Songs that fade

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Roy

Songs that fade

#1 Post by Roy » Fri Apr 04, 2003 3:15 pm

Are songs that fade out at the end of a recording a no-no? Or do you play them?

GemZombie

Re: Songs that fade

#2 Post by GemZombie » Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:11 pm

Roy wrote:Are songs that fade out at the end of a recording a no-no? Or do you play them?
Never considered it a no-no, just annoying usually.

I'd say I only play a few songs that don't have a real ending, but I think that's just coincidental to the fact that most swing and Jazz bands like true endings.

Toon Town Dave

#3 Post by Toon Town Dave » Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:34 pm

If the fade is actually at the end of the song, I can tollerate it. If it is a totally artificial fade, especially if it's at an arbitrary time (eg 3:00) regardless of the music then it REALLY annoying as both a dancer and a listener ... unless it's a polka in which case the fade should last 0:02 and start at 0:00. :)

szarka

#4 Post by szarka » Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:33 pm

I have no problem fading (and segueing) Disco, Hip Hop, and such, but generally don't care for it with Jazz.

Ron

#5 Post by Ron » Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:38 pm

I play songs that fade away instead of having a positive ending, but if its a slow fade, I'll often make it fade faster. Yeah, dancers may prefer a nice clear and clean ending, but there are some good songs that do that and I can't see rejecting them just because of that. And there are characteristics of songs that I rate as more annoying to dancers, including: songs with extended drum or bass solos, songs greater than 5 minutes, songs with too many breaks, etc. Fade endings don't rate high on my "try to avoid" list.

I know I have a bunch of songs that fade away, but I can't recall any off the top of my head right at the moment, except Eddie Thompson Trio's Surry song.

mark0tz

#6 Post by mark0tz » Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:48 pm

If you're going to fade a jazz/swing song prematurely, you better pay close attention to the phrasing and know the song you're fading out (butchering). It can't be in the middle of an idea, but timed nicely at or towards the end. Some songs just don't give you this opportunity and shouldn't be faded out. I definitely don't make it a practice of this, though.

As to playing a song that has its own fade at the end, then I don't mind it much. Usually those fades are at acceptable places. I, too, often accelerate the fading of such songs making my transition to the next.

After a faded out song, I'm more apt to play a song that fades in, or has a gentle opening, rather than a harsh start. Unless, of course, I'm looking to make a transition.
Mike Marcotte

Soupbone

#7 Post by Soupbone » Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:20 am

If a song has a natural fade, I'll certainly spin it at a dance. I usually try to line up the next tune to be one that has audience clapping at the beginning and let the clapping start before the song completely fades out. That gives a sense of closer.

Of course... I don't have too many tracks that begin with clapping.... but, it seems to be effective.

Nando

#8 Post by Nando » Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:25 pm

I have this one song that has a fade IN AND a fade out.

Janis Siegel - I Want you to be my Baby.

I hate the Fade in.... I hate the Fade out - but I can't help but play it from time to time cuz I just love what's inbetween.

But if I ever meet the producer of her album, I'm gonna give him a piece of my mind.