Portable HD MP3 Player

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Yakov

#46 Post by Yakov » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:22 pm

or... get an iRiver which will actually do what you want.

reasons to not use ipod:
-not every computer has itunes
-file transfer between computers is impossible, as is (frinstance) using a different computer for its burner
-if your computer has ferinstance a 9gig hard drive you are screwed. with a HD-compatible product you can keep the only copy of the file on the device

etc etc etc

GemZombie

#47 Post by GemZombie » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:13 pm

Nah, for now i'm fine with my el cheapo mp3 player which handles things when i want a bit of traveling music, and my external 80gig drive. I like my laptop for DJing.

Yakov

#48 Post by Yakov » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:42 am

p.s. my "pogo" crapod still works but it crashes randomly in the middle of songs. not too recommended

kitkat

#49 Post by kitkat » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:12 pm

My sister just got her boyfriend a Creative Labs brand Zen Touch model 40GB MP3 player for his birthday. I helped--I found it on Craigslist. Now I'm jealous. Hers cost $150, though it was listed at $200. I found a $150 40GB iPod, and I want to see if this guy will take $100--maybe $100 plus one of my gourmet cheesecakes.

I don't really want the crappy battery of the iPod, though.
Question about them: can you edit playlists, add songs to other playlists (and create new playlists), & delete files from the iPod's hard drive on the device? Those are things the Zen Touch can do that I'm now really jealous of. Even for $100, I'm not sure a device I only sort of wanted--without all the features I want--is worth it.
(You can also edit the ID3 tags on the Zen Touch device, though that seems like quite a waste of time for lots of songs.)

*sigh*
Anyone want to pawn me an old MP3 player? I'd like to get it for $2 or $3 per gigabyte. Though I can't send a cheesecake by mail, I can sweeten the deal with other, nonperishable baked goods (ever had black forest or peppermint brownies?)

Please contact me soonish so I don't go out & buy something tomorrow only to slap my forehead when I hear your better price.
Thanks!
-Katie in Minneapolis

PhilShapiro

#50 Post by PhilShapiro » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:35 pm

The iPod has a very limited on-the-fly playlist feature. You can add items to a special playlist and remove them, but that's about it. You can't move items from one playlist to another or change their order, or modify any other playlist, or delete songs from the device. If you have a computer to plug it into then you can do anything you like with your playlist. But I'm guessing if you had a computer on hand you'd just DJ off of that.

The one song attribute you can "edit" on the iPod is the song rating. It also keeps track of play count and last time played, but you can't see or modify that directly on the iPod itself.

I'd check ebay if you're looking for a deal on a Zen Touch.