New Peeve

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Lars

New Peeve

#1 Post by Lars » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:12 pm

I do the bulk of my DJing at one nightclub (a weekly gig) and I have an on-going problem. Every time I DJ it's a struggle to get my signal to the club's amp. Someone screws around with the wires and settings and connections every week! It's never just a matter of showing up with my lap-top and plugging in. Anyone else have a problem like this or a solution?

Toon Town Dave

#2 Post by Toon Town Dave » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:46 pm

At one of our old venues, this was a regular inconvenience. We just lived with it, I'm sure it was more annoying to the regular DJs the next day after we changed all their mixer settings.

Bob the Builder

Re: New Peeve

#3 Post by Bob the Builder » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:41 am

Lars wrote:I do the bulk of my DJing at one nightclub (a weekly gig) and I have an on-going problem. Every time I DJ it's a struggle to get my signal to the club's amp. Someone screws around with the wires and settings and connections every week! It's never just a matter of showing up with my lap-top and plugging in. Anyone else have a problem like this or a solution?
Not much you can do about it. We have venue in Melbourne that can be like that. The Venue changes the set up every few weeks and then the Rave and club DJ's then also change the set up very often.
There is only two things I know how to solve it.

1. Understand the set up like the back of your hand.
2. Get there in plenty of time to change the set up as you want it.

Brian :D

sonofvu

Re: New Peeve

#4 Post by sonofvu » Sun May 14, 2006 6:43 pm

Bob the Builder wrote: 1. Understand the set up like the back of your hand.
2. Get there in plenty of time to change the set up as you want it.

Brian :D
Good advice. One thing I would add to this. Bring your own cables. Go to Radio Shack and get the cheap rca cables, rca gender benders (female at both ends, these are great for extending cables) and get adapters like rca to 1/8, rca to 1/4 and such. Just in case. If you know the equipment and you have all your stuff it should decrease your stress level a whole bunch.
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.