basie and how he dances to Sam Cooke.

I know I played about an hour or so of soul at RAF two years ago, in the main room. I think it worked but I wouldn't do that as the foundation of what I spin and I wouldn't have continued it if the room didn't respond to it.

For the record, I don't see ANYTHING wrong with having diverse taste in music and have a strong fondness for Motown and soul as that's what was popular in my house growing up. Personally, I really enjoy the soul party that Peter has thrown post-ULHS the past couple of years, but it's not advertised as anything but exactly that.

Mr Awesomer

#23 Post by Mr Awesomer » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:08 pm

Eyeball wrote:blah blah blah
You'd be wise to stay out of things you know nothing about. I'd also advise you edit yourself.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Eyeball

#24 Post by Eyeball » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:15 pm

Swifty wrote:
Eyeball wrote:
Haydn wrote: He was in the bar at Herrang last year where they played soul/disco for at least one night. That worked because there was still swing upstairs.

It's a shame. You just can't separate Swing music and Lindy Hop and expect the best.Most everything else is simply an ersatz substitute.
Disgusting? Melodramatic much? I think Peter & Caitlin are two of the better Lindy Hop teachers out there. And I know that Peter makes a definite distinction between how he dances to Count Basie and how he dances to Sam Cooke.

I know I played about an hour or so of soul at RAF two years ago, in the main room. I think it worked but I wouldn't do that as the foundation of what I spin and I wouldn't have continued it if the room didn't respond to it.

For the record, I don't see ANYTHING wrong with having diverse taste in music and have a strong fondness for Motown and soul as that's what was popular in my house growing up. Personally, I really enjoy the soul party that Peter has thrown post-ULHS the past couple of years, but it's not advertised as anything but exactly that.
Yes - a bit melodramatic. I couldn't find a melodrama emoticon to go with it.

Sure - a wide taste in music is fine. A wide taste in music for Lindy simply dillutes the actions of the dance and diverts people away from the music that went with the dance.

la musette

#25 Post by la musette » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:41 pm

There's no reason to be so stuffy about it. I consider Lindy a 'street dance' as opposed to a 'ballroom dance' and therefore it is open to influences from all directions. Don't go all Arthur Murray on us! I don't usually like 'groove' because the music doesn't speak to me personally, but I don't think we should restrict ourselves to Count Basie and the like and give up on evolving. Why close the books on Lindy and treat it like a historical relic? Why NOT mix in newer music or different styles?

The only way a DJing sin is being committed here is if the 'groove' clears the floor (or restricts dancing to the same niche of dancers at an otherwise diverse event) and the DJ is oblivious and plays it anyway.

JSAlmonte

#26 Post by JSAlmonte » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:32 pm

Since I brought his name up, jokingly, I feel obliged to clarify. Peter will be the first person to tell you that he's not a lindy hop dj. Wherever he dj's, its usually when the "Lindy Hop Dance" part of the event is done and its just time to throw down some good tunes, chill, and have some fun. That's all it is. It's not a statement of anything political, artisitic, or otherwise. Peter just throws a damn good party.

He'll even say that what he's doing when he's dancing to soul music is not Lindy Hop. It's just dancing. It's a concept that I wish more lindy hoppers could grasp.

Eyeball

#27 Post by Eyeball » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:08 pm

la musette wrote:There's no reason to be so stuffy about it. I consider Lindy a 'street dance' as opposed to a 'ballroom dance' and therefore it is open to influences from all directions. Don't go all Arthur Murray on us! I don't usually like 'groove' because the music doesn't speak to me personally, but I don't think we should restrict ourselves to Count Basie and the like and give up on evolving. Why close the books on Lindy and treat it like a historical relic? Why NOT mix in newer music or different styles?

The only way a DJing sin is being committed here is if the 'groove' clears the floor (or restricts dancing to the same niche of dancers at an otherwise diverse event) and the DJ is oblivious and plays it anyway.
Hi M~

It's really not a matter of being stuffy about it. It is about having a POV and believing in it and adhering to it.

Why do you consider Lindy Hop a "Street dance" and how do you define 'street dance'?

And the ages old question - how long can a dance evolve before it is no longer the dance as conceived or defined by a known set of standards? If you change something too much, it is no longer what it was. There is a window of evolution, I suppose, and the Lindy window has essentially opened and closed many moons ago.

Why not mix in newer music or different styles (different styles of what? I am not sure what you mean there.) Because the dance grew up with the music and was influenced by the music and became much of what it was by the music that inspired it. Why you toss drastically different styles of music into the mix, the dance will reflect the music it is being danced to and then you have something else happening on the dance floor. If you *want* something else happening on the dance floor, then fine. OTOH - If you believe in the continuation of a tradition and to the long defined standards of the dance as named, then you may not want 'something new'.

And what's wrong with it the was it was...or is?

Until someone comes up with "Super Lindy", I like it fine as it stands.

Haydn

#28 Post by Haydn » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:37 pm

By the way, what is 'RAF'? :?

scott

#29 Post by scott » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:50 pm

that would be Rhythmic Arts Festival in San Diego. It is on around NY or something like that.

Haydn

#30 Post by Haydn » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:12 am

scott wrote:that would be Rhythmic Arts Festival in San Diego. It is on around NY or something like that.
Thanks. (The term 'RAF' means something quite different in Britain :wink: ).