Extigy or similar

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Yakov

#16 Post by Yakov » Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:09 am

get closed captioned TV to see how they like the music in the next room. and a computer in there to send you feedback and requests to dance. so you can go to either room and DJ the same, get another computer with a network appliance to run the primary DJ system remotely... what next oh yeah GET DRUNK AND JUMP OFF A ROOF

JohnDyer

#17 Post by JohnDyer » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:12 am

GemZombie wrote:My old laptop had problems with usb bus power. Most newer machines (especially those with USB 2.0) will have no problems powering your bus powered peripherals.
Hmm... My laptop (Dell Lattitude) only has one 1.1 USB port and I've been compensating by adding a PCCard (PCMCIA) 2 port USB2.0 hub. I'm wondering if the PCCard hub would supply enough power? I've been using a self powered Extigy and external HD up to now. Anybody know? I"d love to get the MP3+ unit - small and one less AC outlet needed (hopefully)l
John Dyer, Denver CO

JohnDyer

#18 Post by JohnDyer » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:11 pm

Well, I just went ahead and bought the MP3+ to see if it would work. It does (YES!) ... BUT...

Do you MP3+ owners use the headphones jack for your master out so that you can use the volume dial, or do you use "Line Out" - in which case you have to use the mouse on a software slider or whatever to change the volume?

I always liked the Extigy for its handy volume knob. Simple to tweak in the middle of songs.

Also, perhaps starting another topic - does a NON Line Out (like headphones jack) into an amp possibly damage the amp?
John Dyer, Denver CO

LindyChef

#19 Post by LindyChef » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:41 am

One thing about USB sound cards and XP SP2 - you might encounter a little problem with your USB sound card after you've upgraded (i.e. it won't work). Previously my soundcard worked fine from my USB outlets, but now it needs to be plugged into a powered USB hub. See this knowledge base article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=870893

wheresmygravy

#20 Post by wheresmygravy » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:00 am

I have the MP3 and use the Line Out as the main and the headphones as my monitor. The MP3+ is a much better sound card than what is in my tablets headphone sound card.

I run the Line Out into a mixer and adjust the volume so that I can 'tweak it' with the sliders in PCDJ (which I use for DJ'ing)

GemZombie

#21 Post by GemZombie » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:14 am

JohnDyer wrote:Well, I just went ahead and bought the MP3+ to see if it would work. It does (YES!) ... BUT...

Do you MP3+ owners use the headphones jack for your master out so that you can use the volume dial, or do you use "Line Out" - in which case you have to use the mouse on a software slider or whatever to change the volume?

I always liked the Extigy for its handy volume knob. Simple to tweak in the middle of songs.

Also, perhaps starting another topic - does a NON Line Out (like headphones jack) into an amp possibly damage the amp?
I use the headphone jack, and the MP3+ has a volume dial, which works fine.

Using the volume out into a pre-amp won't likely damange the pre-amp unless it is providing major juice. Your sound quailty can be affected, however... ask anyone who's ever plugged a cd-line out into a phono-line in. :P

JohnDyer

#22 Post by JohnDyer » Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:57 pm

Hmmm.... I use PCDJ Red too with the MP3+ card, but am searching in vain for EQ adjustable settings in software. I bought the MP3+ to cut DOWN on the amount of equipment and number of AC jacks needed for a gig.

I found the monitor/main volume keyboard shortcuts for PCDJ Red- that seems to work well enough as well (faster than using a mouse).

Jesse, thanks for the note about using the headphones/volume solution. I did notice an awful lot of noise during what should have been silence coming out of the preamp/amp (Fender Passport) when using the line out - I wonder if that will change using the headphone jack - I'll find out in a couple of days.

When I use my huge Pioneer rig (2 CD100s, 1 Mix300s in a wooden coffin), there is absolute silence. Wondering if it's the power the MP3+ card is getting from the USB port...
John Dyer, Denver CO

jmatthew

#23 Post by jmatthew » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:21 pm

I have the MP3 and use the Line Out as the main and the headphones as my monitor. The MP3+ is a much better sound card than what is in my tablets headphone sound card.
er, how did you do this? :)
I'm using Traktor, I'd kill for this setup. :)
I'm not an obsessive personality. I just happen to pick hobbies that seem to consume my life.

www.lindyguy.com

wheresmygravy

#24 Post by wheresmygravy » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:34 pm

jmatthew wrote:
er, how did you do this? :)
I'm using Traktor, I'd kill for this setup. :)
I use PCDJ Blues, I connect the MP3+ to my USB port. I attach my headphones to the headphone jack of my laptop. I setup the hardware configuration in PCDJ to have two audio outputs, Sound card 1 is MAIN and Soundcard 2 is monitor. I assign the MP3+ as Soundcard 1 and Internal soundcard as Soundcard 2.

In addition, if I have an extra set of AUX inputs into the mixer, I run the headphone output into channel 4 of the mixer and then I can monitor any of the CDs, Soundcard 1 or Soundcard 2, cuz sometimes the headphone output is not loud enough in a big room.

JitterbugJunkie

Re: Extigy or similar

#25 Post by JitterbugJunkie » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:01 pm

fredchu wrote:Need advice. I just bought a Fender Passport PD-150 to play tracks from a Compaq Laptop. The sound is great (and it fills the house) when music plays. BUT, in quiet periods (i.e. no music), I get crackling and humming. I understand from Compaq that it's the sound card noise being amplified. Does anyone have a solution? When I search for external sound cards on TechTV, I got a link to Extigy for $150. Is this a good solution or is there something better? Thanks.
I had this same hum with my new laptop. Even through an MP3+. I was using an extension cord to get on a separate circuit for a couple days till I figured this one out. I found it to be a ground loop. Use one of those 3-prong adapters on the laptop power cord to convert to use only 2 prongs. End of ground loop and end of hum...

One of those "who knew" kind of fixes.

Slickmike

Re: Extigy or similar

#26 Post by Slickmike » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:06 pm

JitterbugJunkie wrote:
I had this same hum with my new laptop. Even through an MP3+. I was using an extension cord to get on a separate circuit for a couple days till I figured this one out. I found it to be a ground loop. Use one of those 3-prong adapters on the laptop power cord to convert to use only 2 prongs. End of ground loop and end of hum...

One of those "who knew" kind of fixes.
That's totally the case...I have found on a ton of different system that the ground in the power cord will cause a noise. 3 prong to 2 prong apadter....$0.39 solution at home depot takes care of it all.