Your insights are appreciated...

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

imarx

Your insights are appreciated...

#1 Post by imarx » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:46 pm

Hello everyone,

This post is only tangentially related to "DJ Skillz," but it seemed a closer fit than any of the other categories, so here goes...

I'm an undergrad at the University of Chicago and a lindy hopper for over three years, and for my World Music class I am writing my final paper on the relationships dancers have with live performers and why live musical performance seems to have a premium of sorts in the swing community (please don't take issue with this comment in your response, as I realize many of you might feel differently ). Anyway, for my research I am interviewing musicians who play gigs for swing dancers as well as swing dancers themselves for their opinions on the matter. In order to get the "whole picture," I would like to solicit your comments on this phenomenon. Specifically:

1) What do you feel that live musicians can provide dancers that you, as DJs, cannot?
2) What do you fell that you, as DJs, can provide dancers that live musicians cannot?

Again, before you post realize that I am aware that a bad band is no substitute for an excellent DJ, so in your responses please assume a comparable level of quality between band and DJ - I am simply looking for the unique qualities that bands and DJs each have to offer.

One other note: by posting on this thread, I am assuming that you are giving me permission to quote you in my paper. If there are comments you do not wish me to use, or if you prefer to be quoted anonymously, please say so in your post.

I hope this post hasn't been too off-putting. Please wax as poetic as you like on the virtues of DJing. Thank you in advance!

Isaac

Bob the Builder

#2 Post by Bob the Builder » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:50 pm

How live and DJed events work with me:

Live Gigs give me
- A visual on how the music is being created
This allows me get to know better how each instrument sounds, and how it is played.
It allows me to pick out the sounds of individual incitements easier.
This all helps in my understanding and dancing with the music (Musicality).
- An interaction with the musicians
Being up front at the stage allows me as a dancer to interact with the musicians. It sets up a two way visual conversation that brings the music and dancing closer together.
- Live jazz as a generalization contains live improvisation.
It encourages me as a dancer to do the same.

DJ’s Gigs give me
-A possible wider selection of swing styles and charts to hear in one night
-The opportunity to dance to the best bands in the world.
-In general a higher level of artist than many live gigs
-A DJ will always be able to spin music that is working with the dancers, it not as easy for a live band to do this.

djstarr

Re: Your insights are appreciated...

#3 Post by djstarr » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:32 pm

1) What do you feel that live musicians can provide dancers that you, as DJs, cannot?

Feedback energy from the band, a give and take that is the same electricity you feel at a great concert, but because you are dancing you can channel the energy into your movements.

A higher level of dancing musically inspired by specific solos/sounds from the band.

Visuals; live muscians are much more interesting to watch instead of the DJ spinning.

Better music; the musicians will play at a higher level because they are influenced by what they see rhythmically on the floor.

2) What do you fell that you, as DJs, can provide dancers that live musicians cannot?

Variety - most bands are in a very specific genre, and as a DJ you can mix up sounds, genres, instrumentation etc.

Tempos - if you have a band with a great leader they will vary the tempo, but they still don't have the tempo flexibility you have as a DJ.

Famous musicians - live music is great but it's still awesome to dance to Billie Holiday, Lester Young, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong etc.

mousethief

#4 Post by mousethief » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:09 pm

Musicians provide energy. There's no other way around it. DJs can manage a room's energy, maybe shift it a bit but a band can just step it up out of nowhere.

Musicians are removed from the intricacies of the dance, so they will often get the crowd moving in directions they would never accept from a DJ.

Musicians can take a well-known song and turn it on its ear without a dancer revolt. When a DJ does this, it's usually just to be different.

Musicians create, while DJs play with the green & red buttons.

Musicians invariably bring new blood with them.
2) What do you feel that you, as DJs, can provide dancers that live musicians cannot?
About nothing.

We can generally get a broader or tighter range of music than a band.

We can play politics a little better.

We might avoid a long drum solo.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

imarx

#5 Post by imarx » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:44 pm

Thanks for your help! Your comments helped me immensely.

Isaac