building a PC talk!

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

SirScratchAlot

building a PC talk!

#1 Post by SirScratchAlot » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:07 pm

I love tampering with my stuff, yes, sometimes it remains on the floor in parts but still , the joy of building creating ,cutomizing and lastly having a machine that is best for what you do. so Im building my dream machine...

because this is a swing DJ forum, thats number one, playing music, and storing it, so yea, storage.

I like smaller storage unit. they are more affordable and Id rather lose one 74 GIG drive then one 400 gig drive.
so, western digitals ATA Raptor 10,000rpm is the choice right now. find something better, Post it!!! with a Link to back up the claim!

motherboard im holding off just a tad...still thinkin. But if I were to pick right now, depending on the CPU one of these 4;

Via K8T800
ViaPT880
Nforce3 150
Intel 1875p

Processor, again, I sorta holding off. right now on my 2 desk tops, I have both an AMD 3200
and a P4 HT 3.2.

But Im lookin for speed and thus I Look forward to either the P4EE or the AMD FX-53 in the near future.

But what Im really excited about ,,have you guys seen the Benchmarks on ATI's x800 XT Video Card?
dream come true! Nvidia VS ATI ...haha the race is on...but what is so amazing is the Jump in technoligy. these new cards more then double the speed of past cards.

Oh, and just to be fair, you might want to check out Nvidia's Geforce 6800 Video Card.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread is for those building PC's ,who want the fastest sh1t retail possible, available to the public.

Mac people need not respond ,we already know how fast they build those things.
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

Toon Town Dave

#2 Post by Toon Town Dave » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:18 am

I'd go with an Athlon64 system, I'm keen on boards from MSI, Tyan or Asus. Gigabyte used to be good although I haven't used one of their boards in years.

As far as the hard drive, if you are planning on doing video work the 10K RPM drives will be useful. If you are just using them for storing your music collection, then speed doesn't really matter. You could stick a couple drives in, one fast one and then RAID a pair of slow ones for bulk storage. At least if one goes you have a window to fix it. I really like the WD drives for performance. Seagate makes some good drives that are pretty reliable and run cool.

coldnight

#3 Post by coldnight » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:43 am

Checkout this case mofication. This was built by a friend of mine. It looks like perhapps a good solution if you need massive storage without a laptop & external disks. Then you can put almost anything you want inside it. :)