Professionalism in Swing DJing

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Bob the Builder

Professionalism in Swing DJing

#1 Post by Bob the Builder » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:17 pm

I’m wondering what are your thoughts on providing a professional service as a Swing DJ?
Is there such as thing? If there is, what is it in your view? And do you consider that you fulfill your own standards? Does professionalism extend to your equipment, music collection, ability to really DJ to the dance floor, the way you present your service and your communication with your client i.e. the venue manager?

Brian :D

jmatthew

#2 Post by jmatthew » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:54 pm

My professionalism scales along with the amount I'm being paid. I don't mean to be vulger, but whether or not, and how much, I'm being paid defines the relationship.

If I'm doing a freebie, then the organizer is relying on my pride and sense of personal responsbility to get his needs met, so I play decent stuff, show up on time, try to do a good job, but I don't sacrifice to get it done. Everyone is there to have a good time, including me, so I make sure I have a good time and don't worry too much about "professionalism."

Now if it's a paying gig, which also usually means I'm playing and working for strangers, then I take the professionalism up a notch, I'm not there to have fun, I'm working. I want the music to be fun, but I don't have to have fun. I'm more careful about how I dress, I check with the organizer to see what I should wear, what kind of music they prefer, call them Sir or Ma'am, etc etc.
I'm not an obsessive personality. I just happen to pick hobbies that seem to consume my life.

www.lindyguy.com