And we thought lindy hoppers are a tough crowd

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Lawrence

#16 Post by Lawrence » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:38 pm

Serg wrote:Dude, South Florida probably has more Salsa Clubs than anywhere. I've been to a couple of those clubs and a band playing or a DJ playing it all sounds the same to me. There seems to be no variation to the music. But this is just me and I really dislike Salsa.

Serg
All of the Beatles songs sound the same at first, just like Reuben ridiculously thinks that Lindy Groove and Gem thinks that 9:20 plays the same song all night long. Unfamiliarity not only gives the misimpression of monotony, but also (as the cliche goes) breeds contempt.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Mr Awesomer

#17 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:31 pm

Lawrence wrote:just like Reuben ridiculously thinks that Lindy Groove and Gem thinks that 9:20 plays the same song all night long.
Must you take everything so literally?
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Mr Awesomer

#18 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:32 pm

lipi wrote:
GuruReuben wrote:Show me a "Lindy Hopper" who prefers a DJ and I'll show you a bad dancer.
you're cute when you lash out.
If bloody knuckles are cute, then okay.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Lawrence

#19 Post by Lawrence » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:03 pm

GuruReuben wrote:
Lawrence wrote:just like Reuben ridiculously thinks that Lindy Groove and Gem thinks that 9:20 plays the same song all night long.
Must you take everything so literally?
Must you take everything so obtusely?

I know you never get it and I was embellishing on your sarcastic exaggeration, but I guess I hit a nerve because there was at least a grain of truth to the line you edited out. You are usually proud of your ignorance (and contempt); why change now?
Unfamiliarity not only gives the misimpression of monotony, but also (as the cliche goes) breeds contempt.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

trev

#20 Post by trev » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:32 pm

GuruReuben wrote:Show me a "Lindy Hopper" who prefers a DJ and I'll show you a bad dancer.
...assuming the the "Lindy Hopper" has access to a live band of decent quality. Predictable and insipid bands seem all too common. Perhaps not if you live in LA :P

Mr Awesomer

#21 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:30 pm

Lawrence wrote:ignorance
One needs knowledge of a subject to produce a decent joke. Perhaps it's no wonder you don't get mine. Perhaps I just need to answer your remarks with a simple "fuck you" from now on.

On wait, I need to Lawrencize that last comment: :twisted: :roll: :lol: :shock:
Reuben Brown
Southern California

julius

#22 Post by julius » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:56 pm

jmatthew wrote:I don't know, it's really not that hard to hear breaks coming is it? Or just count the damn things out? I'm not entirely sure you need to memorize songs to hit all the breaks. Not that people don't get a little too into the micromusicallity sometimes (I know I've been guilty), but you don't have to have the song memorized to do it.
There's a difference between REALLY LISTENING/dancing to the music that a live band is playing, and dancing to a DJ'ed track you've heard a hundred or more times. At least, that is true for me. When I dance to a good live band I experience the music more intensely and it lifts me up, even if they are playing the same damn warhorse I've heard from a DJ a hundred times before.

Example: every time I go to a dance featuring Barbara Morrison, I reflexively cringe because her songs are played everywhere. But when I am actually dancing while she's on stage, somehow it's different. I feel a stronger connection to the music and the musicians on stage.

A DJ can play more 'variety' but I think that also dilutes the focus. Not all DJ'ed songs, in this day and age, are songs I want to dance to. But when I go hear a band that I know is good, I want to dance every single song. That's my very definition of a good dance band: they make me want to dance ALL THE TIME. No DJ exists that can do that for me anymore.

julius

#23 Post by julius » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:00 pm

lipi wrote: you're totally right and there are few good excuses for never varying your music as a dj. i believe we've had threads up the whazoo on this topic. the difference is that dj's can vary their music fairly easily, while bands only naturally have a much harder time doing so.
I think the issue boils down to this for me: would I rather have some pretty good songs along with some mediocre songs and a few stinkers, with songs all over the map stylistically, or would I rather have every single song be awesome with a narrow stylistic focus?

I choose the awesome. And yes, I do get the chance to experience good live music more often than people in the sticks. That happens to be one of the reasons I don't live in the sticks!

julius

#24 Post by julius » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:03 pm

Lawrence wrote: All of the Beatles songs sound the same at first, just like Reuben ridiculously thinks that Lindy Groove and Gem thinks that 9:20 plays the same song all night long. Unfamiliarity not only gives the misimpression of monotony, but also (as the cliche goes) breeds contempt.
Wait, how often do you go to Lindygroove? What was that about unfamiliarity again?

Lawrence

#25 Post by Lawrence » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:10 pm

GuruReuben wrote:
Lawrence wrote:ignorance
Perhaps it's no wonder you don't get mine. Perhaps I just need to answer your remarks with a simple "fuck you" from now on.
Nice moderator. :roll:
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

Lawrence

#26 Post by Lawrence » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:19 pm

julius wrote:
Lawrence wrote: All of the Beatles songs sound the same at first, just like Reuben ridiculously thinks that Lindy Groove and Gem thinks that 9:20 plays the same song all night long. Unfamiliarity not only gives the misimpression of monotony, but also (as the cliche goes) breeds contempt.
Wait, how often do you go to Lindygroove? What was that about unfamiliarity again?
Touche.

I am too afraid to get beat up if I go to L.A., so I guess I must absolutely hate and despise Lindy Groove and the music they play there.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

mousethief

#27 Post by mousethief » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:09 pm

"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

GemZombie

#28 Post by GemZombie » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:33 pm

Lawrence wrote:
and Gem thinks that 9:20 plays the same song all night long. Unfamiliarity not only gives the misimpression of monotony, but also (as the cliche goes) breeds contempt.
Uh, 'twas a joke relating to the basic lack of tempo diverstity. Also, I was familiar with much of the music... it just sucked.

However, this was years ago, when Sharon was DJing (she doesn't suck, i just didn't care for her music).

context is everyting... but it doesn't hurt if you actually have a sense of humor.

Lawrence

#29 Post by Lawrence » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:38 pm

Shockingly, I completely agree with Adrian.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop

jmatthew

#30 Post by jmatthew » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:46 pm

A DJ can play more 'variety' but I think that also dilutes the focus. Not all DJ'ed songs, in this day and age, are songs I want to dance to. But when I go hear a band that I know is good, I want to dance every single song. That's my very definition of a good dance band: they make me want to dance ALL THE TIME. No DJ exists that can do that for me anymore.
I've been noticing this as I listen to my music lately. There are so many songs I'd never play as a DJ (which means they must suck horribly since I'm a complete n00b and have no sophistication yet) but love hearing live. Live bands can just be so energetic in presentation and audience participation, it's a completely different experience than listening to even the best DJs.
I'm not an obsessive personality. I just happen to pick hobbies that seem to consume my life.

www.lindyguy.com