Why are all the DJs male?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

kennly

#76 Post by kennly » Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:32 pm

Sadly, Kevin Caruso hasn't been DJing at Java Jive lately...he (like most people) want at least 24 hours notice before being ASKED to DJ that night or the next...

Java Jive must've been great a few years ago, I've heard a lot from Drew and Sheila, plus some people that are considered the "old-timers", those that have been around for awhile...but nowadays, it feels like the newer DJs have no desire to improve or even to get new music...

anyway, about this board, Jesse told me about it this past weekend in Phoenix, and I hadn't heard of it before, so I thought I'd check it out.

Drew

#77 Post by Drew » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:59 pm

kennly wrote:Sadly, Kevin Caruso hasn't been DJing at Java Jive lately...he (like most people) want at least 24 hours notice before being ASKED to DJ that night or the next...
Yah, I don't get people like that. Heh.

Lawrence

#78 Post by Lawrence » Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:22 am

kennly wrote:Java Jive must've been great a few years ago, I've heard a lot from Drew and Sheila, plus some people that are considered the "old-timers", those that have been around for awhile...but nowadays, it feels like the newer DJs have no desire to improve or even to get new music...
Java Jive was hands down my favorite venue in Chicago and one of the best weekly venues around. The music was so good that a few old-timer, local South Siders would come just to sit and listen and watch with smiles on their faces, as if remembering their bygone youth.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Petitetonya

#79 Post by Petitetonya » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:20 pm

What an interesting topic. Yeah, in Seattle some of the top dj's there were and are female. Hep Jen and DJ Leslie (going way back here) were the original swing dj's in Seattle. I started djing after that and now Brenda dj's. There are some other females that occasionally dj in Seattle but they aren't regulars. I agree with Brenda, the Women's of Swing dj nights brought some of our ladies out of the woodwork. However, in Seattle, I would say the female to male dj ratio is pretty even.

Now that I live in LA, the only ladies that I see dj on a regular basis is myself and Giselle. But hey, if the music is good, I don't really care what their gender is. We could always put Reuben in a dress and make him wear lipstick...or maybe Julius since he is just starting out...initiation, initiation!!!

djstarr

#80 Post by djstarr » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:23 pm

Petitetonya wrote:We could always put Reuben in a dress and make him wear lipstick...or maybe Julius since he is just starting out...initiation, initiation!!!
what an idea for the binge! I'd like to see *both* Reuben and Julius in drag.

julius

#81 Post by julius » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:00 pm

Speaking of you and G, you need to make John Crist put YOUR NAMES in the weekly email he sends out, instead of "Reuben and the ladies".

gatorgal

#82 Post by gatorgal » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:20 pm

djstarr wrote:
Petitetonya wrote:We could always put Reuben in a dress and make him wear lipstick...or maybe Julius since he is just starting out...initiation, initiation!!!
what an idea for the binge! I'd like to see *both* Reuben and Julius in drag.
Please post pics if this happens!!! :lol:

Tina 8)

Petitetonya

#83 Post by Petitetonya » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:34 am

Oh yeah, and although I haven't heard her dj in a while, Jenn S is an awesome femail dj too.

Oh yeah, and we should have the bill read "Giselle and Tonya and their male dj bitch Reuben" It would be rude to not list Reuben's name!! :lol:

kitkat

#84 Post by kitkat » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:52 am

gatorgal wrote:Please post pics if this happens!!! :lol:
Why don't you just come to the Binge?

Petitetonya

#85 Post by Petitetonya » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:54 pm

I have the cutest charleston dress with tassles that would show off those long legs of Reubens.

And Julius, no heels for you, we don't want to relive the jam circle crash at lindy summit.

julius

#86 Post by julius » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:07 pm

Petitetonya wrote: And Julius, no heels for you, we don't want to relive the jam circle crash at lindy summit.
Headbanging '04 is in the works.

gatorgal

#87 Post by gatorgal » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:42 pm

kitkat wrote:
gatorgal wrote:Please post pics if this happens!!! :lol:
Why don't you just come to the Binge?
Alas... no moulah. Maybe 2005?

Tina 8)

djstarr

#88 Post by djstarr » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:42 am

Petitetonya wrote:I have the cutest charleston dress with tassles that would show off those long legs of Reubens.
I think I'd rather see you in that dress dear; getting back to the topic of this thread, which is "look how many awesome female dj's there are", I'm really looking forward to the binge this year since you are part of the LA crew now. I've had a blast at the last two, but it sounds like this one coming up will be even better.

Petitetonya

#89 Post by Petitetonya » Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:30 am

djstarr wrote:
Petitetonya wrote:I have the cutest charleston dress with tassles that would show off those long legs of Reubens.
I think I'd rather see you in that dress dear; getting back to the topic of this thread, which is "look how many awesome female dj's there are", I'm really looking forward to the binge this year since you are part of the LA crew now. I've had a blast at the last two, but it sounds like this one coming up will be even better.
Yeah, I am really honored and excited to be one of the LA Binge dj's this year. It should be a lot of fun. Reuben, remember, if you need help let me know...

kitkat

#90 Post by kitkat » Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:26 am

Current events update: The best regular event (or singular occasion, for that matter) I've been to in Paris is having an all-girl DJ night this evening.