Speed control

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Do you use speed control?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:52 pm

Never, I play it as they played it! (even if it was one nights version.)
57%
I've played with it, and think it's useful.
29%
I've played with it, and think the player space could have been used for a drink holder!
7%
What is speed control????
7%

Total votes: 14

Dj G

Speed control

#1 Post by Dj G » Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:52 pm

The best bit of tech out there for my buck!

I can use more songs in different situations with it. I've noticed that the Pioneer MT can create a warble "leslie organ' effect" after +8% though, anyone else find this to be true?

G
Yeah, that's Dj G over there; under the CD Bins, digging contently in the 45 rpm box :)

lindyholic

#2 Post by lindyholic » Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:42 pm

I am a traditionalist when it comes to the music, I play it as it is and I refuse to change it in any way what so ever, I leave it how it is and don't like speeding up or slowing down the tempo because it takes away any energy and such the original soundtrack had.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

yedancer

#3 Post by yedancer » Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:05 am

lindyholic wrote:...because it takes away any energy and such the original soundtrack had.
In general, I don't like to use the pitch control, because I usually don't need to and because I like to stay true to the artist's vision. However, if used correctly on the right song, it's hard to tell it's been changed. There've been several times when I've danced to a song that sounds completely normal, only to find out later that it had been altered.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Spin Doctor

#4 Post by Spin Doctor » Fri Nov 22, 2002 3:40 pm

Your poll needs another choice. I use it all the time when teaching classes. It is much easier than trying to organize different songs with different tempos. And I think it is easier on new students to practice to the same song at different tempos. In beginner classes I use it to slow the tempo. In advanced classes I use it to speed up the tempo.

For dances, I use it on rare occasions. I once accidently used it on a song and had a dancer ask me what recording it was. When I told him he was surprised. He said it was refreshingly different than he had expected.

I <B>always</B> use pitch control when changing tempo so the singers don't sound like frogs or chipmunks. (Did I say that correctly?)

jacques_g

#5 Post by jacques_g » Sat Nov 23, 2002 1:14 pm

If I need to speed up or slow a song, I use Cool Pro to do it before I burn my mixes. Since 1999, I've only done this to 3 songs that I can think of. I rarely got good results for the effort. (Cool Edit Pro has a pitch control to keep the pitch as original as possible).

JG

JohnDyer

#6 Post by JohnDyer » Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:31 pm

I use sometimes use Master Tempo control on my Pioneer CDJ-100s. Lock the pitch, change the tempo. Much more than 10% in either direction and it starts getting a little scary. I don't use it often, but sometimes at the beginning of a dance when there are just beginners on the floor, or if teaching, it can be very handy. On a rare occasion I use it when I want to take the speed edge off just a little to better transition from the previous song.
John Dyer, Denver CO

Ron

#7 Post by Ron » Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:38 pm

When I started, I used speed control sometimes, but not anymore. More than a few % and the song or the singer starts sounding too different (to me at least). If I want girlish sounding Ella, I'll choose an early Ella song. If I'm used to hearing a song at 140 BPM it just sounds wrong at other speeds.

Besides, even 10% slower for a 150 BPM song is 135 BPM, so no big deal. If I want a 135 BPM song, I'll choose one.

Besides, if I ever set the tempo control, I usually forget I've set it and then I accidentally use it for the next song.

Yeah, probably for teaching its useful.