being recorded?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

SirScratchAlot

being recorded?

#1 Post by SirScratchAlot » Wed May 21, 2003 3:00 am

how do you DJ's feel about a Venue recording everything you play?

it's obviously an interesting subject.

I guess it's no Big deal, if you have everything that everybody else has, but it does seem weird paying 99 cents a song, or 17 bucks for a CD and then just allowing someone to copy everything, especially if your trying to do or play something different then everybody else...

either way, whats the dealio? be happy and share or follow the laws to keep what you do a tad different...

Opinions?
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

LazyP

#2 Post by LazyP » Wed May 21, 2003 6:06 am

Depends on what they pay me and what they're going to use it for.
If it's a nice guy just wanting to play it at home or so I think it's ok. If the venue is going to use this and play it regularly the I want more money, because that is taking away opportunities for me or other djs to work at this place.
Of course there are many ways to go about this and in the end it all depends on yourself and your relations to the persons in charge of the venue.
The ultimate european swing site!
www.heptown.com

Swifty

#3 Post by Swifty » Wed May 21, 2003 8:53 am

I've never heard of that happening, it sounds weird. I'd probably ask them not to, but would be more than happy to provide a set list with artist, song, and album info.

Lawrence

#4 Post by Lawrence » Wed May 21, 2003 9:46 am

It completely depends on the relationship I have with the venue and the circumstances of how much I'm getting paid: First time with someone I don't like/trust and who is paying me only $20: no way. A regular gig where the owner is a buddy who I trust and know won't use it against me/in lieu of hiring me or someone else, then no problem.

I have recorded my own set or the other DJ's set (good friend and another instructor of mine) at my weekly venue to play when I take a break or when the dance just begins as I set other things up. But I, of course, trust myself to not abuse it a recording of my material. :)
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

GemZombie

#5 Post by GemZombie » Wed May 21, 2003 10:56 am

Well, wouldn't that be rather illegal? So I guess I'd say i'm against it. In general, I'm all for sharing good music, but a venue doesn't have the right to record it without your permission, and even then they'd be limited to how they could replay it.

Mr Awesomer

#6 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed May 21, 2003 11:03 am

I believe this is common practice at a local venue, and what's worse is I don't believe the DJs are informed that they are being recorded. As I've never taken the time to confirm this personally I'm not going to name names, yet, though since it's an interesting and timely topic I'll try to remember to the next time I have the chance.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

mark0tz

#7 Post by mark0tz » Wed May 21, 2003 11:11 am

Hm, I haven't seen this once in the D.C. area. Anywhere. I don't like the idea. However, I'll gladly provide them with a textual playlist (if they ask me up front to record one).
Mike Marcotte

CafeSavoy

#8 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed May 21, 2003 11:13 am

personally i think it's one of those cases of what the person does with it. sort of like recording a live show. you can't use it publicly without permission and kick backs.

JesseMiner

#9 Post by JesseMiner » Thu May 22, 2003 12:36 am

The only times I've ever been asked to be recorded have been at a venue where the owner is a good close friend of mine who only has the best intentions of keeping a personal snapshot of what has happened in his club and of developing a better understanding of what works and doesn't work musically. It's only for his personal archives. These recordings aren't intended or used for any DJing purposes nor even for listen-regularly-at-home purposes as his personal purchased collection is always growing. He's always asked my permission before recording my sets, and I haven't had any problem with being recorded in this situation. His intentions are as honest as mine were when I used to record my radio shows for review and reflection. It's a shame though that I don't have more of those radio shows archived from the early 90s. *sighs*

Jesse

Mr Awesomer

#10 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu May 22, 2003 9:33 am

JesseMiner wrote:The only times I've ever been asked to be recorded have been at a venue where the owner is a good close friend of mine who only has the best intentions of keeping a personal snapshot of what has happened in his club and of developing a better understanding of what works and doesn't work musically. It's only for his personal archives. These recordings aren't intended or used for any DJing purposes nor even for listen-regularly-at-home purposes as his personal purchased collection is always growing. He's always asked my permission before recording my sets, and I haven't had any problem with being recorded in this situation. His intentions are as honest as mine were when I used to record my radio shows for review and reflection. It's a shame though that I don't have more of those radio shows archived from the early 90s. *sighs*

Jesse
Seems cool by me... though he needs to make sure this is made clear to all the DJs that are brought in... and I know he hasn't. Moving forward he should make it a regular practice to do so.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Lawrence

#11 Post by Lawrence » Thu May 22, 2003 6:01 pm

GuruReuben wrote:
JesseMiner wrote:The only times I've ever been asked to be recorded have been at a venue where the owner is a good close friend of mine who only has the best intentions of keeping a personal snapshot of what has happened in his club and of developing a better understanding of what works and doesn't work musically. It's only for his personal archives. These recordings aren't intended or used for any DJing purposes nor even for listen-regularly-at-home purposes as his personal purchased collection is always growing. He's always asked my permission before recording my sets, and I haven't had any problem with being recorded in this situation. His intentions are as honest as mine were when I used to record my radio shows for review and reflection. It's a shame though that I don't have more of those radio shows archived from the early 90s. *sighs*

Jesse
Seems cool by me... though he needs to make sure this is made clear to all the DJs that are brought in... and I know he hasn't. Moving forward he should make it a regular practice to do so.
Gee... I wonder who that anonymous venue owner could be, now, Reuben? :roll: :wink:
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

Mr Awesomer

#12 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu May 22, 2003 7:42 pm

Lawrence wrote: Gee... I wonder who that anonymous venue owner could be, now, Reuben? :roll: :wink:
Well a reliable source did go and confirm the practice... and why is was being done. :D Which is totally cool and makes sense to me, and long as he is making sure those being recorded know so.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

SirScratchAlot

#13 Post by SirScratchAlot » Fri May 23, 2003 4:18 am

I agree with Jessie, if it's a friend no problem, espeically if you would be willing to make copies anyways.

I'm talking more about a professional atmosphere of an event, where you've been hired to provide a service and they are going to use your name to promote the weekend or whatever. in other words they are making alot of Money so if they pay you alot as well, is it cool ya think to share if they are not friends, but just a buisness relasionship?

I have rather mixed feelings going either ways...

most important, if it's a friend why the hell not?
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

CafeSavoy

#14 Post by CafeSavoy » Fri May 23, 2003 10:52 am

it must not be a swing venue then if this person is making lots of money off his dances. most swing venues do well if they just cover expenses.

Lawrence

#15 Post by Lawrence » Fri May 23, 2003 12:25 pm

A reliable source only confirmed that he did it with advance notice when the reliable source, not that it was being done surreptitiously when others were DJing. :) Doing it surreptitiously is the bad, sneaky part of it.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop