Why are all the DJs male?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

coldnight

#106 Post by coldnight » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:21 am

In our small swing community, we have an almost perfect blance with male and female DJ's. 4 Female and 5 males, including me. So there doesn't seem to be much difference. Vermont is very progressive, I guess! :)

hypr_chik

DJ: no penis required

#107 Post by hypr_chik » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:56 am

I might have registered here when the board 1st came out... or I was just lurking I don't remember. What I do remember is that for some time it was really NOT appealing to me. There are/were a lot of Female DJs and dancers out there who feel/felt similarily and a few conversations seemed to have gone underground either in person or on the LH.ca Ladies Lounge. A reminder about this place and reading some threads that I found interesting/informative, this thread and I guess a slow day at work were contributing reasons to my finally registering (or re-registering).

At one point it was a steriotypical male ego pissing match of how vintage a song was, BPM browbeating and all sorts of stats etc. For me, I don't care about that shyte. If it feels right for the occasion, I'll play it. Whether that means a Satruday morning cartoon set, a Sunday afternoon gossple set (nice jewish gal that I am) or just a song of the moment ie/ at a late night beach party playing "Natural Woman" when I knew people were off in a secluded area skinny dipping while others were still on the floor. I just want people to have people out on the dancefloor having fun.

For me (and from what I can understand a few others) it is/was a lack of confidance and a lack of selling yourself. I often spin with someone cause we like to play off eachother to me thats such a blast (sometimes more fun than dancing) and the added bonus is that we will get to dance a bit. I just don't have the confidance to leave the booth much while solo spinning. Heck, I still get very nervose but absolutely love doing it.

One obstervation I have noticed is that (and yes attitudes have changed a bunch in the last few years) in the past guys tended to get more support ie/ its electronic stuff HE must know what he's doing.

I often have someone sitting with me cause frankly its nice to have the company and not feel as left out and have someone who is able to get away from the booth be able to address concerns ie/ booth is fairly isolated and you really need a drink of water or if its a long set can you press this button if I am not back from the WC in time etc. I find that if its a guy I am talking to he often gets credit for what I spun even if he isn't DJing at all... whats with that? Also I find that I get sqeezed out for short sets (or miss slots alltogether) by more agressive usually male DJs. Gals do you find you often get overlooked? Heck I recall an event where all the DJs were getting acomodations comped and they actually expected me to stay in a hotel room crammed full of guys as a solo girl. I think not!

gatorgal

#108 Post by gatorgal » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:56 pm

Don't know when this thread was originally started, but I'd like to think and hope that things have changed when it comes to judging a DJ by gender. I know it has certainly changed for me.

As I do more traveling, I see a lot more female DJs not only spinning in their local scenes, but being invited as a guest DJ to the larger events. 'Tis a good thing.

The pissing matches continue, but seem to be less boisterous. Or maybe I've done a more effective job of tuning them out. :)

Either way, there's room enough for everyone. Glad to see you on the boards, BTW. :)

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Kyle

#109 Post by Kyle » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:03 pm

Sorry ladies, men make better DJ's hands down.

/ducks, 74 CD cases thrown at my head

djstarr

#110 Post by djstarr » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:19 pm

Kyle wrote:Sorry ladies, men make better DJ's hands down.

/ducks, 74 CD cases thrown at my head
yeah, with their hands down tied behind their back and the lady dj's pressing the track select :P

gatorgal

#111 Post by gatorgal » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:21 pm

djstarr wrote: yeah, with their hands down tied behind their back and the lady dj's pressing the track select :P
Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Platypus

#112 Post by Platypus » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:54 am

Best way to avoid wondering if "loud" = "more time slots" is to be in charge. :D