Can you please every one.

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Jerry_Jelinek

#16 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:24 pm

Not being a dance DJ, I obviously don't target toward the dance crowd.

So I play the music I enjoy sharing. Who ever wants to listen is welcome. If you don't care for what I'm playing, there are 22 hours in the day on WKHR that some other music will be playing.

So I have the distinct advantage of playing the music I love. So far they haven't changed the lock on the studio door yet - so I'm good to go back next week.

mousethief

#17 Post by mousethief » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:56 am

GuruReuben wrote:Funny... I like that entire album.
Even Bli Blip?

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Mr Awesomer

#18 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:58 am

mousethief wrote:
Even Bli Blip?

Kalman
Sure... why not? Now that I don't go out to dance I don't get tired of it.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Lawrence

#19 Post by Lawrence » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:47 pm

Hmm... I honestly thought "They Came to Swing" would tick you off. My bad.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

djstarr

#20 Post by djstarr » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:36 pm

Bob the Builder wrote:With my DJing style I prefer to have transitions between genres, at least playing 2 songs of one Genre in a row before maybe moving on to the next, if I see fit.
Hey Brian, how's it going? One of these days I'm going to come down to Melbourne and dance.

As far as your question, I've been able to in the past year or so transition between genres fairly rapidly once the crowd is up and dancing. At the beginning of a dance I'll stick with fairly mid-tempo classic swing/big band to get everybody up and going [about 30 min] then I mix it up. I try to have something connect the songs unless I'm going for a complete change of pace [which works if you don't do too many in one night]. One technique I find fun which I've picked up from a radio DJ here is "chasing a song". Playing a song in one genre then playing it in another - an example is "love me or leave me" - I've played the Nina Simone version then followed it with a slow Billie Holiday rendition. This also works well with vocal/instrumental versions of the same song - "Ain't Misbehavin" is another song where I have lots of vocal and instrumental versions I can jump between.

And then I find the classic artists who transcend genres perfect as flow songs to transition with - Louis Armstrong works the best.