Event DJ Coordination

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Bob the Builder

Event DJ Coordination

#1 Post by Bob the Builder » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:53 pm

Event DJ Coordination

So you are going to be the DJ Coordinator for a major Lindy hop event (Camp or Exchange).
How would you go about getting your DJ line up?

- Privately invite the DJ’s you think will work best.
- Advertise the DJing positions and then vet the applicants
- A mixture of the above
- Something else.

As a DJ looking to DJ at an event what do you think is fare, and yet produces a high standard result?

Brian

Mr Awesomer

#2 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:04 pm

A‍‍‍
Reuben Brown
Southern California

JSAlmonte

#3 Post by JSAlmonte » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:06 pm

I think the first choice is the way to go. The lindy hop community isn't so huge that it would be hard to dig up reviews from people you trust if you haven't heard prospective dj's yourself which I think is the the most ideal situation. Any schmoe can burn a compilation cd, tell you how many events they've dj'd, and copy and paste sensible dj'ing philosophies from discussion boards. But the only way to know if they'll fit the vision of your event and entertain your target audience is to hear for yourself or get a consensus from others who have.

Which brings up an interesting question. What do people here think about an event coordinator posting a request for references about particular dj's? Not actually post those opinions here, but just asking people to e-mail opinions to evaluate privately.

Toon Town Dave

#4 Post by Toon Town Dave » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:34 am

I agree. Folks are less likely to get their panties in a knot if they are simply not asked than if they are outright rejected.

Either way, when selecting DJs you will have a huge affect on the flavor of the event so you should have a pretty good idea of each potential DJ's capabilities. References shouldn't be necessary. Even if they are I'd take them with a big grain of salt unless they were comming from a peer who I trust. An exchange is not a place for newbie/unproven DJ's.

I'm also one that still believes in highlighting local talent at an exchange rather than importing it. I think that's one of the differences between an exchange and an "Exchange".

Platypus

#5 Post by Platypus » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:13 pm

Make sure that locals don't feel slighted. Don't forget that you are going to have to see them every week for a long long time.

Inviting someone makes them feel respected. If they are nationally known DJs, it is a MUST to invite them. Many people on this site hang out together. If someone feels disrepected, the story might make the rounds.

You may be surprised how many DJs will ASK for shifts if they are coming to your event once they find out you are an organizer.

Regarding referrals: I prefer going through people whose tastes and critiques I know and trust. Privately email people to request input. Don't mass email the request unless it is to something like a group of friends or a club board.

Good luck with your event!