Dancing before your set

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Matthew

Dancing before your set

#1 Post by Matthew » Wed May 31, 2006 9:13 pm

I find that it helps me immensely if I dance - even a single song - before my set (coming on after somebody else). I feel as though I fit in with the dancers, and I'm able to feel their energy much more easily. This may be old hat to some of the veterans here, but I still think it's cool. Anybody else find benefits from pre-set dancing?

trev

#2 Post by trev » Wed May 31, 2006 9:32 pm

Yes I find that too - I usually have a better sense of the mood and the conditions, and therefore have a better idea about what I can get away with.

Conversely, if for some reason you miss part of the earlier set(s) altogether it can be more difficult to find the groove, and there's the added risk of repetition or doubling up.

gatorgal

#3 Post by gatorgal » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:09 pm

trev wrote:Yes I find that too - I usually have a better sense of the mood and the conditions, and therefore have a better idea about what I can get away with.

Conversely, if for some reason you miss part of the earlier set(s) altogether it can be more difficult to find the groove, and there's the added risk of repetition or doubling up.
Ditto. Part of the reason I still write down my setlists is to help the DJ after me if he/she hasn't been in the room long and is starting their set.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show