BBE

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

KevinSchaper

BBE

#1 Post by KevinSchaper » Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:51 pm

how's about one more once...

Anybody tried using a BBE sonic enhancer in their dj setup?

I picked up a 362 for 80 bucks at guitar center - and I've tried it out with a couple of sound systems that were on the weaker side, and it helped a little with everything - but it's especially nice to get some more highs and lows out of 30's recordings..

they have a demo of a software version at www.bbesound.com

Spin Doctor

#2 Post by Spin Doctor » Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:12 pm

Nope. But I use a Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro DSP1124p. It took me a few times to figure out how to set it up, but once I figured it out it made an amazing difference in the sound quality.

I have had several venue managers tell me that my system is the best sounding system they have ever heard in their places. I think a big piece of that success is the feedback destroyer. It identifies rogue frequencies and reduces the signal strength selectively on them. I can go though and review the settings that the system has set and confirm or modify them manually.

In any venue I can tune the sound system to the room in about 15-20 minutes. As an example, I did a gig in an old hotel in October and the sound system was a little muddy when I first turned it on. After about 20 minutes of tuning, the hotel manager walked back into the room and told me the system sounded remarkable. He said there was a very noticeable difference from 20 minutes earlier. Later that night he told me that no system he had ever heard in that room sounded as good as mine.

Another component that lends to that success is the RCF powered speakers. There is just nothing else like them anywhere. But they're no longer in production.

So what does your BBE sonic enhancer do? How does it work?

KevinSchaper

#3 Post by KevinSchaper » Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:22 pm

Spin Doctor wrote:Nope. But I use a Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro DSP1124p. It took me a few times to figure out how to set it up, but once I figured it out it made an amazing difference in the sound quality.
Cool! I recommended it to the viscount, they figured out that dropping a couple of specific freq's on an eq helps, but I'll bet that thing will do some more good..
So what does your BBE sonic enhancer do? How does it work?
I dunno - their site talks about a bunch of phase correction kinda stuff that's over my head. In practice it acts a lot like a 2 band eq, but does a lot better at adding "thump" to the rhythm section on 30's recordings than any regular eq I've used..

I'm curious how some of the 'bass enhancer' kinda things would do for that, but nobody had any hooked up around here, so I just went with the bbe..

Spin Doctor

#4 Post by Spin Doctor » Wed Nov 27, 2002 6:37 pm

KevinSchaper wrote:...does a lot better at adding "thump" to the rhythm section on 30's recordings than any regular eq I've used...
My RCF-300A powered speakers do a heck of a job at low frequencies. Mackie bought out RCF a few years ago and at first they continued to build RCF speakers while retooling the plant to build parts for their own speakers. But eventually Mackie did something very sad! They stopped manufacturing RCF speakers.

IMHO the RCF speakers are head and shoulders above Mackie, JBL, or any other similar system. I have a sound engineer who does sound for me when I bring bands like Lavay Smith to town. He has some awesome equipment and he tends to set up two huge bass cabinets and four standard cabinets for speakers. The cabinets stack up to eight feet off the floor. Then I come in and put my RCF's next to his stuff so I can DJ the band breaks.

He always groans with envy when we're both doing sound checks 'cuz when we switch from his system to mine, if you're not looking and just listening you can't tell the difference.