Laptop DJ's - tools to keep files in sync?

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

coldnight

Laptop DJ's - tools to keep files in sync?

#1 Post by coldnight » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:56 am

Hello folks, I was wondering what file tools everyone are using to keep copies of thier swing music in sync?

I have a server with plenty of space on it, while my hand-me-down DJ laptop only has 6gb of internal disk. It now has 2 external 6GB disks too, so I am using http://www.superflexible.com to keep directories in sync. I am working on updating the mp3 tag info with BPM and other notes. When I get out there to play, I'll want to make notes on the fly and copy the updated files back to the server. Anyone else facing this kind of situation? Anything better out there?

John Antram

Mr Awesomer

#2 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:50 am

Just get a portable 160GB harddrive and take all your music with you. No need to copy back and forth each time you DJ.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

GemZombie

#3 Post by GemZombie » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:13 am

www.pocketec.net

These drives are the best for portable DJing. Large size, no need to plug them in to an external power source (they are powered off the USB bus), and they are USB 2.0 (fast).

It's what i use.

jmatthew

#4 Post by jmatthew » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:59 pm

And if you're not rich, just buy a 140 dollar 160 gig external hard drive and a 10 dollar power strip. :)

I'd love to carry around a little less weight, but it's not worth an extra million dollars to lose 4 square inches and half a pound. :)
I'm not an obsessive personality. I just happen to pick hobbies that seem to consume my life.

www.lindyguy.com

yedancer

#5 Post by yedancer » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:27 pm

Just make sure not to lose the drive.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

LindyChef

#6 Post by LindyChef » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:10 pm

http://www.smsync.com/

SmartSync Pro can automatically be setup to synchronize on a schedule and compare date/time stamps of files and update all copies. In your situation, I think it's the easiest and most economical solution.

We use it at work to keep our files synchronized at our colocation site.