Why are all the DJs male?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

gatorgal

#61 Post by gatorgal » Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:04 am

Swingwombat wrote: Because of this all Dj's in Melbourne are learning and growing together and face the same difficulties. There are not as many female DJ's but if anything we get as good if not great response from the dancers as the boys. I feel I am as much of the Melbourne DJ community as any of the boys.

:D Di
I am so glad to hear that. Good luck with your DJ duties Down Under!

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

kennly

#62 Post by kennly » Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:54 pm

hey, it's kennly! just thought i'd pop in and say a few words...

i started djing because most of the DJs at a local (college) venue were quite frankly, terrible, and i was tired of dancing to bad music. drew was moving to minnesota, so he wasn't coming out much, and attendance was down because people can only take so much "bei mir bist du schoen" and louis prima in one night... so i guess i started DJing out of necessity (* i don't want to offend anyone, but 1. none of the DJs mentioned ever post on this board, and 2. their stuff _was and is pretty terrible, Drew can vouch for this)

prior to this, it never crossed my mind to DJ regularly, because most of the DJs already established in the scene were doing a pretty good job.

CafeSavoy

#63 Post by CafeSavoy » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:04 am

kennly wrote:hey, it's kennly! just thought i'd pop in and say a few words...
hi kennly,

welcome.

rayned

c1950sboy

#64 Post by c1950sboy » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:17 am

Don't know if anyone mentioned it, couldn't read thru 5 pages but here in NYC Tomo is a popular dj. And she rocks!

gatorgal

#65 Post by gatorgal » Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:23 am

c1950sboy wrote:Don't know if anyone mentioned it, couldn't read thru 5 pages but here in NYC Tomo is a popular dj. And she rocks!
I met Tomo earlier this year when she came down for the Frankie Cruise. Unfortunately she couldn't go, but I got to hear her spin at a couple of our local venues.

She's my hero! :lol:

Tina 8)

Lawrence

#66 Post by Lawrence » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:56 am

i started djing because most of the DJs at a local (college) venue were quite frankly, terrible, and i was tired of dancing to bad music. drew was moving to minnesota, so he wasn't coming out much, and attendance was down because people can only take so much "bei mir bist du schoen" and louis prima in one night... so i guess i started DJing out of necessity (* i don't want to offend anyone, but 1. none of the DJs mentioned ever post on this board, and 2. their stuff _was and is pretty terrible, Drew can vouch for this)
If you are talking about Java Jive, then that is a shame because Java Jive used to be the hotbed for the best DJing in town before all the in-fighting dissuaded all of them from coming out at all. (I'm talking about four or five years ago with Young Jin, Ray, Kevin, Mary, Roger, and even sometimes me... when Drew was a newbie).

BTW, it seems like a lot of female DJs have popped up since I started this thread. Shana used to be the lone woman on the board.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Platypus

#67 Post by Platypus » Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:04 pm

Nope, she wasn't the lone woman. Maybe not as vocal, but we have been here.......and, hey, this board is officially one year old this month!

dana

#68 Post by dana » Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:06 pm

Platypus wrote:Nope, she wasn't the lone woman. Maybe not as vocal, but we have been here..
Exactly.. some of us were on the email list, too.

d.

Mr Awesomer

#69 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:16 pm

Platypus wrote:Nope, she wasn't the lone woman. Maybe not as vocal, but we have been here.
He likes to make comments based on conjecture.
He must be an excellent lawyer.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

gatorgal

#70 Post by gatorgal » Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:45 pm

GuruReuben wrote:
Platypus wrote:Nope, she wasn't the lone woman. Maybe not as vocal, but we have been here.
He likes to make comments based on conjecture.
Ouch! That one hurt all the way in Florida! :lol:

Tina 8)

djstarr

#71 Post by djstarr » Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:09 pm

Lawrence wrote: BTW, it seems like a lot of female DJs have popped up since I started this thread. Shana used to be the lone woman on the board.
You just did a good job touching a nerve when you named this thread.

djstarr

#72 Post by djstarr » Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:11 pm

Hey Kennly! Are you going to spin some at the Hawaii Exchange? It would be nice to hear what you got - I threw my name in for Dj'ing - I finally registered and am looking forward to some island time.

Shanabanana

#73 Post by Shanabanana » Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:42 pm

Let's hear it for the girls!

Drew

#74 Post by Drew » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:56 pm

Lawrence wrote:

If you are talking about Java Jive, then that is a shame because Java Jive used to be the hotbed for the best DJing in town before all the in-fighting dissuaded all of them from coming out at all. (I'm talking about four or five years ago with Young Jin, Ray, Kevin, Mary, Roger, and even sometimes me... when Drew was a newbie).

BTW, it seems like a lot of female DJs have popped up since I started this thread. Shana used to be the lone woman on the board.
Yes, that is where she is talking about.

And listening to the rotation of DJs there is really where I learned how to DJ, because the music was consistently fabulous as much as it was palatable to everyone who walked in the door. Kevin Caruso was more a pupil of Kevin the denizens of the DJ booth at that time and still comes out and spins sometimes from what I gather.

I split sets with him on occasion at Studio X and Java Jive when I was in town, but the rest of the kids from the campus who spin there have about half a dozen CDs each, and it's either Swing Kids, Louis Prima, or Sinatra. They all think we're crazy the way Sheila and I rave about how CSDS used to be in its heyday.

Lawrence

#75 Post by Lawrence » Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:53 pm

gatorgal wrote:
GuruReuben wrote:
Ouch! That one hurt all the way in Florida! :lol:
That must be because he missed me (or my point) in Austin....
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com