Equipment rec's for a small outdoor party

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Matt Smiley

Equipment rec's for a small outdoor party

#1 Post by Matt Smiley » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:53 am

So I’m getting married next year and we’re going to try to do the ceremony and reception on a small tropical island where the locals apparently do not rent out their sound equipment. As I am an amateur DJ and several of the invited guests are accomplished DJs I’m hoping we can find a way to avoid having to hire a DJ or a band. So I’m thinking about diverting the money that would be budgeted for the DJ or band and using it instead to pick up some equipment of my own.

I’m thinking: iPod, receiver, speakers.

I don’t know much about the last two, so I’m hoping you guys can point me towards something that:
1.) can power an outdoor party of about 50 guests.
2.) will survive 3rd-world-country baggage-handling.
3.) might double as a decent home audio system once the wedding is over.

Any suggestions?

Matt Smiley

#2 Post by Matt Smiley » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:59 am

Help a brother out here.

How about those Fender units that fold up to be like a suitcase?

Would something like that be enough for about 50 people?

Is the sound decent?

Can it survive being shipped around a bit?

Mr Awesomer

#3 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:10 am

Strom's got one of those things I think. We were using it during the afterhours at Showdown and it was plenty loud. Not sure if you'd want it in your living room though.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

LindyChef

Re: Equipment rec's for a small outdoor party

#4 Post by LindyChef » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:56 am

Matt Smiley wrote: 1.) can power an outdoor party of about 50 guests.
2.) will survive 3rd-world-country baggage-handling.
3.) might double as a decent home audio system once the wedding is over.
These three things are very difficult to reconcile - the sonic qualities of an outdoor sound system differ greatly from the speakers you would use in a home audio system due to the differences in construction - indoor speakers are much more delicate, so you'd want to get ruggedized outdoor speakers (for your travel considerations) which would not look too great when you finally got them back home. Plus you also need an amp for your sound system.

I had a lot of success this past weekend at STLBX using Sonic Impact portable speakers in somewhat noisy environments with groups of 4-5 people ... maybe a set of two would do ... at $100 for the two, it wouldn't be too bad of an investment ...

wheresmygravy

#5 Post by wheresmygravy » Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:29 pm

I have been impressed with the Fender systems. i think the one I have seen at events most is the 250. Might be a little large to lug around.

The 150 might work fine I just have not used one yet.

Matt Smiley

#6 Post by Matt Smiley » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:58 am

I think you guys might be right about the outdoor/indoor thing being hard to reconcile, so perhaps I'll drop my third consideration. I think the 250 might be what I end up getting. Instead of doubling as a home audio system, it'll double as my portable swing event sound system for things like DCLX. Basically, as long as I can find a reason to use it again, I'll be happy.

Nate Dogg

#7 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:46 am

I would go with a laptop instead of an iPod, there is a good chance a few of your DJ guests are laptop DJs. They could bring their laptops to the wedding.

Nathan

mark0tz

#8 Post by mark0tz » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:57 am

Matt,

The fender unit will work well for your purposes. I've been thinking about getting one myself for our dances and other events. I, too, have been impressed by their units. Portable and affordable, and good sound. They are kind of heavy and so shipping it to 3rd-world-country might become costly...

You'll get hella mileage out of an iPod. So, you might want to get one just to use one. With the right adapters and such, it will connect alright with the Fender system. I think it's called a Passport, no?

Good luck and congrats.
Mike Marcotte

Toon Town Dave

#9 Post by Toon Town Dave » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:36 pm

The passport 250 is a decent unit. It's a PA so it has a ton of XLR inputs but only 2 stereo inputs.

The University club here rents one from the students union. It's more than adequate for a room of 40-ish people. The unit they get sounds like it's been used and abused but mechanically, it's held up well.

Slick Mike was DJ'ing at Copley Square in Boston this summer, I think it was a 250. There were 20-30 swing dancers outdoors. The sound was just enough for the area. I don't think the volume was cranked up either.

JohnDyer

#10 Post by JohnDyer » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:27 pm

Yet another endorsement for the Fender Passport 250. We have 3 units here in Denver/Boulder and they get used a lot (thinking about getting a unit myself). I dunno about shipping though. They are pretty heavy, and oddly shaped. Has anyone here actually travelled with the 250? Shipping with USPS, Fedex, UPS - maybe, but a baggage handler - I'd be wary (having seen baggage handlers do their "thing" with suitcases). Sound is excellent though, it's a snap to set up, and the speakers have holes in the bottoms for optional speaker stands. Definitely loud enough for what you're looking for.
John Dyer, Denver CO

wheresmygravy

#11 Post by wheresmygravy » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:14 pm

It sounds like we have quite a bit of experience with the 250, what about the 150 or even the 80. At 28lbs, the 150 may be enough. with 150 watts per channel. and you could probably pack it in a plastic case for transport.....

Lawrence

#12 Post by Lawrence » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:55 pm

Regarding the Fender Passports, it depends on how much you are into sound quality. The Fender is functional, but I have never liked the sound quality. It is designed for voice speech, not music. Plus, even the Fender would be a hassle shipping or putting on the plane.

I'd suggest looking for somewhere to rent the equipment on the island. I doubt it is so impossible as you might initially think, unless it REALLY is a remote tropical island with 100 natives. Even third world countries enjoy music and have loudspeaker systems. Also, remember that EVERYTHING is negotiable in a third world country: everything is for sale, everything is for rent... for the right price. All you need to do is convince them they are getting a good deal. It's the way of life down there, especially when dealing with tourists.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Matt Smiley

#13 Post by Matt Smiley » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:11 am

Thanks everyone. Lots of good food for thought so far.