Questions re formats and players

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

myuen

Questions re formats and players

#1 Post by myuen » Sun May 02, 2004 2:32 am

Hey all

Haven't been to swing djs for ages--nice change since the days of yahoo!

I recently purchased a new and bigger hard drive for my laptop and am about to copy many of my cds to it before sending the lot back to the us(i'm on the road and need to travel light). I will be using some of the music on my laptop for djing, and the rest for personal use. I'll be using EAC and LAME to convert my cds into mp3s.

After reviewing what's been said in other threads here, I have a few questions:

1. Are there any *disadvantages* to using VBR? Thus far, from what i've read here and in other forums, VBR seems to produce files that are smaller in size than a comparable high-quality level mp3 without a noticeable loss in sound quality--correct?

2. I've also read that some portable players have trouble reading VBR mp3s, tho many of those posts were older, perhaps 1-2 years old; has this been worked out since then?

3. Got any other tips/things I should consider when copying my collection to disk?

Thanks for the help

Mike
"I might not be able to dance, but I can eat!"
-Brant Smith

GemZombie

#2 Post by GemZombie » Mon May 03, 2004 2:00 pm

Old versions of Media Player, and some older hardware mp3 players (and maybe some really cheapo modern ones) will mess up on the time when playing VBR... almost all can play them though.

Latest versions of any of todays software will play VBR files with no problems.

I think the only reason more people don't use VBR is out of ignorance or complacency.